Island Supply in the Magic Kingdom's Adventureland to close next week

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
Were the prices any different than every other Sunglass Hut? Sunglass Hut usually carries all the High End brands and therefore are usually full of pricey sunglasses no matter where the Sunglass Hut resides. It's not a place where people who are used to getting $5 glasses at a Gas Station would go to begin with.
The pricing is the same as at any Sunglass Hut in the USA.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
i mean who is going to WDW to spend 250 + on sunglasses.......well maybe the brazilians. lol
There' are a ton of ignorant comments around here when it comes to the Brazilians at WDW and I'm not sure why it's tolerated by what appear to be otherwise reasonable mods. I understand frustration with the tour groups because they're massive hordes of children who don't speak the language, but mocking Brazilians simply for being Brazilian is over the line.

Have you ever looked around at WDW (or any city anywhere) and notice how many people (white people, black people, Brazilian people, all sorts of people) are wearing Ray-ban or Oakley sunglasses? Most of those folks paid $200 so the price point at WDW isn't any more than what you'd see any place.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
There' are a ton of ignorant comments around here when it comes to the Brazilians at WDW and I'm not sure why it's tolerated by what appear to be otherwise reasonable mods. I understand frustration with the tour groups because they're massive hordes of children who don't speak the language, but mocking Brazilians simply for being Brazilian is over the line.

Have you ever looked around at WDW (or any city anywhere) and notice how many people (white people, black people, Brazilian people, all sorts of people) are wearing Ray-ban or Oakley sunglasses? Most of those folks paid $200 so the price point at WDW isn't any more than what you'd see any place.
Brazilians are huge spenders at WDW, as are the English. And I'm in that group - so I'm allowed to say it! :)

Seriously though, the groups from South America and Europe are big spenders in Florida because the pricing is so much lower than those guests can find at home. The same $100 Ray-Ban at the MK would cost $150+ in England.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Brazilians are huge spenders at WDW, as are the English. And I'm in that group - so I'm allowed to say it! :)

Seriously though, the groups from South America and Europe are big spenders in Florida because the pricing is so much lower than those guests can find at home. The same $100 Ray-Ban at the MK would cost $150+ in England.
This is a nice article that goes about a mile past proving your statement.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way...s-why-its-playstation-4-costs-1-845-in-brazil

kgaf99

Sunglass Hut glasses expensive?

friends004.gif
i guess you missed the point.......

kgaf99

calm down capt america. i wasnt trying to make it a mean comment as you have assumed. i was stated what i feel is the truth. THEY SPEND A LOT OF MONEY!!!!!!

DisDan

The markup on those glasses is absolutely huge, and I am sure that they have built in a large amount of shrinkage into their business model at that location.

The pricing is the same as at any Sunglass Hut in the USA.

Those 2 statements are conflicting. So which is it? Are the prices the same at this location as all others? Or did they mark them up some because of WDW?

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
Those 2 statements are conflicting. So which is it? Are the prices the same at this location as all others? Or did they mark them up some because of WDW?
They don't conflict. I am saying that the pricing at the WDW locations is the same as at all the other Sunglass Hut locations. And that when they made the arrangements with Disney, they went into it knowing what level of product shrinkage would occur. Which I am sure they do at every location they open.

DisDan

They don't conflict. I am saying that the pricing at the WDW locations is the same as at all the other Sunglass Hut locations. And that when they made the arrangements with Disney, they went into it knowing what level of product shrinkage would occur. Which I am sure they do at every location they open.

Ahh I see....Sorry, I misinterpreted your comments. :)

note2001

Who is shrinking the product and are there head hunters involved!? :cautious: (eyes jungle cruise suspiciously and tip toes away)

Ah, now that that's out... going back to my corner...

SnarkyMonkey

Woah woah woah... where did you see $100 Ray-Ban sunglasses anywhere? I don't think I've seen a pair of sunglasses in Sunglass Hut for less than $150. :)

There are definitely sunglasses at Sunglass Hut for less than $150. I just visited their website and the very first thing you see is glasses for $79.99. Ray Ban Juniors are listed at $71.95 and there are Guess glasses for $72 and a few others under $100.

note2001

Big improvement! Now if they could just replace the inside... :p
They don't need to replace it, just give it more diversity and color. Is it really as dark and monochromatic on the brown/tan side in that store as the pictures seem to tell? If so, how do they encourage folk to buy sunglasses in there?

Seems to be an infestation of overpriced sunglasses in there. What they need are some straw soled flip flops, island style hats, Hawaiian shirts, sun dresses, a few coconuts ... basically, bring back what was there, but add in a few high end sunglasses cases.

Last edited:

bhg469

I once ordered sunglasses for myself that happened to be a bit cheaper in the UK even with shipping. After they arrived I got slapped with additional charges around $50 for FDA charges through fedex . The lenses were treated and qualified for the FDA to clear them somehow... I was livid.

I heard once that bazilians can sometimes pay for their entire vacation by buying electronics and selling them back home. That's not a bad deal For them I suppose. As far as sunglass hut, much like the new stores at DTD, and I've said this in other threads it feels like an airport terminal with these brands suddenly showing up on property.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom