Adventureland Veranda - Skipper Canteen restaurant

Yelloweaver

Another alternative would be to make the restaurant better.

I've eaten there. I thought it was delicious! I had the Noodle Bowl, my husband had the Char Sui Pork dish and my daughter had a kids steak - all of which we devoured. We also ordered the Falafel appetizer. My daughter asked to try it and ended up loving it. She's extremely picky too. We also tried the Coconut Bar dessert and loved every bite!!!

We are a sort though that doesn't like to eat burgers and nuggets on vacation, we like more exotic and different types of food. I like that there is this option in MK when the other choices are Pecos Bill (gross), Cosmic Rays (meh), BOG (again - meh - tried a steak here - tough and over cooked - truffle fries were good though), Tony's Town Square (glorified Olive Garden), LTT (good at lunch - never tried dinner cause I don't really care for turkey & gravy).

I hope that people will keep giving Skipper's a try and expand their palette.

RSoxNo1

From what I hear all anyone wants to eat is hamburgers and chicken nuggets. The menu apparently is too sophisticated for MK.

I am willing to bet it is more the reverse people don't want to gamble on not getting in and are making reservations elsewhere... Yes the menu is different but again people don't want to be stuck eating the QSR choices if they don't get in.

I don't buy that everyone wants to eat burgers. Yak and Yeti and the Harambe Market feature a bit more variety in their flavors and both are very popular. They did a bad job with the mess hall theming and they did a bad job with the menu.

rricks26

The issue is, the guests without reservations don't want to eat that type of menu. They are the ones that want burgers and, that's why people complained about the menu. The kids menu just added a tempura sweet and sour chicken which is essentially nuggets. It's the clientele that the canteen used to attract with the adrs. That all should change now.

MickeyfromSTL

I don't feel the menu needs to be changed to chicken fingers/burger/fries but I do think they could make a few modifications that would go a long way for the more picky eater. I could be wrong as I didn't memorize the menu while i was there, but I didn't remember the marinated grilled chicken breast or Vegetable crew stew on the menu when it first opened. These are nice additions/changes that still fit the theme that are trending in the right direction. I also think they could do a bit more with some fresh "jungle" fruits (mango, bananas, etc). That would be a nice touch...

When I first heard of this place, I was very excited. I thought it would be a huge hit. After visiting with my wife, we were not real impressed. I had the port tenderloin medallions which I felt were good but nothing to write home about and my wife had the mac&cheese which we both agreed tasted like "chili Mac" from Steak'n'Shake. For about $20/each there are much better places to eat in the world.

We will likely go back sometime, but it is not on the top of our list.

sxeensweet

Love a little Disney every day!! ;)
Just made two ADR reservations for Skippers Canteen in November. Saw it was opening soon but looks like it already available.

You mean reservations opening soon ? It's been open since late 2015. You just couldn't make reservations ahead only same day reservations and walk ups. Looks like the extended reservations now are available that people have been waiting on. :)

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member

Horizons78

Grade "A" Funny...
Does anyone know when the new menu will roll out?
I'm wondering this as well, and starting to consider that a new menu isn't inbound. (Which is fine as I'm in the group that currently enjoys the food.)

You would think that if they had reached a consensus that the menu needed to change it would have been implemented before opening up the location to a far larger group of potential diners through ADR's. If the menu really has tanked with the majority of guests, it would be better to change it before the inrush rather than expecting the majority opinion to be improved with a larger crowd.

Regardless, no matter how they choose to slice and dice it, you'll still come out a head.

SteamboatStitch

From what I hear all anyone wants to eat is hamburgers and chicken nuggets. The menu apparently is too sophisticated for MK.

Ate there on a trip in Feb. Food tasted fine, the problem for me is the stupidly high price. I paid a bit less on the same trip to eat at Teppan Edo, which offered better atmosphere, and more food. The only justification I could give to the Canteen is if you really dig skipper jokes.

note2001

Ate there on a trip in Feb. Food tasted fine, the problem for me is the stupidly high price. I paid a bit less on the same trip to eat at Teppan Edo, which offered better atmosphere, and more food. The only justification I could give to the Canteen is if you really dig skipper jokes.

Last time my kids and I ate at TE we left hungry having been served 2 scallops each with a little rice, or was it noodles, and the bill came to over $100. I can't believe Skippers Canteen could be any worse.

Rodan75

We ate there as a walk in yesterday. It was crazy slow at 6pm, but by 7 it was packed. Our waiter was just the right amount of cheesy, the food was great and the environment is definitely more 'high end' than most of the pics look.

I'm a horribly picky eater who thinks there should be more QS burgers and hotdogs. But I think this place should keep its menu. I think more folks will find it now that it has reservations, but I think it may been cocktails to seal the deal long term.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom