Nanea Volcano feature pool at Disney's Polynesian Resort closing in August for extended refurb

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Look, artists or technicians doesn't really matter... I think the point is, they lack a sense of style and staging that past Disney Imagineers seemed to have excelled at. Maybe corporate culture does not allow them to create the beautiful immersive environments they once did...that were truly transportive...not necessarily literal. It's about a certain lack of style and drama...they don't seem to have the same touch...
I don't mean to be negative, but was expecting this to look amazing after the defurb of the lobby...Maybe I should continue to lower my expectations...

Yes lowering your expectations I think is essential, But no matter how low expect Disney to undershoot them.

Bocabear

Yes lowering your expectations I think is essential, But no matter how low expect Disney to undershoot them.
It seems like that more and more...and I remember a time when, yes it was expensive, but it was an amazing experience...at every turn. Maybe it is a problem of too many people in their marketing machine... they don't need to market, they are at saturation level on every venue it seems...now maybe it is time to rebuild the quality of the brand for the next generation...

Sped2424

Would you like some cheese with that?, The fact is that today's work from WDI lacks soul and it's pretty obvious from the work they turn out these days what their toolset is. I've got both 3D printers and multi-axis milling machines, Machines have a regularity of features which hand work lacks and if one has made parts with these types of machines one knows what to look for.

The simple fact is 3D CNC is CHEAPER than hand work as such Disney will prefer it. There is nothing wrong using 3D as a tool but when they are only tool in use the work tends to be lacking from a creative standpoint.

Simple fact is the new work is not up to the standard WDI maintained up through the late 90's, Disney pushed out the 'old guard' like Tony Baxter and Eddie Sotto and other guys with formal arts and architecture training with a bunch of 'clip art kids'. I wonder how Joe Rohde has managed to hang on so long at WDI.
Mystic-Manor-Hong-Kong-Disneyland-Mystic-Point-Haunted-Mansion.jpeg

"No soul"
GG_Making_of_-_Grizzly_Gulch_overview_0_Original.jpg

"No Soul"
Cars-Land-At-Night-Wide.jpg

"No soul"
Prince-Erics-Castle-at-Journey-of-the-Little-Mermaid-in-Fantasyland.jpg

(While the inside of the ride is sub par for a lot of different reasons no one can deny the queue for this attraction isn't excellent.)
n017729_2050jan01_ratatouille-laventure-completement-toquee_16-9.jpg

Anyways the facts are these, the company when given their imagineers a better budget and regin is capable of highly immersive and beautiful lands and attractions. Experiences that are on par with anything the company did in the past. But for you to sit there and whine and act like they are a bunch of no talent peeps with 0 art skills is not only wrong and way off, BUT HIGHLY disrespectful as to what these group of people are indeed capable of. This is not the work of "clip art kids" but individuals whom have skill sets that neither you nor I posses. So please stop with all the put downs. TWDC sucks in churning out new lands of substance and quality here in florida so I guess that's why you could be jaded, but remember when put to the task they are capable of greatness.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Mystic-Manor-Hong-Kong-Disneyland-Mystic-Point-Haunted-Mansion.jpeg

"No soul"
GG_Making_of_-_Grizzly_Gulch_overview_0_Original.jpg

"No Soul"
Cars-Land-At-Night-Wide.jpg

"No soul"
Prince-Erics-Castle-at-Journey-of-the-Little-Mermaid-in-Fantasyland.jpg

(While the inside of the ride is sub par for a lot of different reasons no one can deny the queue for this attraction isn't excellent.)
n017729_2050jan01_ratatouille-laventure-completement-toquee_16-9.jpg

Anyways the facts are these, the company when given their imagineers a better budget and regin is capable of highly immersive and beautiful lands and attractions. Experiences that are on par with anything the company did in the past. But for you to sit there and whine and act like they are a bunch of no talent peeps with 0 art skills is not only wrong and way off, BUT HIGHLY disrespectful as to what these group of people are indeed capable of. This is not the work of "clip art kids" but individuals whom have skill sets that neither you nor I posses. So please stop with all the put downs. TWDC sucks in churning out new lands of substance and quality here in florida so I guess that's why you could be jaded, but remember when put to the task they are capable of greatness.

I'd agree except ALL of these were done before Iger and his crew booted the 'Old Guard' like Tony Baxter, Marty Sklar and Eddie Sotto from WDI.

A better example would be NFL with the broken forced perspective (Beast's Castle) and the fractal geometry so obvious in the rockwork. The work at the Poly fits the same mold it's TECHNICALLY correct but it just does not get it done from a experience standpoint.

The only recent work which is decent is the Harambe expansion but of course Joe Rohde is in charge of that the last of the 'Old Guard' at WDI, I'm always wondering if he has dirt on someone because all of his peers have been kicked to the curb.

Last edited:

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
It seems like that more and more...and I remember a time when, yes it was expensive, but it was an amazing experience...at every turn. Maybe it is a problem of too many people in their marketing machine... they don't need to market, they are at saturation level on every venue it seems...now maybe it is time to rebuild the quality of the brand for the next generation...

Yes I think that would be the correct approach but like Spirit notes WDW is like the person who wants to lose weight and is willing to do anything but diet and exercise.

gmajew

Premium Member
I'd agree except ALL of these were done before Iger and his crew booted the 'Old Guard' like Tony Baxter, Marty Sklar and Eddie Sotto from WDI.

A better example would be NFL with the broken forced perspective (Beast's Castle) and the fractal geometry so obvious in the rockwork. The work at the Poly fits the same mold it's TECHNICALLY correct but it just does not get it done from a experience standpoint.

The only recent work which is decent is the Harambe expansion but of course Joe Rohde is in charge of that the last of the 'Old Guard' at WDI, I'm always wondering if he has dirt on someone because all of his peers have been kicked to the curb.

When did the rock work at NFL start being sub par? When it was all released and park opened everyone was saying how fabulous it was on these boards including most of the disney bashers?

When did that change that it is now bad work?

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
When did the rock work at NFL start being sub par? When it was all released and park opened everyone was saying how fabulous it was on these boards including most of the disney bashers?

When did that change that it is now bad work?

It's pretty and aruguably the best feature of NFL but compared to the rockwork at RSR it just is not up to the standards set by the 'old' WDI, Once again it's both the geometry which most will never notice and the broken forced perspective. RSR got the forced perspective right, NFL did not.

Why we will never know but I expect it's because it was designed on a computer and the designer trusted the software too much because they did not have a intuitive understanding of how forced perspective works as someone with training in the arts would have.

Not that artists do not use computers but they know that the computer is only a tool like a brush or a chisel and it should not be allowed to make the final decisions.

Monkee Girl

Hey guys. Just got back from the Poly this morning and just wanted to throw my opinion in there. I have been going to the Polynesian loyally for the last 6 years and it's my favorite place to go. However, the changes and revisions are very sub par to me and I feel like it is more of a down grade than an upgrade. The lobby is just awful; it feels more like a shopping mall than a lobby. Way too many chairs and it's noisy as heck! What use to be a very quiet pleasant and relaxing place is now just a free for all. Disney wants it to be a 'gathering place' but all it is is a place for people to charge their phones. And people are slobs; someone left a frozen drink glass on the railing of the second floor. Do you think anyone would remove it? no. My little cousin grabbed it and gave it to the CM at the store before it fell down and hit someone below.

I never had an interest in seeing the castle from the lobby. To me, the Polynesian is supposed to make you feel like you are on an island; away from all that. I want the vegitation; the trees, the running brook and bamboo bridge. It's all gone and the place now feels empty...oh, except for that patch of grass the kids all roll on now.

the pool area is horrible. So the kiddie area is now directly next to the outside eating area and bar. When it opens, it is going to be just a noisy unpleasant place. I ate outside once and I couldn't take it anymore. Gone are the trees and peaceful area to enjoy breakfast. The pool area is so crowded with chairs it's pretty much an eye sore. Is there REALLY a need for 200 chairs? I can see the chairs being put away and having people pull them out as needed but that is not the case. It is just a sea of chairs. Anyone thinking they are going to lay by the pool to watch their kids, think again. unless you are in that first row, you don't even see the pool! there is no shade, not enough tables and the volcano itself just looks like a lackluster version of Thunder Mountain. It's ugly.

Then there is the gate. Be warned, that gate slams shut every few seconds and people are coming and going. Even if you try to lightly close it; it still makes that metal banging noise. So there is no way you can relax hearing the constant banging over and over. And for some reason, the poly did NOT lock the gates. People can still get in even if they are not staying at the resort. My cousin was talking to a woman who had their whole family in the pool and they were staying outside the Disney Resort all together. So if they are not going to lock the gate, then what is the point?

The whole Polynesian atmosphere was different. the CMs seems very on edge and not pleasant. I feel bad for them because they are the closest people have to vent to and get the brunt of the anger. It's not their fault and they can't do anything about it. But it doesn't change the fact that they don't seem happy. We as guests were not happy and the general consensus of the my party is that the Polynesian has lost it's magic and charm.

Oh...and to top it all off...They changed the Stitch Juice!!! Now, instead of a really sweet thick juice, it's now water with a slight flavor. I guess what really annoys me is that I am a loyal guest and none of the changes made were of any benefit to me and instead took away what I enjoyed most about the resort. I understand wanting to pull more families in to make money, but there has to be a better way to appeal to guests of all types. Instead, they chose the cheapest easiest way and it comes off lazy, uninspired, and cheap.

If I had to give them one complement; I did like the Pineapple Lenai. It was quiet with just enough chairs and I like that we are now served. However, I wish they allowed us to have a choice in size. The amount they are instructed to give is too much for me and would appreciate a little less in the cup. Oh, and don't bother on buying the souvenir cups; they are cheap plastic, lol but the overall idea of the place is nice.

Anyway; just my two cents. I want to go one more time next year...giving them time to work out the kinks and finish construction (So afraid of what they are going to do to the 'quiet' pool) but I am starting to feel the need to find another resort to go to. Since they don't seem to want my business anymore. :(

Last edited:

BuzzKillington

That so-called volcano looks like a pile of hippo dung that you would see on the safari ride and no kid in their right mind would equate that thing with your garden-variety volcano. Disney blew it and could have incorporated something exciting like they have at the Mirage in Vegas (minus the flames).

aladdin2007

Hey guys. Just got back from the Poly this morning and just wanted to throw my opinion in there. I have been going to the Polynesian loyally for the last 6 years and it's my favorite place to go. However, the changes and revisions are very sub par to me and I feel like it is more of a down grade than an upgrade. The lobby is just awful; it feels more like a shopping mall than a lobby. Way too many chairs and it's noisy as heck! What use to be a very quiet pleasant and relaxing place is now just a free for all. Disney wants it to be a 'gathering place' but all it is is a place for people to charge their phones. And people are slobs; someone left a frozen drink glass on the railing of the second floor. Do you think anyone would remove it? no. My little cousin grabbed it and gave it to the CM at the store before it fell down and hit someone below.

I never had an interest in seeing the castle from the lobby. To me, the Polynesian is supposed to make you feel like you are on an island; away from all that. I want the vegitation; the trees, the running brook and bamboo bridge. It's all gone and the place now feels empty...oh, except for that patch of grass the kids all roll on now.

the pool area is horrible. So the kiddie area is now directly next to the outside eating area and bar. When it opens, it is going to be just a noisy unpleasant place. I ate outside once and I couldn't take it anymore. Gone are the trees and peaceful area to enjoy breakfast. The pool area is so crowded with chairs it's pretty much an eye sore. Is there REALLY a need for 200 chairs? I can see the chairs being put away and having people pull them out as needed but that is not the case. It is just a sea of chairs. Anyone thinking they are going to lay by the pool to watch their kids, think again. unless you are in that first row, you don't even see the pool! there is no shade, not enough tables and the volcano itself just looks like a lackluster version of Thunder Mountain. It's ugly.

Then there is the gate. Be warned, that gate slams shut every few seconds and people are coming and going. Even if you try to lightly close it; it still makes that metal banging noise. So there is no way you can relax hearing the constant banging over and over. And for some reason, the poly did NOT lock the gates. People can still get in even if they are not staying at the resort. My cousin was talking to a woman who had their whole family in the pool and they were staying outside the Disney Resort all together. So if they are not going to lock the gate, then what is the point?

The whole Polynesian atmosphere was different. the CMs seems very on edge and not pleasant. I feel bad for them because they are the closest people have to vent to and get the brunt of the anger. It's not their fault and they can't do anything about it. But it doesn't change the fact that they don't see happy. We as guests were not happy and the general consensus of the my party is that the Polynesian has lost it's magic and charm.

Oh...and to top it all off...They changed the Stitch Juice!!! Now, instead of a really sweet thick juice, it's now water with a slight flavor. I guess what really annoys me is that I am a loyal guest and none of the changes made were of any benefit to me and instead took away what I enjoyed most about the resort. I understand wanting to pull more families in to make money, but there has to be a better way to appeal to guests of all types. Instead, they chose the cheapest easiest way and it comes off lazy, uninspired, and cheap.

If I had to give them one complement; I did like the Pineapple Lenai. It was quiet with just enough chairs and I like that we are now served. However, I wish they allowed us to have a choice in size. The amount they are instructed to give is too much for me and would appreciate a little less in the cup. Oh, and don't bother on buying the souvenir cups; they are cheap plastic, lol but the overall idea of the place is nice.

Anyway; just my two sense. I want to go one more time next year...giving them time to work out the kinks and finish construction (So afraid of what they are going to do to the 'quiet' pool) but I am starting to feel the need to find another resort to go to. Since they don't seem to want my business anymore. :(

While I know it wont change anything, I think you should send your post in a letter form to Disney. I can agree with all you stated. I think the one thing I did like out of this was the new retro wall mural in the lobby, other than that your sentiments are spot on and not alone. Some cast are not thrilled with the changes either and are even being vocal about it with guests with their own opinions, I could tell they were getting complaints from people, the whole vibe is quite depressing I felt.

Monkee Girl

While I know it wont change anything, I think you should send your post in a letter form to Disney. I can agree with all you stated. I think the one thing I did like out of this was the new retro wall mural in the lobby, other than that your sentiments are spot on and not alone.

Thanks. I do feel passionate enough to send it. Of course I will write it more professionally and with less errors, lol.

I try to be understanding of what Disney is trying to do and I know it can be hard to make changes when you have such a loyal dedicated fan base. But I can't help feeling the way I feel. The more I think about it and the more I see/read their white-washed promos the angrier I get. It may not lead to anything as you said, but It couldn't hurt to send it.

aladdin2007

Thanks. I do feel passionate enough to send it. Of course I will write it more professionally and with less errors, lol.

I try to be understanding of what Disney is trying to do and I know it can be hard to make changes when you have such a loyal dedicated fan base. But I can't help feeling the way I feel. The more I think about it and the more I see/read their white-washed promos the angrier I get. It may not lead to anything as you said, but It couldn't hurt to send it.

They had plenty of outcry and petitions when they announced changes were going to happen, it would be interesting to know if complaints are still rolling in. By the way some cast are talking it sounds like they are. But yeah its very much a good thing to share your opinions with Disney, I feel like the Wilderness Lodge is next to be ruined with DVC additions and changes.

Monkee Girl

They had plenty of outcry and petitions when they announced changes were going to happen, it would be interesting to know if complaints are still rolling in. By the way some cast are talking it sounds like they are. But yeah its very much a good thing to share your opinions with Disney, I feel like the Wilderness Lodge is next to be ruined with DVC additions and changes.

Ugh, that's a shame. I would love to go to the Wilderness but my traveling party is so spoiled, they won't leave the Monorail loop.

I like the way the contemporary and GF did their DVCs; separate buildings away from the originals but still a part of the resort. I would have preferred the Poly do the same. Pick a patch of land, even if it meant taking a building or two, and just building a separate 'tower' for the DVC. Make is look similar to Aulani or something. One building just a few stories more than a regular long house and give them their own pool area area and things. What they did now is just too cluttered and ugly. I REALLY want to know about the people who get stuck in the Bungaloes right next to the TTC. Do they hear the boats all night? I would hate to be those people.

Bocabear

I really dislike the rubble waterfalls they are doing all of the sudden...and while it is nice to finally have a splash area for the kids....many hotels have better.... oh yeah I forgot to lower my expectations....
Wow that's fantastic~

COProgressFan

I REALLY want to know about the people who get stuck in the Bungaloes right next to the TTC. Do they hear the boats all night? I would hate to be those people.

I wonder this too. Many years ago, when prices were not nearly as insane as they are today, we stayed in a lagoon facing room right near the end of the building that abuts the TTC. Things were quiet in the room, but whenever we had the balcony door open, you could clearly hear every announcement made on the ferry boats. It was wasn't enough to "ruin" our stay or anything like that, but it certainly detracted from the peaceful beach ambiance the area is supposed to have.

I would imagine noise from the TTC and ferry boats is much louder in bungalows, as some of them are very close to the TTC. Not a lot of privacy, peace or quiet when tens of thousands of guests pass each day by your bungalow 100 feet away.

majortom1981

What would you have done different? A much larger splash area? And where would you find the land to put this grand area? They did as much as they could given the space allocated while tying it into trader sams.
The splash area needed to happen. Period. I think it looks great and those of us with little ones absolutely appreciate it.

I can't help that when I look at the pool and splash area to think that it's just an Aulani-light. Talk about the most amazing splash pad of all the resorts... Menehune bridge has no rivals. I think Aulani has forever ruined the Polynesian pools for me- even though I like the pool area remodel as a whole.

Have you seen the splash n play area at kidani? I think its pretty good. Some of the ones they just added to Saratoga are pretty good also. My son had a blast at the one at Saratoga this past September.

RSoxNo1

It's pretty and aruguably the best feature of NFL but compared to the rockwork at RSR it just is not up to the standards set by the 'old' WDI, Once again it's both the geometry which most will never notice and the broken forced perspective. RSR got the forced perspective right, NFL did not.

Why we will never know but I expect it's because it was designed on a computer and the designer trusted the software too much because they did not have a intuitive understanding of how forced perspective works as someone with training in the arts would have.

Not that artists do not use computers but they know that the computer is only a tool like a brush or a chisel and it should not be allowed to make the final decisions.
The only forced perspective issue I have with New Fantasyland is the Be Our Guest castle.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom