Tiffins - A new table service restaurant coming to Discovery Island at Disney's Animal Kingdom

Pleakley

Glad to see the good reviews. I was initially worried as I didn't find the interiors too exciting. But if the food tastes good, people will come. I think it was a smart move putting a Signature in DAK. For people like my dad, trips are centered around dining, so a nice new restaurant may finally get him back into the park. Should definitely help in making it an all-day experience.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
Interesting video. Noticed they mostly stayed away from calling any attention to the actual food offered. I wonder how this place is doing considering the price point and Rivers not launching yet. The lounge I kinda like-a lot. I'm not sure about fine dining at Animal Kingdom. It is a hot humid park with so many outdoor attractions. Hot and sweaty and then being seated into fine dining? Wonder how it will do as a signature venue.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
Interesting video. Noticed they mostly stayed away from calling any attention to the actual food offered. I wonder how this place is doing considering the price point and Rivers not launching yet. The lounge I kinda like-a lot. I'm not sure about fine dining at Animal Kingdom. It is a hot humid park with so many outdoor attractions. Hot and sweaty and then being seated into fine dining? Wonder how it will do as a signature venue.
With the two designers taking part in the video, I wouldn't expect much talk of the food.

I think Tiffins works well for someone to go to the park specifically to eat. I wouldn't make it part of my typical DAK day though.

wishiwere@wdw

I was thinking the same thing. We just returned from 14 days in and out of the resort (no, we did not stay in the bubble that many days straight lol) and from what I could tell, after probably being at AK on 5 or 6 various days and nights, you could literally walk up and get a table. I like what they are doing but wonder if it will stay as-is. ROL I'm sure isn't helping things here either.

Edit, forgot to add that the missing seating for pizzafari is sorely missed. The park was hardly what I'd call crowded and getting a table was almost challenging. Peak season will be difficult I'm sure.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    48.8 KB · Views: 95

trampdog

What's with the loaded keychain hanging from his ear? Does he keep his car and house keys on that? Sorry can't get past that to make it through the video. It's weird and his head is tilted because of the weight.

AndrewsJ

What's with the loaded keychain hanging from his ear? Does he keep his car and house keys on that? Sorry can't get past that to make it through the video. It's weird and his head is tilted because of the weight.
The earrings are kind of his "trademark". He collected them from different places around the world. It is distracting and looks heavy. I met him at Sanna a while back and had a hard time not starring at his ear.

Gabe1

With the two designers taking part in the video, I wouldn't expect much talk of the food.

I think Tiffins works well for someone to go to the park specifically to eat. I wouldn't make it part of my typical DAK day though.

Don't you wonder though how many guests will travel there for fine dining between 11-5? My thought is better as a regular lunch menu vs fine dining. Curious if the Rivers show package will take care of that. Still your gong to have kids needing a nap in afternoon mixed in with true fine dining guests at $100 per person. Oy

trampdog

Don't you wonder though how many guests will travel there for fine dining between 11-5? My thought is better as a regular lunch menu vs fine dining. Curious if the Rivers show package will take care of that. Still your gong to have kids needing a nap in afternoon mixed in with true fine dining guests at $100 per person. Oy

I ate there with the family two weeks ago on the Jungle Book dining package. We all enjoyed the meal. It's "American-ized" enough that it doesn't weird the non-adventurous eaters out. At $70 a pop, it was definitely a splurge but the seats we got for the show (which we all thought was the best live show at Disney) was worth the money (heck, you are going to eat dinner anyway). Most of us got the Wagyu anyway, which was the most expensive item. My kid got the head cheese and liver pate which he liked and he is probably the most non-adventurous of us all. I wouldn't say it is the best "signature" dining restaurant they have (that is a tie between Citrico and Cali Grill), but I think it's actually priced less than he others. My only fault with it is the location. It just seems weird eating in a "fancy" restaurant at the Animal Kingdom and kind of out of place. Much more suited for a Hotel.

Gabe1

I ate there with the family two weeks ago on the Jungle Book dining package. We all enjoyed the meal. It's "American-ized" enough that it doesn't weird the non-adventurous eaters out. At $70 a pop, it was definitely a splurge but the seats we got for the show (which we all thought was the best live show at Disney) was worth the money (heck, you are going to eat dinner anyway). Most of us got the Wagyu anyway, which was the most expensive item. My kid got the head cheese and liver pate which he liked and he is probably the most non-adventurous of us all. I wouldn't say it is the best "signature" dining restaurant they have (that is a tie between Citrico and Cali Grill), but I think it's actually priced less than he others. My only fault with it is the location. It just seems weird eating in a "fancy" restaurant at the Animal Kingdom and kind of out of place. Much more suited for a Hotel.

Really? Jungle the best live show? Granted I've only seen the video but your review does surprise me. Glad you enjoyed the dining.
Lately my favorite signatures have to be Jiko and Artist Point. I too loved Cali Grill, still do but it has slipped somewhat in that fine dining category since the refurb. Will have to see what happens with the new chef, I am already mad at him for sub'ing out mashed potatoes for the wondrous risotto. o_O

Jon81uk

Brown Derby at DHS serves "fine dining" all day as well.

Gabe1

Brown Derby at DHS serves "fine dining" all day as well.

Yep, I never cared for Brown Derby long before the dining plan stampede. I always found it to be a noisy and 'busy' venue, not relaxing. Now lunch or dinner in the lounge has been nice. Early on after LeCellier was converted from a cafeteria to a TS restaurant we ate there a couple times a trip. I don't find LeCellier worthy of Fine Dining either, I'll spend the few extra minutes and head to Yachtsman's, always a lovely experience. Call me crazy but I don't find Cinderella's Royal Table a signature experience. Just because Disney charges and labels it as such doesn't make it rise to that level.

I understand the imagineers intentions for Tiffins and it was created to have the potential for charming, evening fine dining. My fear is it will wind up similar to the other in park venues, struggling to obtain true fine dining status, service, food and holding to reservation times. Disney has a habit of trying to rush guests through meals to turn the tables and lack proper pacing in the parks, LeCellier struggles with pacing, a possibility with Tiffins when it becomes a Rivers theater package too. Me I'm more looking forward to the return of the Flying Fish. :)

Bocabear

after watching the video, I find it funny you need two designers to explain what the design theory for the restaurant was...and then in all the visuals show, it fails to impress as an immersive thematic interior...It literally looks like an art gallery or any upscale ethnic restaurant anywhere... Looks nice, but from what was shown is certainly not a wow... Kind of like they had a warehouse full of imagineering stuff left over from when they created the park, and emptied it out in this restaurant... and again...looks nice.... But not a spectacular oh-my-god-I-Have-got-to-eat-there kind of place... I like the lounge idea, but again wish it looked less like an average hotel space and a little more immersive and exotic... Maybe it is more interesting in person...

twebber55

Yep, I never cared for Brown Derby long before the dining plan stampede. I always found it to be a noisy and 'busy' venue, not relaxing. Now lunch or dinner in the lounge has been nice. Early on after LeCellier was converted from a cafeteria to a TS restaurant we ate there a couple times a trip. I don't find LeCellier worthy of Fine Dining either, I'll spend the few extra minutes and head to Yachtsman's, always a lovely experience. Call me crazy but I don't find Cinderella's Royal Table a signature experience. Just because Disney charges and labels it as such doesn't make it rise to that level.

I understand the imagineers intentions for Tiffins and it was created to have the potential for charming, evening fine dining. My fear is it will wind up similar to the other in park venues, struggling to obtain true fine dining status, service, food and holding to reservation times. Disney has a habit of trying to rush guests through meals to turn the tables and lack proper pacing in the parks, LeCellier struggles with pacing, a possibility with Tiffins when it becomes a Rivers theater package too. Me I'm more looking forward to the return of the Flying Fish. :)
im going to have a hard time shelling out 67.00 for a meal just to see ROL

twebber55

after watching the video, I find it funny you need two designers to explain what the design theory for the restaurant was...and then in all the visuals show, it fails to impress as an immersive thematic interior...It literally looks like an art gallery or any upscale ethnic restaurant anywhere... Looks nice, but from what was shown is certainly not a wow... Kind of like they had a warehouse full of imagineering stuff left over from when they created the park, and emptied it out in this restaurant... and again...looks nice.... But not a spectacular oh-my-god-I-Have-got-to-eat-there kind of place... I like the lounge idea, but again wish it looked less like an average hotel space and a little more immersive and exotic... Maybe it is more interesting in person...
its more about PR than anything else

im kind of wondering how busy its been so far this summer

Gabe1

its more about PR than anything else

im kind of wondering how busy its been so far this summer

I agree. That type of marketing normally is advance of a venue launching not a month later. I'm sure the lack of River's hurt the hype.
The reviews I've read between a full course meal and a single drink it is amounting to $100 per person. While the food could be excellent time will tell if it can hold those standards...

twebber55

I agree. That type of marketing normally is advance of a venue launching not a month later. I'm sure the lack of River's hurt the hype.
The reviews I've read between a full course meal and a single drink it is amounting to $100 per person. While the food could be excellent time will tell if it can hold those standards...
great points @Gabe1
if the price was 50 i would probably pay for the ROL package 67 a pop im probably out

Jon81uk

I agree CRT isn't a signature dining experience and it isn't sold as one (see the DDP brochure https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/m...alog/WaltDisneyWorld/en_us/PDF/2016Dining.pdf) if just charges two credits as it is more expensive, partly due to being one of the most popular places and also because tip is included in the pre-purchase price. Its the same reason that in-room dining is two credits.

I think Le Celier was too popular for its size and that why they tried to reform it to Signature, but it never quite worked, at least Brown Derby was the most expensive in the park from day one

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom