Creature Comforts at Disney's Animal Kingdom to become Starbucks

The Empress Lilly

Where are the animals?

Creature Comfort's successor needs animals. And not just any. CC has one particular type of animals: speckled. Striped and spotted. This ties the paint, colour and decoration scheme in with each other, and as animal motifs tie these in turn in with rest of the park.They tie the interior space in with the outdoor space - there are speckled and striped animals on the roof, on the lampposts outside. And, not least, ties it in with the rest of Discovery Island, where all the individual dwellings have in common that they are designed around groups of animals, whether prey and hunter, or sea creatures, or speckled.

This un-traditional grouping of animals is one of Discovery Island's charms. It is naive, jubilant, loving. It liberates it from the need to be geographical, such as Asia or Africa, or from any scientific natural world classification, such as extant, extinct or cryptozoological. It would be a shame if DAK would decline by this sort of silent, barely noticeable degrees. We'll see.

Starbucks-Disneys-Animal-Kingdom_Full_23192.jpg

halltd

Since basically all of the buildings on Discovery Island are being renovated, I have a feeling the original character of the bright animal carvings and buildings is changing. Just a guess on my part, but that's what I thought as I walked around last week.

Starbucks got animals back on the outside, but not as many and definitely not as vibrant.

The Empress Lilly

Since basically all of the buildings on Discovery Island are being renovated, I have a feeling the original character of the bright animal carvings and buildings is changing.
You may be on to something! Hey, if they change it all they change it all and then we'll judge the new look on its new merits.

Wow, DAK is getting an extreme make-over. Am curious to see what the place will be like in two or three years. I like more than love the architecture on Discovery Island (and very nineties haute couleur!) so I'll let myself be pleasantry surprised if they've got something better for us in stock!

lnsemsf

The closure dates were updated. The previous April 22nd day was a duplicate of Flame Tree. The closure is now listed as closed through June 14, so Starbucks should open on or around June 15.

MarkTwain

If only it were in Africa.

It looks like it would fit right in at DAK Lodge/Kidani Village, if not the hyper-themed Harambe. It certainly doesn't fit with the rest of Discovery Island. It's a shame because Discovery Island really seems to be themed to a colorful celebration of life and animals in general, free of geographical context.

Isn't Creature Comforts right next to the bridge to Harambe though? Maybe they were trying to establish a connection there, or create a transition Crystal Palace-style.

Last edited:

Kman101

They also seem to have been getting away from the cartoony/bright colors in Discovery Island. I'm guessing they want to better blend the areas but that's just a thought.

jpittore1

We were testers there today. We received a free coupon for either a hot/cold drink or a pastry. The size was determined on the coupon so they could practice making different sizes. They have green cardboard paper straws. I had a carmel ribbon Frap and the paper straw was stronger than normal. There are no drink stoppers for the hot drinks for animal safety.

It is beautiful inside. We were not allowed to take pictures. It also appears Starbucks will have a limited Animal Kingdom mug for sale tomorrow for their Grand opening

Attachments

• 20150617_163110.jpg
    20150617_163110.jpg
    195.7 KB · Views: 110
Last edited:

Jon81uk

We were testers there today. We received a free coupon for either a hot/cold drink or a pastry. The size was determined on the coupon so they could practicing make different sizes. They have green cardboard paper straws. I had a carmel ribbon Frap and the paper straw was stronger than normal. There are no drink stoppers for the hot drinks for animal safety.

It is beautiful inside. We were not allowed to take pictures. It also appears Starbucks well have a limited Animal Kingdom mug for sale tomorrow.

Paper straws are cool!

flyerjab

I love the Creature Comforts sign with the monkeys drinking cups of coffee. We will be there in about 4 weeks, hopefully the Starbucks DAK mug is still on stock. That is a must have on my list.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom