TEA Attendance Report Now due June 3rd

AEfx

Did I ever tell you the time i saw a newborn - 24 hour old baby - at MK?

WOW. That's even worse than the couple I saw at Wal-mart a month or two back who had a baby who didn't even appear to have fully opened it's eyes yet. And they had the baby in a blanket laying across the toddler seat at the front of the cart. (And something told me they hadn't disinfected it since the last kid sat in it with his crappy diapers.)

A couple. The mom and the dad. Both. With baby. Wal-mart. One of them couldn't have just gone to get whatever items they needed while one stayed home with the baby, or at least stayed in the car?

It's the lynchpin of modern parenting - being in love with your child instead of just loving them, yet being so arrogant to think that they should be dragged around everywhere you go as an accessory because you don't want to change your life just because you became a parent.

cheezbat

Last week while standing in line for the Jungle Cruise, there was a couple in front of me holding an infant...couldn't have been more than a couple weeks old. It was hot as heck and humid on top of that. I stood in line glaring at them. I'm sure they planned their vacation out well in advance, but still...who the heck brings a newborn to a theme park in the middle of the god-awful summer??? Made me so annoyed.

PhotoDave219

Original Poster
Last week while standing in line for the Jungle Cruise, there was a couple in front of me holding an infant...couldn't have been more than a couple weeks old. It was hot as heck and humid on top of that. I stood in line glaring at them. I'm sure they planned their vacation out well in advance, but still...who the heck brings a newborn to a theme park in the middle of the god-awful summer??? Made me so annoyed.

That so much worse. I know I have friends that brought their month old To get a photo with Mickey but they live 10 minutes from MK. They were in and out quick.

Animaniac93-98

Fall 2004, back in the Research Days, nearing the end of my shift, like 430/5PM, just walking around Main Street, taking it all in and wondering what life choices brought me to that place (and whether to go to PI later) and I see a large group come in from under the train station. Man pushing woman in wheelchair and all their friends around them. She's holding the baby. They come up to me and we chat and he exclaims "its her first visit", I ask how old, father says "Yesterday", I ask that to the new mother - whom is not looking anywhere near as ecstatic as dad - she confirms. I quietly remind her of the first aid clinic should anyone in their party need it. She tanked me and she was not happy by any stretch of the imagination. Yet Dad was tickled pink to bring his daughter to Disney as a one-day-old.

That's disgusting, but I'm sure some fans will still think that story is "cute" or "magical".

AEfx

That's disgusting, but I'm sure some fans will still think that story is "cute" or "magical".

Yes, folks will say "it was worth it to see them smile" (was probably gas, LOL) and that "they" (the parents) will have the memories...and it's like...being with this being you just created should be magical enough even if you are in your living room...you shouldn't need a theme park. If you do, create one in your home with some cardboard boxes - your kid won't know the difference.

It extends to even before they are born...I was walking through WS once and this woman was smoking a cigarette (outside of the smoking area) and had a huge glass of beer and was taking swigs and puffs back to back like it was her first frat party. She had someone in front of her, and when they moved I saw that she had to have been at least 8 months pregnant. At least. She was carrying so low her water could have broken at any time.

I realize we all sound very judgey - and we are - and as someone who doesn't have kids, I'm not supposed to have an opinion (even though I was one LOL). If anything, though - it's more objective. I don't have children because I have no burning desire to and I'm not willing to make the sacrifices and compromises that it takes to be a good parent. I like to go to bed when I'm tired and wake up when I am ready, and I'm so busy and have so many things I already don't have time to do, and if I was going to have a child I wouldn't feel right if they were not the priority.

I'm not willing to make the sacrifice (and lord knows, there are plenty of children in the world so the species is A-OK). But there are many, many people who also aren't willing yet have them anyway...

Crazydisneyfanluke

After my experience at WDW last week I can't figure out why attendance is so high. We had a miserable time.
I was talking to one of my suppliers to the restaurant i work at, they said that they did everything they wanted to at Disney in 2 days, while they went to SW for 1 day and Universal for another 2 days. They also talked about how much they hated the "new FP system" and how "chaotic" it was to book them.

Todd H

I was talking to one of my suppliers to the restaurant i work at, they said that they did everything they wanted to at Disney in 2 days, while they went to SW for 1 day and Universal for another 2 days. They also talked about how much they hated the "new FP system" and how "chaotic" it was to book them.

Between FP+, planning every frickin' day months in advance, ridiculous prices, CMs that were outright rude and obnoxious, scooters and strollers everywhere, unbearably long lines, and a stale lineup of attractions I don't know if Disney could ever lure me back. Magic indeed. Even my son was ready to leave after about three days. Glad he is now old enough to ride the big boy rides. I think he will have a blast at UO next year. Three days there...two at the beach...still cheaper than WDW.

PhotoDave219

Original Poster
Between FP+, planning every frickin' day months in advance, ridiculous prices, CMs that were outright rude and obnoxious, scooters and strollers everywhere, unbearably long lines, and a stale lineup of attractions I don't know if Disney could ever lure me back. Magic indeed. Even my son was ready to leave after about three days. Glad he is now old enough to ride the big boy rides. I think he will have a blast at UO next year. Three days there...two at the beach...still cheaper than WDW.

You realize, despite all our criticisms, thats the last thing any of us really want to hear. That people had a bad time. None of us want that.

We all want the Disney that we grew up with... and unfortunately that ship seems to have sailed. So maybe with enough speadsheets and graphs, the MBAs (who never set foot in the parks) might get the point that returning visitors arent happy....

Crazydisneyfanluke

Im sorry to hear that :(. I hope your next trip (whenever that it maybe) is a lot better.

Captain Chaos

You realize, despite all our criticisms, thats the last thing any of us really want to hear. That people had a bad time. None of us want that.

We all want the Disney that we grew up with... and unfortunately that ship seems to have sailed. So maybe with enough speadsheets and graphs, the MBAs (who never set foot in the parks) might get the point that returning visitors arent happy....
As long as those spreadsheets and graphs continue to show increased profits, the MBAs (and management) will continue to be happy.

Vegas Disney Fan

The irony with amusement parks is the more popular they get and the busier they get the less fun they are. You'd think at some point it's going to bite Disney but it hasn't yet, they just keep getting busier. I've been to Disneyland dozens of times over the last several years and my favorite day is still a cold rainy Thursday in October with an early close, also no crowds. I froze my butt off but felt like a kid in a candy store running from ride to ride with no lines. My least favorite day was Martin Luther King weekend this year, it was so busy on Saturday I left the park before 11am and spent the day watching movies at my hotel, I can deal with lines but when the paths get shoulder to shoulder it's time for me to leave.

PhotoDave219

Original Poster
The irony with amusement parks is the more popular they get and the busier they get the less fun they are. You'd think at some point it's going to bite Disney but it hasn't yet, they just keep getting busier. I've been to Disneyland dozens of times over the last several years and my favorite day is still a cold rainy Thursday in October with an early close, also no crowds. I froze my butt off but felt like a kid in a candy store running from ride to ride with no lines. My least favorite day was Martin Luther King weekend this year, it was so busy on Saturday I left the park before 11am and spent the day watching movies at my hotel, I can deal with lines but when the paths get shoulder to shoulder it's time for me to leave.

Yes. Its busy. Time for a Chart!

WDW2014.jpg

That's the entire year. September, for about 10 days, is the time to go.

WDWDeadSeason.jpg

Specifically, That time frame. The rest of the year kinda sucks.

Edit: Sucks for those of us who hate crowds.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom