Disney to expand Glow with the Show to new product line 'Made with Magic'

The Incredible Schmulk

Why is it that when Disney incorporates some sort of technology that's supposed representative of the future of interactivity, it always seems like it's of the future from the eyes of a stoned college kid in 1983?

Jahona

Hmm I wonder if samsung phones have access to the IR Blaster for 3rd party apps. It would be interesting to make an app specifically to control these ears.

NeedMoreMickey

Last month I was trying to watch the show and firewroks in MK and the person next to me sitting in a chair had a pair of flashing ears on, so annoying. I had my camera and finally had to move so I could get a shot without the ears. Nice idea if everyone is doing it but not just one.

raymusiccity

They are only good in aggregate. Meaning, if you are at an event where lots of people are wearing them, they are great, and while you cannot see your ears, you see others, and they see yours, it all can add to the show experience.
If you are one of about 10 people in the crowd wearing them, it's not really any good at all.

I'm all for it. It's sort of like doing 'the wave' while waiting for Fantasmic to start. You can join in, or watch it go by. Either way, it's fun to some people, an annoyance to others. There isn't any way that light up ears are going to distract you from the scope and brightness of a Disney fireworks display!

WDWResort

I don't see the problem at all. Selling new merch isn't going to stop them from building new things and refurbishing. Pretty sure they'll make it all back, judging by the crowds this weekend at Epcot alone.

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
I'm all for it. It's sort of like doing 'the wave' while waiting for Fantasmic to start. You can join in, or watch it go by. Either way, it's fun to some people, an annoyance to others. There isn't any way that light up ears are going to distract you from the scope and brightness of a Disney fireworks display!
Well, that's not quite true. If you happen to be in the wrong place, it can be distracting, just like I always wind up strategically located so that the fool with the big freakin' balloon 20 feet in front of me somehow still holds that string at exactly the right height to block my view of something.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I the only one who sees these things as a distraction
10o.jpg
No. You're not.

JimboJones123

They are only good in aggregate. Meaning, if you are at an event where lots of people are wearing them, they are great, and while you cannot see your ears, you see others, and they see yours, it all can add to the show experience.
If you are one of about 10 people in the crowd wearing them, it's not really any good at all.

1 in 10 would be fantastic. I rarely see more than 2-3 dozen on any given Fantasmic show.

5% penetration is even pretty ambitious.

DVCOwner

A Long Time DVC Member
I know right? Light-up hats, gloves, and wands based on an already existing and implemented technology that bring in dollars??? I mean, the cost of making these things would add up to at least a new D ticket, if not an E.

I do not get you on this one at all. Disney making and sell a product for a profit we keep them from building a new ride. Disney is making money off the ears and other stuff, how they spend it may not be what you want (new rides), but it does not effect building a new ride at all.

Figments Friend

It'll fizzle out like Pal Mickey or the 100 Year pin badges. If you're going to buy a light up toy, you are. If you aren't, you aren't.

Ahhh...the 'Magical Moment' light up pins (aka 100 Years of Magic pins ). I still have mine and it works.
Thought those were rather cool, and not too intrusive on other Guests experience.

I often wonder if these still activate within the Attractions?
I remember the old 'El Rio' ride over at EPCOT, and 'Small World' at MK both had the best light show activation with these pins.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom