Imagineer Tom Fitzgerald takes over the creative direction of Epcot

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
I think most of the walls trusses were all built and put in place by cranes was it not?

You can see the progression from the beginning of my trip to the last few days of my trip.
I'm shooting into the sun so they are dark but you can see the sections of the walls that construction workers are building and filling in and with the crane where they are working on a small portion of one of the roofs.

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

If they were built offsight I did not see that happen. There was only one crane up for all the units that I ever saw in use. I can't wrap my brain about all these prefabs coming in by barge and making the progress they did in less than 2 weeks. It be different if they could truck in prefabs to the construction sight but this is a site surrounded by water. But I saw the barges floating out materials but because I didn't see any prefab units on those barges, that is not saying I didn't miss floating prefabs in the lake. It certainly couldn't be like the prefab of the Contemporary but I could buy into all the beams and truss pieces all landing on the pier cut to length. There were around 20 guys per unit working.

Where I did see prefab construction like you indicate, in a manner I hadn't seen before was Dwarf. 3rd Week of April 2012. It was actually kind of intimidating. There were massive pieces of sold concrete squares and rectangles floating through the air, foundation and pillars. As I was walking into Circus floating above me (don't think that was planned) was a twirling slab of concrete larger than my 2 1/2 car garage footprint and a couple feet thick. After that week it appeared that the prefab foundation for the main mountain of Dwarf was put together like a puzzle. It was pretty awesome, I've only seen foundations poured on construction sights.

Last edited:

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
We rode Universe of Energy 2nd week April. 2 of 3 giant vehicles were used, middle one empty. Was plenty of room for more guests in the two vehicles used however I was surprised that there were that many guests in the attraction during a slower time, spring breaks were over and too early for Easter.

Beholder

Just an aside, but I just (today) picked up an old WDW book from a used book sale. It's an early to mid 80's book that has an overview of the MK, EPCOT, WS, and the few resorts available at the time. First of all, the memories! Wow. Second though, I'm actually stunned by the original EPCOT and differences there in. I would give anything to go back and hit Horizons, WoM, Communicor, LS, all of it. I know it's been said a thousand times how "old" EPCOT was better, and believe me, I'm not trying to start another debate, but this book has really, without a doubt, reminded me how great it was. It's my opinion, but I was there. It was simply the most amazing theme park in the world.

Also, I'd like to add to the whole unique merchandise discussion and why it was great. This is a quote from this same book and it refers to the Olde World Antiques. "Antique crystal decanters, colonial china and early American furniture can be found at Olde World Antiques. At Mlle. Lafayette's Parfumie, you may have a fragrance blended just for you. Each personal scent is assigned an identification number so that it can be reordered by mail." I want to beat a few TDO execs over the head with this book. I can't even imagine something like this even being possible, but the details and level of quality was second to NONE.

Sorry this went off the rails somewhat, but I just had to share with my extended Disney family.

Last edited:
A big part of why Epcot is stuck in the mud today is due to Mr. Fitzgerald and his ilk of second and third rate/generation Walt Disney Manageering. EPCOT has an identity crisis as does Tomorrowland, Hollywood Studios, and especially DCA. These minds brought some great attractions but also these exact quagmires that the park is stuck in. The park no longer is sure what it is or as managers would like "to sell it out" to be. The plush sales are not where they should be or perhaps the park was not intended for sales of plush. However you read it. EPCOT needs to be smartened up not dumbed down any longer.

Beholder

Regardless if they update, backdate, replace, re-imagine or whatever direction they choose, a real, concentrated effort HAS to be made. A direction, a means of achieving that goal, all while honoring the scope and what EPCOT was trying to achieve. Anything less than that will, I suppose, mean more of the same. Character tie-ins, movie tie-ins, cheap, easy "fixes". This is probably WAY over the top and overly dramatic, but EPCOT transcended the normal trappings of the theme park. It's message was big, the scale was tremendous and it achieved it! I really, really miss the "good old" days. Here's to better days.

Prototype82

I love spaceship earth in its current state. I think test track 2.0 was a step in the right direction. I think nemo is the worst dark ride in any Disney park. Crush is amazing and I hope new tech comes with Soarin over the world.
Contrary to popular belief, spaceship earth in its current state has a solid story and is the most thematically sound and resounding attraction in future world. I'll stand behind this. The finale is entertaining for youngsters (and adults) without spoiling it with irrelevant franchise characters. And I agree. Test Track 2.0 added a surge of futurism that the park desperately needed.

michmousefan

Trying to read the tea leaves for Epcot a bit... if the current focus of TDO is indeed DVC and the rumors of an Epcot-based DVC come to fruition, I can see removing what's left of WOL and having that land be your point of entry to-from Epcot from the DVC, which will straddle the east parking lot and the area vacated by WOL.

Then they can make the Odyssey area -- perhaps with some additional construction -- your new Festival Center for the Food/Wine and Garden shows. Would be much more fitting to have the Festival Center actually *next* to the actual festivities.

I also hope that Fitzgerald's new responsibilities mean he is going to tackle a new, reimagined Imagination, and if they do put that DVC in, Energy has to have a major update that it has been awaiting for at least five years.

And of course, the usual triage at Epcot we have been talking about for a long time... new film at Norway, updated (just freshen) Impressions de France, add a new major attraction to the UK Pavilion to balance out that side of WS a little.

doctornick

And of course, the usual triage at Epcot we have been talking about for a long time... new film at Norway, updated (just freshen) Impressions de France, add a new major attraction to the UK Pavilion to balance out that side of WS a little.

It always seems like Japan is the most mentioned country to get an attraction on the west side of WS. I think Martin has mentioned that they have plans for a ride ready to go for Japan, if they had a sponsor willing to bankroll it (or at least some of the costs).

Captain Neo

An insider on Laughingplace claims the only reason Fitzgerald ended up at Epcot is because he was becoming problematic on the Star Wars Land project @ DL. Apparently there was some talk of building Star Wars Land on a new unused parcel of land and then closing Star Tours in tomorrow land and moving the AA's but since Star Tours 2 was Fitzgeralds project (that he is so proud of since it stamped out the Baxter original) he started a big fuss so the team complained to upper management and he was removed.

Knowing the way Fitzgerald behaves I think it might actually be true.

FerretAfros

An insider on Laughingplace claims the only reason Fitzgerald ended up at Epcot is because he was becoming problematic on the Star Wars Land project @ DL. Apparently there was some talk of building Star Wars Land on a new unused parcel of land and then closing Star Tours in tomorrow land and moving the AA's but since Star Tours 2 was Fitzgeralds project (that he is so proud of since it stamped out the Baxter original) he started a big fuss so the team complained to upper management and he was removed.

Knowing the way Fitzgerald behaves I think it might actually be true.
I wouldn't put too much credibility into his account at the moment. In the past couple of weeks, he's given wildly different versions of plans that are basically a "done deal" that just don't make any sense and would require significant work with the City of Anaheim to construct the Star Wars area in current parking lots that aren't contiguous to DCA. There's no way that they would do that construction before using all of the available space within the park, and there's really no way to thematically tie Star Wars to California since there's no space for it in the Backlot

There may be some truth to Tom's meddling being part of the reason for his move (I have no knowledge either way), but keep the reliability of the source in mind

Captain Neo

I wouldn't put too much credibility into his account at the moment. In the past couple of weeks, he's given wildly different versions of plans that are basically a "done deal" that just don't make any sense and would require significant work with the City of Anaheim to construct the Star Wars area in current parking lots that aren't contiguous to DCA. There's no way that they would do that construction before using all of the available space within the park, and there's really no way to thematically tie Star Wars to California since there's no space for it in the Backlot

There may be some truth to Tom's meddling being part of the reason for his move (I have no knowledge either way), but keep the reliability of the source in mind

Oh hey ferret didn't know you hang around here too

The only way they can thematically do it is if they re-route or add a new route to the Monorail that connects Tomorrowland with Star Wars Land. Star Wars Land could have its own entrance too that would require the purchase of a Disneyland ticket. They are doing something similar at Universal Orlando with Harry Potter. But that would probably require City of Anaheim approval too.

TinkerBell9988

I get this is tongue and cheek, but haven't most of their recent updates been improvements?

Tiki Birds - much better
Country Bears - shorter but tighter
BTM - queue is a vast improvement
HM - A++ with the graveyard being an exception

I agree with all of your points above except The Country Bear Jamboree refurb. The show is too short and all mixed up. I'm a fan of the original, and it is hard for me to watch the new version.

BoarderPhreak

Just an aside, but I just (today) picked up an old WDW book from a used book sale. It's an early to mid 80's book that has an overview of the MK, EPCOT, WS, and the few resorts available at the time. First of all, the memories! Wow. Second though, I'm actually stunned by the original EPCOT and differences there in. I would give anything to go back and hit Horizons, WoM, Communicor, LS, all of it. I know it's been said a thousand times how "old" EPCOT was better, and believe me, I'm not trying to start another debate, but this book has really, without a doubt, reminded me how great it was. It's my opinion, but I was there. It was simply the most amazing theme park in the world.

Also, I'd like to add to the whole unique merchandise discussion and why it was great. This is a quote from this same book and it refers to the Olde World Antiques. "Antique crystal decanters, colonial china and early American furniture can be found at Olde World Antiques. At Mlle. Lafayette's Parfumie, you may have a fragrance blended just for you. Each personal scent is assigned an identification number so that it can be reordered by mail." I want to beat a few TDO execs over the head with this book. I can't even imagine something like this even being possible, but the details and level of quality was second to NONE.

Sorry this went off the rails somewhat, but I just had to share with my extended Disney family.
This, this and... THIS!

Yes, the original EPCOT Center was definitely a stand-out - with an incredible vibe to it.

NoChesterHester

I agree with all of your points above except The Country Bear Jamboree refurb. The show is too short and all mixed up. I'm a fan of the original, and it is hard for me to watch the new version.

Ok. I can see that. I still believe the refurb itself was quality. The show looks and sounds great.

Test Track was also overwhelmingly positive.

The big mess up that sticks out in my mind is Space Mountain. Not that the refurb looks bad, but it was a huge missed opportunity to do oh so much more.

Just pointing out that many of the standard fan talking points of poor quality and poorly done refurbs is just not true. Management may be cutting refurb budgets, but I stand by my belief that WDI budgets are crazy bloated anyway. The reason we don't see more done is that they cost 5x what it should.

Omnispace

Oh hey ferret didn't know you hang around here too

The only way they can thematically do it is if they re-route or add a new route to the Monorail that connects Tomorrowland with Star Wars Land. Star Wars Land could have its own entrance too that would require the purchase of a Disneyland ticket. They are doing something similar at Universal Orlando with Harry Potter. But that would probably require City of Anaheim approval too.

To connect the two Star Wars sections they could make the Star Tours vehicles actually go someplace!! :) I think my favorite blue sky rumor I heard on a similar matter was in the late 90's when the idea was for Disney to purchase Knott's, turn it into Disney's America, and then connect it to Disneyland with a monorail along I-5. How cool would that be??

The rumor about Tom being placed on another project for political reasons sounds very consistent with the way corporations work. Whatever the story is, I wonder how much truth there is to that. I can definitely see Disney placing him at Epcot and then spinning the story that they are doing it to enhance the guest experience.

Another name I haven't heard mentioned in a while is John Lasseter. Is he completely out of the theme park attraction picture unless it involves a Pixar attraction? In addition to his other duties, I thought his role was to be somewhat of watchdog when it came to the creative aspects of Disney's parks. Has all that changed now that Steve is no longer with us?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom