Island Supply in the Magic Kingdom's Adventureland to close next week

SnarkyMonkey

I'm sort of torn about this. While I probably will never even go into the Sunglass Hut, I had no real reason to go into Island Supply for years either. I do think they did a pretty good job with the theming though.

I agree with the PP who said they should have a real bazaar. How cool would that be! Not sure I'd want them to get rid of the Flying Carpets though. I know they are a pretty minor attraction but I like them.

RandySavage

Some Before&After to try to analyze what changed.
Before:
MK+Island+Supply.jpg

island_supply_company_003.jpg

After:
Island-Supply_Full_22999.jpg;width=640

I think the signs encapsulate the overall change:
island_supply_company_001.jpg

Island-Supply_Full_22994.jpg;width=640

On the positive side, I won't miss the t-shirt racks pushed out front, and, thankfully, the sponser/owner name is subtitled to "Island Supply."

Last edited:

RandySavage

Does WDW still assume maintenance responsibility for this shop now? I assume Disney is getting a $$ kick back for this new shop?
Doesn't Sunglass Shop lease the space for a period, just like a mall? I'd guess Disney still staffs/cleans it, just like Starbucks.

Since it's basically a removal of some themed elements and racks (and no story elements have been added) maybe Disney Retail or Sunglass Shop handled this project in-house. For example, I believe that Tomorrowland Dance Party Stage was designed by someone contracted by Entertainment and done completely outside WDI.

Last edited:

note2001

Some Before&After to try to analyze what changed.
Before:
MK+Island+Supply.jpg

island_supply_company_003.jpg

After:
Island-Supply_Full_22999.jpg;width=640

I think the signs encapsulate the overall change:
island_supply_company_001.jpg

Island-Supply_Full_22994.jpg;width=640

On the positive side, I won't miss the t-shirt racks pushed out front, and, thankfully, the sponser/owner name is subtitled to "Island Supply."

Thank you for posting pics to compare. It looks like the floor is the same, and the ceiling might even be the same shade of blue. What has changed that stands out, other than all the merchandise being gone is the lighting and details. Lobster traps hanging used as decor I can find easy enough up at home here, it's the little scroll work etc that made up the displays added so much richness to the store (along with the color from the merchandise)

Overall I guess what upsets me about this change is they took one of my daughter & my favorite shops to explore and hope to come across something special that didn't' scream Disney on it to bring home. Yes, most of it was third party manufacturers like Panama Jack, who's name can be found in Kohls these days, but it was the idea that it wasn't the traditional Disney gift shop we liked. Now where am I going to get a coconut to mail home? (at the Poly I believe)

MickeyPeace

This was Meg's parting gift to the guests!

She themed it to Swiss Family Robinson. Since the attraction is so close she themed the store to the movie. After the family gets shipwrecked by pirates, they live in a tree and open a Sunglass Hut below it.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Yep, and the highest I saw today was $850. Just sitting there on a rack.

Some shrinkage is obviously part of the business model. The markup on everything in that store is absolutely ridiculous.

If you have some time, have a read about Luxotica. They basically run the sunglass word, and every brand within it. Sunglass Hut is the public face.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luxottica

Completely OT

As I recall there were barrels of Luxottica in the spy spoof 'Our Man Flint'

note2001

I dropped by this store yesterday and it was a ghost town. There was no one in the store except probably 6 cast members. Keep in mind yesterday was very sunny. I don't see this store lasting very long

Better judge would be when the season picks up. While I think the one in DTD will do fine, the jury is still out on this one. It would probably do much better if they'd add some tropically colored fabrics to the store... sort of like what was there before. And maybe drop all the sunglass cases. ;)

TomP

Wow. That poor store was stripped of all texture and color.
Bad choice Disney. I don't care how much S-hut is paying you in rent and sales. Bad choice.

On the positive side, at least there are no lumberjacks and chainsaws involved this time around.

Oh, yeah?

lumberjack with sunglasses.jpg

roj2323

Better judge would be when the season picks up. While I think the one in DTD will do fine, the jury is still out on this one. It would probably do much better if they'd add some tropically colored fabrics to the store... sort of like what was there before. And maybe drop all the sunglass cases. ;)
I definitely think a lack of color was an issue. It looked very stale and uninviting.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
I dropped by this store yesterday and it was a ghost town. There was no one in the store except probably 6 cast members. Keep in mind yesterday was very sunny. I don't see this store lasting very long
What time were you there?

kgaf99

so on last sat i decided to go there and check it out. ok....so its a store with SUPER OVERLY PRICED sunglasses. the funny thing is that none of the glasses are in the cases. this makes sense bc people will want to try them on. but the kicker is that we were STALKED by the CM's the whole time. i have never stole a thing in my life. lol. needless to say we left soon after bc it was super annoying. however, i can see them loosing tons of money if they dont keep their eyes peeled. not sure where a happy medium could be for that store. i personally dont think its going to last. i mean who is going to WDW to spend 250 + on sunglasses.......well maybe the brazilians. lol

DisDan

Were the prices any different than every other Sunglass Hut? Sunglass Hut usually carries all the High End brands and therefore are usually full of pricey sunglasses no matter where the Sunglass Hut resides. It's not a place where people who are used to getting $5 glasses at a Gas Station would go to begin with.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
so on last sat i decided to go there and check it out. ok....so its a store with SUPER OVERLY PRICED sunglasses. the funny thing is that none of the glasses are in the cases. this makes sense bc people will want to try them on. but the kicker is that we were STALKED by the CM's the whole time. i have never stole a thing in my life. lol. needless to say we left soon after bc it was super annoying. however, i can see them loosing tons of money if they dont keep their eyes peeled. not sure where a happy medium could be for that store. i personally dont think its going to last. i mean who is going to WDW to spend 250 + on sunglasses.......well maybe the brazilians. lol
The markup on those glasses is absolutely huge, and I am sure that they have built in a large amount of shrinkage into their business model at that location.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom