High Line West Side construction

articos

Mouse Detective

They screwed up and didn't include any secondary tracks the turntable would go to. You guys are putting more thought into it than the designer of this area did.
Who would do that? LOL!
That said, only a train coming across the bridge could have been able to pull into the station. (which is now a restroom facility)

halltd

I hadn't actually noticed in the pavement that there is only one track. So, I'm a bit confused as to the purpose of a turntable. I guess the only thing it could be used for would be to switch an engine or other car from forward to reverse.

Last edited:

WDWtraveler

Photo update as of Wednesday, Oct. 23. The high line structure in front of Splitsville was abandoned, never installed. The high line in front of Disney Quest is completed, with only the high line in front of House of Blues behind construction walls.

IMG_6707.JPG

dstrawn9889

Photo update as of Wednesday, Oct. 23. The high line structure in front of Splitsville was abandoned, never installed. The high line in front of Disney Quest is completed, with only the high line in front of House of Blues behind construction walls.

View attachment 115778
splitsville must have balked about the structure right out in front of their facade...

Next Big Thing

I found it quite interesting that any of the stores would have been okay with this.
Most of the stores that have it in front are Disney owned (Candy Caldron/D-Street/Super Hero Headquarters and Disney Quest). The only other one is by Starbucks, and that one isn't really in the way. If anything, it draws people to the starbucks as they often have live entertainment underneath.

G00fyDad

Most of the stores that have it in front are Disney owned (Candy Caldron/D-Street/Super Hero Headquarters and Disney Quest). The only other one is by Starbucks, and that one isn't really in the way. If anything, it draws people to the starbucks as they often have live entertainment underneath.

Good point. I hadn't thought of that. :)

halltd

The high line structure in front of Splitsville was abandoned, never installed.
Do we know that a section was even supposed to go here? I know construction walls were up, but they were probably just replacing the concrete to show the fake foundations. Did you happen to see if the pavement is new in that area?

Next Big Thing

Do we know that a section was even supposed to go here? I know construction walls were up, but they were probably just replacing the concrete to show the fake foundations. Did you happen to see if the pavement is new in that area?
I thought at one point I remember it went vertical there and then came down, but I may very well be wrong.

halltd

Photo update as of Tuesday, June 30. Construction walls have moved in front of Splitsville as more "faux" pillar remnants are being added to the pavement between the high line sections.

View attachment 99009

The concrete pillars seen here are NOT for a new high line, but only to hold the construction wall in place.

View attachment 99010
This is all I remember ever seeing. As traveler noted, those concrete piers were just to hold up the construction walls. To me, it looks like they were just doing pavement. But also, I could be very wrong. :) Just surmising on my part.

hpyhnt 1000

I thought at one point I remember it went vertical there and then came down, but I may very well be wrong.

It's difficult to tell, but on the leaked Master Plan for Disney Springs, it looks like the plan at some point was to have a much longer high line section between Disney Quest and Splitsville. You've really gotta squint as the "West Side" label is directly on top, but you can just make out the blue section of high line. Note that all the other blue sections do correspond with completed high line sections.

Screen Shot 2015-10-23 at 11.24.20 AM.png

Judging from the Master Plan, that would have put the structure right where the walls were in @WDWtraveler's update from May 29 and June 20:

Photo update as of Friday, May 29. Two additional high line structures are being added to West Side: in front of Curl by Sammy Duvall and Disney Quest. Construction walls are in place. The entrances to the stores on the left are still accessible. The high line structure in front of Disney Quest is already vertical and painted.

View attachment 94785

The concrete supports for the high line in the foreground are behind the construction wall. See photo below taken from second story of Splitsville. The pavement between these two construction sites already has the "faux" pillar remnants in place.

View attachment 94786

Photo update as of Saturday, June 20. The construction fence for the additional west side high line now extends beyond the Disney Quest ticket queue and entrance. A passageway exists between the building and the construction fence.

View attachment 97748

Here is a Google Maps view with what the Master Plan appears to show, which is a lengthy high line structure stretching from Disney Quest to Curl by Sammy Duvall:

Screen Shot 2015-10-23 at 11.44.13 AM.png

Looks like we only ended up with the very western bit of this high line section for the final product. I agree with the theory that Splitsville, Curl, and Fit2Run didn't appreciate a big pointless structure hiding their establishments.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom