7DMT Animatronics

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Popcorn at the ready waiting to see how these will be spun as anything but extremely impressive. Wonder if "worse than carousel of progress" will make another appearance.
Well, you continue to, so fair is fair....

hpyhnt 1000

The dwarf AAs do look very impressive. Kudos to Imagineering.

Pretty much. Simple limited-motion figures with some articulated features.

Yeah, compared to what we (thought we) knew about the figures, the ones in the video are lightyears more advanced.

But as stunning as they are, if given the choice I would have rather had the longer track length ride even if it meant using simple figures versus the short ride with advanced figures that we have now.

MerlinTheGoat

Is it internal or is it projection mapping?
I don't actually have any sort of confirmation, but I still have to assume internal due to two reasons. For one thing the light source looks like it's coming from the inside (the faces have a "glow" to them that looks like it's from the inside). But more importantly, I would guess it's far too difficult to externally project onto figures with this sort of range of motion. The head moves so much that they likely would never be able to properly synchronize the projected image to the surface, even if they did manage it somehow (which I doubt) it would be a maintenance nightmare to keep the projector and AA moving in perfect synchronization for the effect to work properly.

Internal projections have no such problem as the projection is built into the figure and moves perfectly in sync with the head. They've already used internal projections in other AA figures so that's probably what they're using here (I think I heard Leota in Haunted Mansion uses internal projection).

Last edited:

MerlinTheGoat

Popcorn at the ready waiting to see how these will be spun as anything but extremely impressive. Wonder if "worse than carousel of progress" will make another appearance.
Doc is the one figure I would accept an argument as on par with Carousel of Progress in terms of articulation to his body. It's debatable depending on what aspect you're looking at, Doc appears to be capable of less motion than the Father but he does seem to have an edge in terms of fluidity of the movement he IS capable of due to superior AA tech developed since then (though we'll see how long that lasts after the ride has been operating for a while). The rest are less articulated to various degrees and technically worse in some ways compared to CoP. There are the secondary figures such as Grumpy, Sneezy, Happy and Bashful which are equivalent to some of the secondary AA's in classic E Tickets (such as the secondary non-centerpiece Pirates in POTC like the one dunking the mayor in the well). And then there's the even simpler figures like Dopey and Sleepy bringing up the rear that have a relatively limited range of motion, the motion is mostly just in the head. It'll be interesting to see whether the cottage figures are as good or better than Doc though (I would probably expect Snow White to be good at least).

The motion they DO have however is quite smooth and rather natural, which is one thing that Disney has generally improved with their newer AA figures. When they work that is, we'll have to see how they hold up after a year or two under less than competent management. But at the moment i'm more concerned about the projected faces holding up than the movement, WDW has a horrible track record with maintaining projections and fixing them in a timely manner.

I have no issues with the figures whatsoever. They are very good looking and considerably better than earlier versions of the figures showed us. The real problems are elsewhere in the ride.

What's interesting to me is, I saw at least two animal animatronics in the video that also looked impressive. I wonder just how many total animatronics with this level of detail there will be? I'm impressed that they spent the time and money on the smaller characters as well. There are already 7 dwarfs, I would have thought they would have stopped there, but it looks like this will be a truly an immersive experience, like being in an animated movie. A really short immersive experience, yes. But they are still cramming a lot of detail into a really short ride.
I still say E ticket!
It's not as difficult to create a nice looking AA figure when it's smaller in size, which is why the animals can look that good without much effort. It's why some of the better looking Mermaid AA's are small. Despite the larger figures such as Ursula and Ariel having far more motion to them.

Last edited:

MerlinTheGoat

Are we thinking that all 7 dwarfs will have figures? I also saw what looked like a cat as well.
We have now seen all 7 dwarf figures with this new video:

Doc- sitting at a desk weighing gems
Happy- one of the dwarfs swinging a pickaxe
Dopey- sitting in a cart with gems in his eyes
Sneezy- balancing some stacked buckets of gems (reminds me of the hat pirate in POTC)
Bashful- one with a pickaxe
Sleepy- sleeping on some sort of gem platform with a skunk sitting on him
Grumpy- pulling a rope (reminds me of the pirate dunking the mayor in the well in POTC)

There's likely to be a number of animal figures as well, though simpler in motion than the dwarf figures. We've seen a skunk (which may be a part of Sleepy's figure actually) and a cat as you said. There's probably going to be at least a deer based on the teases so far along with some other small woodland critters. And i'm guessing we'll see at least Snow White in the cottage with some or all of the dwarfs (probably different figures).

doctornick

There's likely to be a number of animal figures as well, though simpler in motion than the dwarf figures. We've seen a skunk (which may be a part of Sleepy's figure actually) and a cat as you said. There's probably going to be at least a deer based on the teases so far along with some other small woodland critters. And i'm guessing we'll see at least Snow White in the cottage with some or all of the dwarfs (probably different figures).

I'm guessing that one figure in the cottage would be representing Dopey on the shoulders of another dwarf dancing.

MerlinTheGoat

The ride video posted some months ago shows what to expect of the animals, this was a comparison video of the CGI approximation and the real thing (you can see some of the show elements were covered in plastic bags either to protect from wear or to hide them from camera view, some of these are undoubtedly going to be the animal figures).

I'm guessing that one figure in the cottage would be representing Dopey on the shoulders of another dwarf dancing.
Probably, that's a rather iconic scene and I think there was a piece of concept art showing the train going past the window of the cottage with the dancing scene (i'm trying to find it now).

EDIT- here's a piece of concept art for the cottage scene-
DSC04446.jpg

Last edited:

Kman101

The Snow White figure will HAVE to have some movement. She's supposed to be dancing! LOL. I figure they only have the few show scenes they do because of the animatronics involved. I have hope the cottage scene will be impressive as well. But it's definitely being kept under wraps for some reason.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom