VIDEO - The Paul McKenna Band opens at Epcot's United Kingdom pavilion

FigmentForver96

I was incredibly disappointed with the Mo'Rockin' replacement as well so not quite 3 out of 4. The flag troupe looks all right but not something I'd go out of my way for. Maybe a one and a half?? I do agree about the costumes for the new act though. Although this is what you'd see at any Irish Pub. Maybe that is what they are going for? Marie
Idk they just felt more authentic then what was originally there before them. I mean everyone has their own taste so some people will like them an others will not. For me personally it is three out of four.

dreamscometrue

Love it! Excellent addition. Being from Atlantic Canada, I've grown up listening to an abundance of Celtic inspired music, so this is very, very familiar.

Disneyhead'71

I like it.

I like the flags in Italy. I never stopped and watched Mo'Rockin' and probably won't watch the new act there either. So for me, that one is a push. Losing OK for Lumberjacks hurts. And losing an original and thematically important group like the Five and Drum Corp to be replaced by nothing is just inexcusable.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
The flag troupe looks all right but not something I'd go out of my way for.

I have to disagree with your opinion. That's actually the only "street" entertainment I'd stop to watch.. It's very cool! But that's just me.

I can only stand and watch a band, traditional or not, play for about maybe a minute or two at tops. I dunno, it's just something that doesn't interest me, yet something I really really love having in the parks. The flags kind of keep me on my toes sometimes. They throw those pretty high and they criss and cross and such! I loved it. :)

My all time favorite Epcot "street" entertainment is always going to be the Chinese acrobats.

Kman101

I really enjoyed that. I like that music anyway. I do agree with Steve, that's probably the point, to look like street musicians. I understand that it could go unnoticed and not stand out as the typical Disney costumes but I appreciate what they're going for.

Flag waving is a tad boring (it seemed to be a bit long but maybe I need to re-watch) so it's not going to grab everyone. It's not bad at all and I think fits the pavilion fantastically, so we shouldn't knock it for that.

The lumberjacks are really the only ones that stick out like a sore thumb.

And I still miss the Fife and Drum corp. I really can't believe they cut that.

Last edited:

wannabeBelle

Hey Wonders, I am definitely going to check the Flag thing out, without a question. I wouldnt make a special trip over to EPCOT to catch them though, although I will stop to watch when I am there. I am actually going to make a special detour for the Paul McKenna band though, but I am very musically driven, so that is certainly a factor. You have to go with what appeals to you and makes you happy, that is why there should be different types of entertainment. Marie

The Mom

Premium Member
I know my husband will want to stop and watch this - considering I have a whole cabinet devoted to Celtic CDs and cassettes - a decade of Thistle and Shamrock (a music show that aired on NPR) that he recorded. Several hundred at last count!

I introduced him to Celtic music, and he became a bigger fan than I ever was. However, I don't think my son will consider this a suitable replacement for Off Kilter.

wannabeBelle

Hi Mom!!! I agree with your son, they definitely arent Off Kilter. OK was very special and unique and probably cannot be replaced. That having been said, this replaces the World Showcase Players and for the moment at least we have gotten rid of the lumberjacks in favor of the Canadian Holiday Voyageurs. Not my favorite incarnation of OK, but light years better than what was there a few days ago!!! Hopefully the Jacks will not be returning to EPCOT at all, although I Am still concerned that they may not get OK back quickly enough, as I am sure that the guys are looking for other employment. If they all find jobs outside of Disney or with conflicting schedules, there may not be a chance to reunite them with the original band members. One can but hope that OK gets brought back quickly. If so between them, the Paul McKenna Group and British Revolution we will be set for good music on that side of the lagoon!!! Marie

BrerJon

I really enjoyed that. I like that music anyway. I do agree with Steve, that's probably the point, to look like street musicians. I understand that it could go unnoticed and not stand out as the typical Disney costumes but I appreciate what they're going for.

It's just Disney being typically cheap. If they'd put their minds to it they could have had proper costumes and added a bit of theming to things, instead of the very lazy approach of 'the theme is they've stepped off the street'. Wow, how long did it take imagineering to come up with that one?

packwingfn

Aren't these new acts 3rd party and not cast memberS? So Disney does not provide their costumes and they would probably have to bring or make their own costumes

Kman101

I think it's deliberate they look like "street" performers (just a guess, not an excuse for "lousy costumes"). I'm not seeing the big deal in this if that would be the case? You don't expect a street performer in the "real world" to have a fancy costume with a name tag. I think they're trying to go for authentic performances in the pavilions with the new acts that replaced the other ones. Hence, IMO, for example, they probably think the lumberjacks are authentic and what you'd find at a local fair. They just badly missed the boat on that one. It's just not the spot or the place for them.

wannabeBelle

I saw the Paul McKenna band today and they are pretty freakin' amazing. The lead singer is great although they have got to give him a microphone. As they are playing right there on the walkway, the band and the singer do tend to get drowned out pretty quickly. A great act, nice people and well worth the time to get over there to see. While I was around I wandered over to the Flag team in Italy. They were good!!! There is a beauty and a grace not to mention skill that is apparent much more so in person that on the videos I have seen. Also the lead guy there does announce some of the routines and as he doesnt have a microphone either, it is tough to hear him as well. What is up with the lack of microphones for those people?? Marie

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom