Disney to provide Cast Members with free MMR vaccines

Status
Not open for further replies.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
My thought on this has always been that the moderate cases can get "worked out" in girls easier because of the emphasis on socialization in girl's education. Because of societal pressures and norms, girls are taught to nurture and socialize from a very young age. Boys have less of an emphasis on that front. So, some moderate cases in girls may have been "trained out of them" before a diagnosis is needed through peer pressure and parental and teacher guidance. Social peculiarities are far more tolerated in young boys where there is less emphasis to fit in and more emphasis on competition and physical play.

It could equally turn out to be genetic. But I have met a number of young girls without a diagnosis in my son's special education classes throughout the years who seem to have many of the same sensory issues as boys, but have taught themselves to fit in enough socially to avoid a formal diagnosis. But this is admittedly anecdotal.

That's so interesting. Most of my friends whose child is autistic is their son, not their daughter. Based upon your direct observation (and part of quality research is direct observation), it appears then that we may not be doing our sons any favors by not emphasizing socialization in their education. Not that I think we should via education "train" as you put it, our kids to fit in better, but insuring our children are better able to function in society isn't a bad thing.

LAKid53

Premium Member
I wonder how much of Disney's decision has to do with ensuring that significant numbers of cast members do not contract the measles, forcing park shutdowns? Whether the CMs get the vaccines or not, the unvaccinated guests will do an even greater job of spreading it from area to area as they move about the parks. But, they can only spread it to others who weren't vaccinated, or weren't exposed to it as children. I think Disney vaccinating the CMs is only a drop in the bucket compared to the number of unvaccinated guests that visit the parks. If you are an adult and you are unvaccinated, then unfortunately you are taking on a risk everytime you go out in publc, but that is your choice. If you contract the measles, you have no one to blame but yourself. If you have a compromised immune system, protect yourself, not only from measles, but from a variety of nasty things that will lay you out. I feel the worst for the parents of infants who are still too young to be given the vaccines....

Which is why I am bothered by parents who bring infants who are clearly only a few months old to WDW. I swear the baby a woman was holding I saw on the bus once was barely 2 months old. Why? Why? When is the DPT shot administered? 4 weeks? 6 weeks? Prior to Gomer informing us about the Hep C vaccination, I thought DPT was the first one.

lazyboy97o

I wonder how much of Disney's decision has to do with ensuring that significant numbers of cast members do not contract the measles, forcing park shutdowns? Whether the CMs get the vaccines or not, the unvaccinated guests will do an even greater job of spreading it from area to area as they move about the parks. But, they can only spread it to others who weren't vaccinated, or weren't exposed to it as children. I think Disney vaccinating the CMs is only a drop in the bucket compared to the number of unvaccinated guests that visit the parks. If you are an adult and you are unvaccinated, then unfortunately you are taking on a risk everytime you go out in publc, but that is your choice. If you contract the measles, you have no one to blame but yourself. If you have a compromised immune system, protect yourself, not only from measles, but from a variety of nasty things that will lay you out. I feel the worst for the parents of infants who are still too young to be given the vaccines....
Walt Disney World probably has a smaller amount of employees who have not been vaccinated than the Disneyland Resort. There isn't the same strong overlap in the employee hiring pool with a concentration of those not being vaccinated.

Animaniac93-98

Which is why I am bothered by parents who bring infants who are clearly only a few months old to WDW. I swear the baby a woman was holding I saw on the bus once was barely 2 months old. Why?

Because they get in for "free" and it's easier just to drag it along with you than find a sitter or delay the trip.

LAKid53

Premium Member
Walt Disney World probably has a smaller amount of employees who have not been vaccinated than the Disneyland Resort. There isn't the same strong overlap in the employee hiring pool with a concentration of those not being vaccinated.

Why do you think that? WDW is a larger facility, thus more employees. So with a larger population, wouldn't it be more likely that there are more employees at Disney World who are unvaccinated. What demographics about Southern CA would leave you to think that?

LAKid53

Premium Member
Because they get in for "free" and it's easier just to drag it along with you than find a sitter or delay the trip.

And risk the health of your child. How many times have you had the misfortune to walk by someone right as they cough in your face.

lazyboy97o

Why do you think that? WDW is a larger facility, thus more employees. So with a larger population, wouldn't it be more likely that there are more employees at Disney World who are unvaccinated. What demographics about Southern CA would leave you to think that?
The plummeting vaccination rates in Southern California would be the demographic.

LAKid53

Premium Member
The plummeting vaccination rates in Southern California would be the demographic.

Ah, I took your statement to mean the demographics of the individuals comprising the population, such as country of origin, not the vaccination rates in Southern CA. I guess that exemption on philosophical grounds was a bad idea for the state to allow.

jakeman

This is quite a bit of discussion about what is essentially a PR move.

While the media hasn't tied any actions of Disney directly to the outbreak in SoCal, it's still associated with it just by the headline grabbing nature of the location.

Offering free vaccines, which are fairly cheap, as an option is a bit of good press and shows Disney is "doing their part".

It's a calculated move to head off any future potential bad press that Disney is inactive on the issue.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member

While the media hasn't tied any actions of Disney directly to the outbreak in SoCal, it's still associated with it just by the headline grabbing nature of the location.

Offering free vaccines, which are fairly cheap, as an option is a bit of good press and shows Disney is "doing their part".

It's a calculated move to head off any future potential bad press that Disney is inactive on the issue.

Correct. It is a PR move, in large part designed to somewhat circumvent the firestorm that is going to ensue after Disney has everyone sign the "I agree to be put down if it is found out I have an infectious disease" waiver before entering a themed area that has a cover charge.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Correct. It is a PR move, in large part designed to somewhat circumvent the firestorm that is going to ensue after Disney has everyone sign the "I agree to be put down if it is found out I have an infectious disease" waiver before entering a themed area that has a cover charge.
Unless I have doctors excuse. :rolleyes:

lazyboy97o

A vaccine is also probably cheaper than the paid leave that was implemented as part of trying to quarantine Cast Members at the Disneyland Resort.

LAKid53

Premium Member
A vaccine is also probably cheaper than the paid leave that was implemented as part of trying to quarantine Cast Members at the Disneyland Resort.

Much cheaper since that quarantine had to be at least 7 days.

LAKid53

Premium Member
Part PR, probably part prevention since the number of states with cases tied to the outbreak at DL is growing. And heading East. There are folks who still believe Disney was responsible for the outbreak at DL.

"Don't go to Disney, you'll catch measles!!!". lol

jaklgreen

Which is why I am bothered by parents who bring infants who are clearly only a few months old to WDW. I swear the baby a woman was holding I saw on the bus once was barely 2 months old. Why? Why? When is the DPT shot administered? 4 weeks? 6 weeks? Prior to Gomer informing us about the Hep C vaccination, I thought DPT was the first one.

I wish I could "like" this 100 times. I LOVE WDW and went every year before kids and go every year now. But took a few years off when my kids were born. My kids are 13 months apart. We did not go anywhere until the youngest was over a year old. I put my own selfish needs aside for the good of my kids. We did not take our babies to the movies or to a restaurant or on vacation. My girls are now just turning 13&14 years old and have never had an ear infection or strep or the flu. They have only been sick with the common cold a few times in their lives. And yes they are vaccinated. I work in a restaurant down the street from a woman's hospital. I see people bring their day old newborns in on the way home from the hospital. :jawdrop: My head almost explodes when I see this. Why, in the middle of winter flu season, would anyone bring a newborn into the public like this? And these parents are shocked when the baby comes down with RSV. No reason at all to take a baby to areas like WDW. It will be there next year and the year after and the year after that.

drew81

Interesting story

http://news.yahoo.com/ap-exclusive-disney-gave-input-measles-health-messages-093925348.html
ANAHEIM, Calif. (AP) — As the measles outbreak spread last month, Disneyland executives sent a series of emails to California health officials asking them to emphasize that the theme park was not responsible for the illnesses and was safe to visit, documents obtained by The Associated Press show.

There is no evidence Disneyland — or health officials, who incorporated at least some of the theme park's suggestions — tried to downplay the seriousness of the outbreak or mislead the public. Nor is it unusual for companies to try to get public officials' ear during a crisis.

But the email exchange pulls back the curtain on what can be a delicate process. And it shows Disneyland's concern about the disease's potential harm to "The Happiest Place on Earth" even as the theme park worked with health authorities to alert the public to the danger.

As the infections multiplied, Disneyland forwarded suggestions to the California Department of Public Health and tried to insert language into an update from the Orange County Health Care Agency, according to correspondence spanning the first two weeks of the outbreak. The emails were obtained through a public records request.

In one exchange, a Disneyland official wanted the state to make it clear the park was not responsible for the outbreak. In another, Disneyland wanted the state to clarify that it was safe for vaccinated people to visit the theme park. In that instance, the state updated its website to address Disneyland's concern.

More than 70 people in California — including six Disneyland employees — and about two dozen others in six states, Mexico and Canada have been sickened in the outbreak. While measles was declared eliminated from the U.S. in 2000, the illness has reappeared in recent years, brought in from overseas and transmitted to Americans who didn't get vaccinated.

First word of the outbreak came Jan. 7 when California authorities confirmed a cluster of infections in people who visited Disney's California theme parks days before Christmas. Disneyland's medical team worked with health investigators to identify people who had close contact with infected workers, and it offered employees vaccinations and blood tests to see if they were immune.

The next week, Disneyland Resort's vice president of communications emailed state health agency spokesman Ron Owens, laying out her desire to advise the public that measles is highly contagious and can only be prevented through vaccination.

"Basically, our goal is to ensure people know that the exposure period at the Disneyland Resort is now over, that this has nothing to do with Disneyland and this could happen anywhere," Cathi Killian wrote. She added: "Can you please let us know if you are able to help us on this front?"

The state health department's website included similar language. State health spokeswoman Anita Gore told the AP in an email: "When clarification is needed, we make adjustments where necessary." Deanne Thompson, a spokeswoman for the county health department, told the AP that Disneyland made "no attempt to control or pressure" the department to incorporate any suggestions.

In one of the email exchanges, Disneyland's chief medical officer, Dr. Pamela Hymel, forwarded to California's top epidemiologist, Dr. Gil Chavez, a statement from Disneyland's public relations arm with "some points," including: "It is absolutely safe to visit these places, including the Disneyland Resort, if you are vaccinated."

Chavez replied that Disneyland's statement was "100 percent consistent" with what he said publicly a day earlier, when he announced that it was fine to visit Disneyland with the proper vaccinations but that those who haven't gotten their shots should stay away. Chavez went ahead and had a version of Disneyland's statement posted on the state health department's website.

Crisis communications experts said that it is not uncommon for companies to make suggestions during a disease outbreak and that their view can be helpful as long as they don't try to distort the message.

"At the end of the day, you are trying to balance potentially competing interests, but you are also trying to give people the best advice possible," said Glen Nowak, a former spokesman for the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention who now heads the Center for Health and Risk Communication at the University of Georgia.

___

LAKid53

Premium Member
I wish I could "like" this 100 times. I LOVE WDW and went every year before kids and go every year now. But took a few years off when my kids were born. My kids are 13 months apart. We did not go anywhere until the youngest was over a year old. I put my own selfish needs aside for the good of my kids. We did not take our babies to the movies or to a restaurant or on vacation. My girls are now just turning 13&14 years old and have never had an ear infection or strep or the flu. They have only been sick with the common cold a few times in their lives. And yes they are vaccinated. I work in a restaurant down the street from a woman's hospital. I see people bring their day old newborns in on the way home from the hospital. :jawdrop: My head almost explodes when I see this. Why, in the middle of winter flu season, would anyone bring a newborn into the public like this? And these parents are shocked when the baby comes down with RSV. No reason at all to take a baby to areas like WDW. It will be there next year and the year after and the year after that.

My daughter's chronic ear infections as an infant were directly attributed to her staying in day care. At the time I couldn't afford to stay home or have in home care since I am the sole bread winner. But I made sure she got her shots and didn't wandered around the malls with her until she was at least a couple if months old and had her first series of vaccines.

LAKid53

Premium Member
Interesting story

http://news.yahoo.com/ap-exclusive-disney-gave-input-measles-health-messages-093925348.html
ANAHEIM, Calif. (AP) — As the measles outbreak spread last month, Disneyland executives sent a series of emails to California health officials asking them to emphasize that the theme park was not responsible for the illnesses and was safe to visit, documents obtained by The Associated Press show.

There is no evidence Disneyland — or health officials, who incorporated at least some of the theme park's suggestions — tried to downplay the seriousness of the outbreak or mislead the public. Nor is it unusual for companies to try to get public officials' ear during a crisis.

But the email exchange pulls back the curtain on what can be a delicate process. And it shows Disneyland's concern about the disease's potential harm to "The Happiest Place on Earth" even as the theme park worked with health authorities to alert the public to the danger.

As the infections multiplied, Disneyland forwarded suggestions to the California Department of Public Health and tried to insert language into an update from the Orange County Health Care Agency, according to correspondence spanning the first two weeks of the outbreak. The emails were obtained through a public records request.

In one exchange, a Disneyland official wanted the state to make it clear the park was not responsible for the outbreak. In another, Disneyland wanted the state to clarify that it was safe for vaccinated people to visit the theme park. In that instance, the state updated its website to address Disneyland's concern.

More than 70 people in California — including six Disneyland employees — and about two dozen others in six states, Mexico and Canada have been sickened in the outbreak. While measles was declared eliminated from the U.S. in 2000, the illness has reappeared in recent years, brought in from overseas and transmitted to Americans who didn't get vaccinated.

First word of the outbreak came Jan. 7 when California authorities confirmed a cluster of infections in people who visited Disney's California theme parks days before Christmas. Disneyland's medical team worked with health investigators to identify people who had close contact with infected workers, and it offered employees vaccinations and blood tests to see if they were immune.

The next week, Disneyland Resort's vice president of communications emailed state health agency spokesman Ron Owens, laying out her desire to advise the public that measles is highly contagious and can only be prevented through vaccination.

"Basically, our goal is to ensure people know that the exposure period at the Disneyland Resort is now over, that this has nothing to do with Disneyland and this could happen anywhere," Cathi Killian wrote. She added: "Can you please let us know if you are able to help us on this front?"

The state health department's website included similar language. State health spokeswoman Anita Gore told the AP in an email: "When clarification is needed, we make adjustments where necessary." Deanne Thompson, a spokeswoman for the county health department, told the AP that Disneyland made "no attempt to control or pressure" the department to incorporate any suggestions.

In one of the email exchanges, Disneyland's chief medical officer, Dr. Pamela Hymel, forwarded to California's top epidemiologist, Dr. Gil Chavez, a statement from Disneyland's public relations arm with "some points," including: "It is absolutely safe to visit these places, including the Disneyland Resort, if you are vaccinated."

Chavez replied that Disneyland's statement was "100 percent consistent" with what he said publicly a day earlier, when he announced that it was fine to visit Disneyland with the proper vaccinations but that those who haven't gotten their shots should stay away. Chavez went ahead and had a version of Disneyland's statement posted on the state health department's website.

Crisis communications experts said that it is not uncommon for companies to make suggestions during a disease outbreak and that their view can be helpful as long as they don't try to distort the message.

"At the end of the day, you are trying to balance potentially competing interests, but you are also trying to give people the best advice possible," said Glen Nowak, a former spokesman for the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention who now heads the Center for Health and Risk Communication at the University of Georgia.

___

Don't blame Disney. Remember when Oprah made that comment about hamburgers? And what happened? Beef sales plummeted (and we got Dr. Phil). And not that I want to keep mentioning her name, but look what Jenny McCarthy's statements did to MMR vaccination rates.

The internet and social media provide many pluses, but they also allow the rapid spread of misinformation and other negative actions. To our detriment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom