First use of MyMagic+ long-range MagicBand capabilities begins tomorrow at all four parks

Victor Kelly

No.

Why are people seemingly convinced that the pictures being taken will be any different than they previously were? Did you regularly get ride photos in the bathroom stall?

It will happen eventually so we can re-live every moment. Doesn't anyone realize sarcasm when they see or hear it nowadays:rolleyes:.

I was referring to the post talking about ride pictures being taken. Is Disney combining the new whatever its called for pictures with photopass? If they do, and I suspect it will happen eventually, the price will go up. And seeing how we (my wife and I) do not want or need ride photos included in our package, it will result in us not using said package anymore.

I personally love Photopass, and would love it to remain as it is. But at this point, I am leary at anything Disney puts forth as an improvement for the more immersive guest experience, mainly because it involves emptying my pockets more.

Victor Kelly

I'm sure they would lose tons of money if they got rid of photopass, and thats a huge "this is disney thing" dont really know of other parks that have a system as good or better.

From what I have seen, Disney has the best system. And for the price of our 14 day honeymoon, very very well worth the price. It solves the family photo dilemma, the missing relative. There is now a way to avoid the missing relative.....Photopass.

NoChesterHester

From our experience this past trip, it was the first time we did Photopass / Memory Maker - we were pretty disappointed overall. All other trips we saw the photopass photographers everywhere and this time we assumed that would be a great way to capture our family together. This trip there were only the photographers are the major park landmarks (castle, tree, etc...) and rarely in other parts of the parks. Say you get all four major shots at each park plus 4-5 on ride photos... Not worth $200 for sure.

dadddio

So once again everyone complaining about WDW knowing where they are based off and MB must not have cellphones since those can track your movements much better via their GPS radio. This is a neat feature and I look forward to others.
WDW cannot track you through your phone's GPSr.

dadddio

It will happen eventually so we can re-live every moment. Doesn't anyone realize sarcasm when they see or hear it nowadays:rolleyes:.

I was referring to the post talking about ride pictures being taken. Is Disney combining the new whatever its called for pictures with photopass? If they do, and I suspect it will happen eventually, the price will go up. And seeing how we (my wife and I) do not want or need ride photos included in our package, it will result in us not using said package anymore.

I personally love Photopass, and would love it to remain as it is. But at this point, I am leary at anything Disney puts forth as an improvement for the more immersive guest experience, mainly because it involves emptying my pockets more.
Memory Maker doesn't replace photopass. It replaces photopass+.

Here's a comparison between the two.

dadddio

From our experience this past trip, it was the first time we did Photopass / Memory Maker - we were pretty disappointed overall. All other trips we saw the photopass photographers everywhere and this time we assumed that would be a great way to capture our family together. This trip there were only the photographers are the major park landmarks (castle, tree, etc...) and rarely in other parts of the parks. Say you get all four major shots at each park plus 4-5 on ride photos... Not worth $200 for sure.
The Disneyworld site has a map of where photopass photogs are in each park. They are more than four. MK has 33 locations. Epcot has 15. AK has 10. DHS has 16. There are also over a dozen in each waterpark. Of course, this doesn't count the ride and dining photos.

Timekeeper

From what I have seen, Disney has the best system. And for the price of our 14 day honeymoon, very very well worth the price. It solves the family photo dilemma, the missing relative. There is now a way to avoid the missing relative.....Photopass.

You're assuming that some families actually want to "avoid the missing relative."

Lest we forget that one man's "missing relative dilemma" is another man's "mother-in-law solution."

It sounds to me like there will be RFID readers on the ride in the area where the photo was taken. The system will recognize that you are on the ride. If you purchased Memory Maker, the pic will automatically show up in your account. It does not seem like a visit to the counter will be necessary.
That's how I understand it to be as well.

WDWDad13

I'm here now they are everywhere...in the parks, in character meals, water parks, etc

Rob562

WDW cannot track you through your phone's GPSr.

I think they meant your phone's WiFi MAC address, which it's been reported that some larger stores have started doing. When your WiFi is on, it periodically "pings" for active WiFi signals to connect to. Systems can look for those inquiries and record the MAC address of the device doing the pinging. They can then use info on where that phone moved within the store based on which WiFi antennas the phone was pinging. Though it's all just anonymous "guest movement info" because the store would have no way of tying the MAC address of your phone specifically to you.

The Magic Band's active system could theoretically do the exact same thing. If they install antennas throughout the park, they could "listen" to see which Bands were within the range of that antenna and then use that data in aggregate to crunch the data to see what kind of traffic patterns there are in the park. The one difference that some people point out is that unlike and anonymous phone wandering through Target, Disney does have the ability to see who owns a Band. (Though in reality they're really only interested in the mass crowd movements, not an individual's)

-Rob

Tom

Beta Return
I think they meant your phone's WiFi MAC address, which it's been reported that some larger stores have started doing. When your WiFi is on, it periodically "pings" for active WiFi signals to connect to. Systems can look for those inquiries and record the MAC address of the device doing the pinging. They can then use info on where that phone moved within the store based on which WiFi antennas the phone was pinging. Though it's all just anonymous "guest movement info" because the store would have no way of tying the MAC address of your phone specifically to you.

The Magic Band's active system could theoretically do the exact same thing. If they install antennas throughout the park, they could "listen" to see which Bands were within the range of that antenna and then use that data in aggregate to crunch the data to see what kind of traffic patterns there are in the park. The one difference that some people point out is that unlike and anonymous phone wandering through Target, Disney does have the ability to see who owns a Band. (Though in reality they're really only interested in the mass crowd movements, not an individual's)

-Rob

Good points.

I like to continually remind people that more companies are tracking our every move through our smart phones than Disney will ever be able to do with Magic Bands.

Every app comes with a giant disclaimer (which requires agreeing to) indicating all the personal data it harvests. It's scary how much data companies are ACTUALLY collecting, but people are afraid of Disney knowing they've walked around a theme park.

Goofyernmost

Good points.

I like to continually remind people that more companies are tracking our every move through our smart phones than Disney will ever be able to do with Magic Bands.

Every app comes with a giant disclaimer (which requires agreeing to) indicating all the personal data it harvests. It's scary how much data companies are ACTUALLY collecting, but people are afraid of Disney knowing they've walked around a theme park.
One could almost say that they are bending down to pick up pennies while dollars fly overhead couldn't one?

Kevin_W

Just wanted to say that we are down here this week and so far, so good. I actually really love the convenience of the magic band and not having to fish out out photopass cards for the photographers, and the auto-linking of ride photos is a nice convenience. (Everything else about the bands has been great for us too. It's a small thing, but perhaps my favorite is not having to go through a turnstile to exit the park.)

Tom

Beta Return
Just wanted to say that we are down here this week and so far, so good. I actually really love the convenience of the magic band and not having to fish out out photopass cards for the photographers, and the auto-linking of ride photos is a nice convenience. (Everything else about the bands has been great for us too. It's a small thing, but perhaps my favorite is not having to go through a turnstile to exit the park.)

So you have personally experienced the auto-linking of ride photos? Which rides so far, and did you ever check to see if it worked, or taken a backup photo of the screens after the ride?

Kevin_W

So you have personally experienced the auto-linking of ride photos? Which rides so far, and did you ever check to see if it worked, or taken a backup photo of the screens after the ride?

Yes, I have experienced auto-linking on Everest, Tower of Terror, Buzz Lightyear, Space Mountain, and Splash Mountain. No problems any time.

I have checked and they uploaded just fine, although taking a backup photo of the screen would have been a good idea!

cspencer96

Does anyone know if they will still check if it linked automatically at the counter, or if it is even possible for them to now?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom