TEA Attendance Report Now due June 3rd

Mike S

Atypical, but like just about anyone here. Our habits are almost never going to reflect true trends. Particularly those that have AP's, etc., like I believe you have (that makes a tremendous difference in overall costs).

It would be really great if we could get data on that. From my anecdotal experience being the "point person" in my social/work groups about Disney, people are picking one or the other. I always help them lay out all the choices (at first it stung quite a bit that folks would even consider Orlando without Disney, I'd get this pang of "that's really too bad..." but I've gotten used to it).

But when you do the numbers, it's just so expensive to do both, and Disney's incentives to keep you staying longer (the 5 for 7 deals, or the ticket pricing structure to begin with where there isn't a significant difference once you get to a certain amount of days) and pretty much insistence that you stay on site, that folks feel like they'd essentially be paying for two vacations when an Orlando theme park vacation is so packed and anti-relaxing to begin with. Even when you price out staying at one off-site hotel the whole time, when you then add a rental car, and parking every day, etc. - and the thought of spending the entire trip racing around in a car - it makes the decision for them.

And the thing is, the people who come to me are the "new audience" that is among the new 14ish% of folks being brought into the area. People that have never been, or have been to WDW once ten or eight years ago, and have either never or only once been to the Universal parks. Universal is almost always their #1 interest (the must do) because of Potter, etc.

Again, though, that's my completely anecdotal experience, but when you sit down and look at the numbers, you see why folks would think that way. I really wish we had data on this sort of thing because I believe this is really the story here.
Yes, I have an AP for both Disney and Uni. Just updated my Uni pass today actually. I also save some money on all my trips because I split the price of everything with my brother. Starting to see how I'm a very unique case from the typical Orlando tourist.

Mouse_Trap

Frozen
Disney Springs
Star Wars
Pandora
Soarin/TSMM expansion
Pixar
and more no doubt for the 50th.

Thanks for participating. :geek:

M&G expansion and a reskinned ride.
Yup keep typing it, you'll have RSI long before this opens
Another Orlando strip mall, slightly better themed but with the same goods you can find anywhere....plus some more chain restaurants.
Still almost 2.5 years to go....but yeah it may be good; assuming we get more than a Snoarin' clone and a glow in the dark It's a small world.
Wow extra capacity for the Cinema 180 and the Wii game.
Let's see when they announce it, probably sometime in 2017. Then wax lyrical at the travelling carnival quality attractions.
like what exactly? Maybe a Frozen sing a long and a dessert party, that you need to book now.

If this 'pipeline' gets you excited, then we have already lost. Disney can obviously keep you coming back, so why spend building something decent. A that rate, you'll be lucky to get a E-ticket before the 20 year anniversary of the last.

AEfx

Yes, I have an AP for both Disney and Uni. Just updated my Uni pass today actually. I also save some money on all my trips because I split the price of everything with my brother. Starting to see how I'm a very unique case from the typical Orlando tourist.

You are. And that's why we love you. :) FWIW, I used to do the same as you do. It was wonderful because I was able to take a week long trip for under a grand. I went down 4 - 6 times a year, one year I think I hit 32 WDW park days and I live 1500 miles away.

Once WDW's AP got to be over a certain dollar amount, though - I stopped getting them. And since then, when I look at a trip and having to pay admission...and nothing new whatsoever at WDW that I want to see...it's been much much much harder to pull a trip trigger.

If those "surge" pricing increases happen, I'm betting a WDW AP is going to be closer to $1000 than not - boy I wish now I'd invested in a few more vouchers back when they were $450...

Mike S

You are. And that's why we love you. :) FWIW, I used to do the same as you do. It was wonderful because I was able to take a week long trip for under a grand. I went down 4 - 6 times a year, one year I think I hit 32 WDW park days and I live 1500 miles away.

Once WDW's AP got to be over a certain dollar amount, though - I stopped getting them. And since then, when I look at a trip and having to pay admission...and nothing new whatsoever at WDW that I want to see...it's been much much much harder to pull a trip trigger.

If those "surge" pricing increases happen, I'm betting a WDW AP is going to be closer to $1000 than not - boy I wish now I'd invested in a few more vouchers back when they were $450...
$654 for a WDW AP currently and I think about $100 less for the FL resident which is what I get. If anyone can give me the renewal prices, thanks in advance. Meanwhile I just spent $170 for my updated Uni pass........

AEfx

$654 for a WDW AP currently and I think about $100 less for the FL resident which is what I get. If anyone can give me the renewal prices, thanks in advance. Meanwhile I just spent $170 for my updated Uni pass........

That $654 is pre-tax, though. With tax, it's just under a cool $700. If you are able to get a FL resident pass (lucky duck) that is a better deal - not to out you, but are you actually a FL resident?

Mike S

That $654 is pre-tax, though. With tax, it's just under a cool $700. If you are able to get a FL resident pass (lucky duck) that is a better deal - not to out you, but are you actually a FL resident?
Yes I am. Anyone who looks at my profile can see I'm from Florida. The secret is which part of Florida ;)

PhotoDave219

Original Poster
Hopefully, this works. But I put the WDW numbers on Google Docs, with the list of sources I included above. 1972-2005, when I stopped updating the list. I'll add the Universal numbers, but they don't have nice sources like WDW, because at the time I didn't know it would be necessary.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1t2lLi0gOU4gOb3HDpLv5bZPTWY_JfBC3sbgkEvAunR0/edit?usp=sharing

Yeah, all the TEA reports are nicely archived in PDF form. I don't ever remember Amusement Business doing anything that cool.

PhotoDave219

Original Poster
Hopefully, this works. But I put the WDW numbers on Google Docs, with the list of sources I included above. 1972-2005, when I stopped updating the list. I'll add the Universal numbers, but they don't have nice sources like WDW, because at the time I didn't know it would be necessary.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1t2lLi0gOU4gOb3HDpLv5bZPTWY_JfBC3sbgkEvAunR0/edit?usp=sharing

Thanks! The numbers I found elsewhere from 91-06 were pretty close. Made the revised changes where i needed to.

Thanks!

xstech25

I would take these with a grain of salt as no companies release official attendance numbers and these are basically best guesses. Sea World/Busch Gardens have come out in the past and said they are not even close to being accurate. I have a hard time believing Disneyland Paris gets the attendance that Epcot does, Epcot never gets less than 20,000 people in a day and there are many days when its freezing cold in the winter where DLP gets 10 or less.

Last edited:

cheezbat

I love all theme parks...but I'm applauding Universal for their continued investment. Good to see that their parks are both bringing in about the same amount of guests. Great balancing job!

Now looking at Disney: Magic Kingdom brought in over 19 million people...it's way too crowded. The increase here is NOT a good thing. What about the other three parks? Epcot around 11 million and DHS and Aninal Kingdom 10 million each? Its sad just how few less visit these three parks. Quite obvious there needs to be some serious investment in those parks. (Which most of us acknowledge.)

I also find it quite sad that Animal Kingdom is still ahead of DHS in attendance, especially considering DHS has had nine extra years to add to the park and boost its attendance numbers.

TEA numbers being accurate or not, I don't really care. It's obvious without these numbers what the true stories are for the central Florida parks.

Mike S

I love all theme parks...but I'm applauding Universal for their continued investment. Good to see that their parks are both bringing in about the same amount of guests. Great balancing job!

Now looking at Disney: Magic Kingdom brought in over 19 million people...it's way too crowded. The increase here is NOT a good thing. What about the other three parks? Epcot around 11 million and DHS and Aninal Kingdom 10 million each? Its sad just how few less visit these three parks. Quite obvious there needs to be some serious investment in those parks. (Which most of us acknowledge.)

I also find it quite sad that Animal Kingdom is still ahead of DHS in attendance, especially considering DHS has had nine extra years to add to the park and boost its attendance numbers.

TEA numbers being accurate or not, I don't really care. It's obvious without these numbers what the true stories are for the central Florida parks.
Universal is being very smart with their investments. I believe USF needed the most help and it has been getting it with Minion Mayhem, Transformers, Springfield, and Diagon Alley. Soon Nintendo will replace the very dated KidZone and F&F is rumored for Disaster. After the huge boost Hogsmeade gave IoA we're now seeing more investment there to keep the momentum going with King Kong and the rumored Marvel expansion. Universal seems to be making sure both parks receive similar attendence to even out the crowds.

PhotoDave219

Original Poster
Universal is being very smart with their investments. I believe USF needed the most help and it has been getting it with Minion Mayhem, Transformers, Springfield, and Diagon Alley. Soon Nintendo will replace the very dated KidZone and F&F is rumored for Disaster. After the huge boost Hogsmeade gave IoA we're now seeing more investment there to keep the momentum going with King Kong and the rumored Marvel expansion. Universal seems to be making sure both parks receive similar attendence to even out the crowds.

Well they DID have about 5-10 years of ground to try and make up for and in a hurry.....

AEfx

my point was that you can't do any park by lunch if you have kids with you.

Again with that really broad stroke of what "kids" and "families" are like.

Sure, if you have the type of lollygagging kids that insist on being trotted around in grand double-wide chariots and need something wiped, zipped, unzipped, rolled up, or some other constant attention due to their conditioning as the sole beings in their universe to be catered to.

But there are also a lot of energetic kids who love running from ride to ride and weren't raised like Greek gluttons who can easily see the major attractions in the lesser three parks by lunchtime, barring show schedules (which are intentionally staggered to prevent you from going directly from one to another).

Unfortunately, at least at WDW, it does seem that the latter is outnumbered by the former, although that simply may be perception due to how blatantly obvious these poor children are - the kind that will be so wholly unprepared for the real world it's actually quite alarming to the future of our society.

me_stitch

Premium Member
Again with that really broad stroke of what "kids" and "families" are like.

Sure, if you have the type of lollygagging kids that insist on being trotted around in grand double-wide chariots and need something wiped, zipped, unzipped, rolled up, or some other constant attention due to their conditioning as the sole beings in their universe to be catered to.

But there are also a lot of energetic kids who love running from ride to ride and weren't raised like Greek gluttons who can easily see the major attractions in the lesser three parks by lunchtime, barring show schedules (which are intentionally staggered to prevent you from going directly from one to another).

Unfortunately, at least at WDW, it does seem that the latter is outnumbered by the former, although that simply may be perception due to how blatantly obvious these poor children are - the kind that will be so wholly unprepared for the real world it's actually quite alarming to the future of our society.
my 12 year old and I hit all 4 parks in one day hitting our favorite rides at each park, not possible with the 2 and 5 year olds in toll. has nothing to do with how "energetic" they are, you should try it sometime but something tells me you'll have a had time finding someone willing to have kids with you.

AEfx

my 12 year old and I hit all 4 parks in one day hitting our favorite rides at each park, not possible with the 2 and 5 year olds in toll. has nothing to do with how "energetic" they are, you should try it sometime but something tells me you'll have a had time finding someone willing to have kids with you.

I have taken kids to WDW before. There again with those assumptions - that folks only travel with their own biological children.

However, you are correct, I would never take a 2-year-old to WDW - mine or anyone's. I have been with a 5-year-old before, but they would have been embarrassed to be carted around in a stroller as a school-age child with no developmental disabilities. When they get tired, you rest - not push them until they pass out. But that's a larger topic.

In any case, presuming that every family is like yours, or the definition of "family" rides at WDW are those that are toddler-friendly, was the entire point.

PhotoDave219

Original Poster
I have taken kids to WDW before. There again with those assumptions - that folks only travel with their own biological children.

However, you are correct, I would never take a 2-year-old to WDW - mine or anyone's. I have been with a 5-year-old before, but they would have been embarrassed to be carted around in a stroller as a school-age child with no developmental disabilities. When they get tired, you rest - not push them until they pass out. But that's a larger topic.

In any case, presuming that every family is like yours, or the definition of "family" rides at WDW are those that are toddler-friendly, was the entire point.

Did I ever tell you the time i saw a newborn - 24 hour old baby - at MK?

Fall 2004, back in the Research Days, nearing the end of my shift, like 430/5PM, just walking around Main Street, taking it all in and wondering what life choices brought me to that place (and whether to go to PI later) and I see a large group come in from under the train station. Man pushing woman in wheelchair and all their friends around them. She's holding the baby. They come up to me and we chat and he exclaims "its her first visit", I ask how old, father says "Yesterday", I ask that to the new mother - whom is not looking anywhere near as ecstatic as dad - she confirms. I quietly remind her of the first aid clinic should anyone in their party need it. She tanked me and she was not happy by any stretch of the imagination. Yet Dad was tickled pink to bring his daughter to Disney as a one-day-old.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom