IBM's THINK and Test the Limits exhibits to close in early January

H2O_Mouse-Ears

that's not what I would call "right", I was just wondering if there was just going to be another vacant hole in future world. Your comment seems encouraging though thanks!
Edit* ah I see no hope*
Before I begin, I feel EPCOT is easily Disney's most ambitiously experimental, and boldly sophisticated foray into the theme park industry. There is not a single theme park in the world quite like it with its unique potential to self-adapt to the constantly changing nature of the world in terms of our sociocultural tastes and technology. However, considering how EPCOT was the brainchild of Walt Disney and one of his main reasons for initiating the WDW project, his early, unexpected passing significantly altered the envisioned direction EPCOT was supposed to go. Almost everything in the park is outdated, which goes against everything EPCOT is supposed to embody. I mean just take a look at the Living With the Land attraction (AKA Listen to the Land). The attraction has barely been updated since its inception in 1982. Most of the "pioneering" technology are either commonplace and/or controversial in today's world (i.e. GMO's). And don't get me started on the Universe of Energy attraction (Ellen DeGeneres really?) and the documentary movies on the various countries in World Showcase (*Late 70's* Impressions de France). I understand EPCOT was not supposed to really be a theme park in the first place based on how Walt initially envisioned it but the core essence of what it is supposed to be has been completely lost. Whatever happened to: "EPCOT will take its cue from the new ideas and new technologies that are now emerging from the creative centers of American industry. It will be a community of tomorrow that will never be completed, but will always be introducing, and testing, and demonstrating new materials and new systems. And EPCOT will always be a showcase to the world of the ingenuity and imagination of American free enterprise". Shoutout to the extreme risk-averse management style of Disney higher-ups for using Walt's visionary dream as a platform to promote Phineas and Ferb with Agent P's World Showcase Adventure. Sorry for the rant. It just pains me to see all these empty areas and severely declining state of many of the attractions in a park that I feel still has so much untapped potential.

Last edited:

Goofyernmost

Does anyone know the reason why Innoventions and EPCOT in general has trouble finding/maintain sponsors? ON the surface, it feels like an ideal partnership for technology companies and corporation to get in on, which was exemplified when EPCOT first opened.
I think that the major reason is that back when EPCOT CTR. opened the world of technology was completely different. There was no internet and technology, although starting to move along, wasn't changing nearly as fast as it is now. A business could set up a demonstration of new or experimental technology and know that it would stay current for a reasonable amount of time. That doesn't happen anymore and companies hesitate to even attempt to try and keep up with technology in a solid based display when technologically they can show that in so many more ways now then were available in the early 80's. Now by the time they set up an exhibit, technology will have already left it behind. So, It's no longer beneficial for companies to spend the considerable expense of live demonstrations of what will be obsolete before the first person sees it.

Little Green Men

I mean just take a look at the Living With the Land attraction (AKA Listen to the Land). The attraction has barely been updated since its inception in 1982. Most of the "pioneering" technology are either commonplace and/or controversial in today's world (i.e. GMO's). And don't get me started on the Universe of Energy attraction (Ellen DeGeneres really?) and the documentary movies on the various countries in World Showcase (*Late 70's* Impressions de France).

I would say that LwtL is still relevant. I doubt most people have heard of tomato trees or spraying water directly on roots. It also has a sponsor and the laboratory was recently updated with a lot of new things. Energy was a successful update in 1996 by making a dry attraction more engaging, some still enjoy it but it could definitely use an update. All the movies in WS have had updates besides France. I'd say it still holds up despite the clothes and hairstyles shown.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
I think that the major reason is that back when EPCOT CTR. opened the world of technology was completely different. There was no internet and technology, although starting to move along, wasn't changing nearly as fast as it is now. A business could set up a demonstration of new or experimental technology and know that it would stay current for a reasonable amount of time. That doesn't happen anymore and companies hesitate to even attempt to try and keep up with technology in a solid based display when technologically they can show that in so many more ways now then were available in the early 80's. Now by the time they set up an exhibit, technology will have already left it behind. So, It's no longer beneficial for companies to spend the considerable expense of live demonstrations of what will be obsolete before the first person sees it.
This is why Disney needs to partner with the people who organize CES. :p

Communicore

It's not just you, but, it has been a very long time since Communicore. I spent a lot of time in there when there was something worth seeing. When it changed over, it's became more of a time killer between FP times. All I have ever done since then is walk through in the cool air. Nothing has been of any interest to me at all.
I only spent time in there at the former Communicore area near Club Cool where they had the 25th exhibits. Other than that I never went.

GrumpyFan

Does anyone know the reason why Innoventions and EPCOT in general has trouble finding/maintain sponsors? ON the surface, it feels like an ideal partnership for technology companies and corporation to get in on, which was exemplified when EPCOT first opened.

I wrote the following in a blog last year, in response to someone else's comment regarding the Failure of Epcot.

In the absence of a charismatic visionary, such as Walt, who could lead the company and sell its successes in such a way that businesses would eagerly buy into and even line up to be a part of, it became more of an expense for the companies that did buy in rather than an investment that yielded returns and name brand recognition. Without investors to help fund the parks and attractions, Disney is left developing and funding them out of their own pockets, which means they have to find something suitable and/or entertaining enough to draw the public in order to produce a quick return on their investment. Good or bad, this means that many of the attractions are going to be based on pop-culture or current, proven entertainment media such as movies like Frozen or even Avatar, because, developing and building original attractions and stories is expensive and a risk that nobody wants to gamble millions of dollars on.

I liken it to Iron Man 2 where they had the Stark Expo, and vendors were eager to pitch their latest products and the public was excited to get in to see these on display. The Disney company no longer has that kind of pull, mainly because they don't have a leader who can cast a vision or sell the brand like that.

Last edited:

RSoxNo1

There was a permit filed today with the description "Innoventions UL Demolition" which I assume it for the Test the Limits exhibit.
Per @orlando_parks on Twitter... UL may be for Underwriter Laboratories who sponsor the Test the Limits lab. That has already closed.

5thGenTexan

I have in the past shared my thoughts on sponsorship at MK that would fit perfectly in Tomorrowland. Perhaps better in Epcot. Space X, Virgin Galactic, probably even Spaceport America itself. Space tourism is still in its infancy and will one day be a reality. However, I think the ability for "normal" people to experience a quick trip to space is a long way off. It's perfect "World's Fair" type material. Something that is possible and achievable, but at the same time is not going to happen tomorrow. This is old If You Had Wings type stuff. Show what tourism WILL be like when a trip into Earth orbit is an option.

GrumpyFan

Per @orlando_parks on Twitter... UL may be for Underwriter Laboratories who sponsor the Test the Limits lab. That has already closed.

Didn't that open around 2003? If so, it's time.
Wonder what/if anything is planned to replace?

A Big Hero 6 type of convention/lab with interactions would be a great fit. Not sure what all it would include though.

Last edited:

Goofyernmost

I have in the past shared my thoughts on sponsorship at MK that would fit perfectly in Tomorrowland. Perhaps better in Epcot. Space X, Virgin Galactic, probably even Spaceport America itself. Space tourism is still in its infancy and will one day be a reality. However, I think the ability for "normal" people to experience a quick trip to space is a long way off. It's perfect "World's Fair" type material. Something that is possible and achievable, but at the same time is not going to happen tomorrow. This is old If You Had Wings type stuff. Show what tourism WILL be like when a trip into Earth orbit is an option.
Doesn't that kind of define Mission: Space, Space Mountain and Star Tours?

5thGenTexan

Doesn't that kind of define Mission: Space, Space Mountain and Star Tours?

I don't think so. All three of those are to the thrill end of the spectrum, and I was going for more for what Epcot used to be. I am one of those 80's kids that enjoyed EPCOT Center and I couldn't give two rips about thrills. :)

I can see an exhibition space with actual or mock-ups of Space X, Virgin Galactic spacecraft. What they are currently working with as well as prototypes. I know its dreaming of the highest order, but I would love an omnimover starting at a spaceport (whoever is sponsoring) highlighting civilian delivery into orbit or suborbit.

How many people really understand that there are spaceports around the country and world under construction or at least in a development stage? Places where companies are fighting to be the first to put a civilian into space as a tourist. This is the kind of stuff that screams EPCOT Center.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom