7-9-07: Wand Removal Begins

BuzzComplexCM

Original Poster
Hopefully this will be the last wand thread to be started, who am I kidding?

By now we all know that the Wand removal begins tomorrow. Whether you loved it, liked it, hated it, or didn't care, it's time to begin our goodbyes to the wand. Share your thoughts about the process; anyone think they can get some pictures up of the process as it happens? That would be great!

Let's keep this thread as nice as possible, please!

WeLComeHomE OKW

Well, i know that tonight i will be heading down to EPCOT to try and be one of the last guests ever to ride the current version of Spaceship Earth. Since i hold the record for the longest consistent riding of Spaceship Earth, i feel like it is appropriate that i be one of the last to ride this version.

But, speaking of the wand, i remember its first year and how i really didnt care about it being there cuz i knew it was temporary. Every year i went back i got more and more confused why it was still there until i started visiting this site.

I never absolutely hated it, but i always thought (thematically) it never belonged in EPCOT. It was a gimmick to try and make sure guests knew EPCOT was a disney world park and nto some random World's Fair spin off. But, hopefully, now that EPCOT is the third most visited theme park in the world...i think ppl have a fair idea that it is apart of disney. I am just happy that Spaceship Earth is getting the recognition it deserves and as much as i love the current ride, i think it will be refreshing to experience something new. Since siemens gave it so much money, i cant even imagine how different it will be by the time this thing is open.

I will miss the current score and narration over everything else.

Foolish Mortal

By now we all know that the Wand removal begins tomorrow. Whether you loved it, liked it, hated it, or didn't care, it's time to begin our goodbyes to the wand

Thought about flying down to Epcot today for the wands last night but same day air out of Philly is just a bit pricey. If Air Tran or Southwest would've still had $39-$89 fares I would've done it. I must be insane.

goodolgm

Here's my final thoughts on both, and I'm done with the topic altogether.

The Wand: I am a Disney park traditionalist, and while I like seeing change/renovations to the parks to keep it fresh with the original vision still intact (i.e. Pirates of the Caribbean refurb), I see no purpose in the initial construction of the wand. I don't have any "original" hatred toward it, but share the sentiments it took the sole 'weenie' of EPCOT and just crapped all over it. SSE was majestic in itself and seemed even moreso in its perspective as you walked closer to it, but just seemed half the original size when the Wand was built. Made the original idea behind SSE's design almost meaningless. Everyone knows that's EPCOT; we didn't need a huge billboard advertising it. The wand just seemed out of place, and if it lasted only one year, I'd have no problem...but it just became more of an eyesore as time went by. I'm glad to see it go, but won't say it's the best thing that's EVER happened.

The Attraction: I've always had an appeal to Spaceship Earth. My first vacation to WDW was in 1987, when i was four years old. I only remember two things from that trip: The Haunted Mansion stretch room and the top of SSE and the dramatic music (which, 19 years later I learned was 'Tomorrow's Child'). Every trip we've ever made to EPCOT, I insisted my family ride it. It bored them, but fascinated me. I'll always have an attachment to this attraction and have very high expectations going into this rehab that it will remain close to the original (at least the first half, up to the top), and that the second half will remain, again, true to the original vision of the attraction. I, too, will miss the current narration and score and thought they were brilliant. Still, I have not yet been disappointed with SSE EVER (except the lengthy absence of a postshow), and pray I won't be disappointed in November when it reopens. I can't wait.

Thank you very much, SSE, for years of enjoyment thus far, and I can't wait to see what the future brings.

"Tomorrow's Child...for the future world is born today"

"We now have the ability -- and the responsibility -- to build new bridges of acceptance and cooperation between us. To create a better world for ourselves and our children, as we continue our amazing journey aboard Spaceship Earth..."

tirian

If you want pictures, don't worry.

I'm sure that Mousermerf will maintain his excellent track record!

:D

(I'll be out of town Monday, so I'm counting on you, Merf!)

Zummi Gummi

Pioneering the Universe Within!
I think some forum members should show up tomorrow and throw confetti as the deconstruction begins!:sohappy:

WeLComeHomE OKW

im gonna try and grab some pictures but

a)im no good at posting them

b)idk if my camera is charged

merf! we're lookin at you!

im gonna try and ride it 3-4 times tonight. starting around 530 or 6. anyone wanna join me? im leaving pretty soon.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
im gonna try and grab some pictures but

a)im no good at posting them

b)idk if my camera is charged

merf! we're lookin at you!

im gonna try and ride it 3-4 times tonight. starting around 530 or 6. anyone wanna join me? im leaving pretty soon.

I'll be more than happy to send you a copy of my P.P.P. (Posting Pictures Primer)

Expo_Seeker40

As for the wand, yes for the mellenium celebration, it was an "interesting" way to dress up SSE....just like with the castle cake and gold castle decorations...unfortunately, various fanancial issues prevented the wand from being taken down with two years after it was built...and it stayed...and stayed and stayed...and that's when I began to get annoyed with it. Now that it is coming down, SSE will return to be the way it was designed and meant to be showcased....without some monstrosity next to it.

As far as the attraction goes, the original version was very scientific, and had quite a bland ending. The second verison was the famous walter cronkite version with the tomorrow's child ending, yet while the third version, the 1994 jeremy irons version had a great musical score, and narration, it too had a bland and too generic ending.

I have my faith that Seimens will give us a ride, that is both refreshend, and yet somehow gives us a nod to the past, while also helping us move forward. I feel the Project Tomorrow exhibit has been successful so far, and I can't wait to see what they do with the ride.

WeLComeHomE OKW

I'll be more than happy to send you a copy of my P.P.P. (Posting Pictures Primer)

that would be great!

also, im charging my camera now so that i can get some great final shots and maybe even a final movie of the ride itself in. we will see...

the last ride will be sad...im not gonna lie.

cmatt

bye wand - least some of us liked you :p

bye bye jeremy irons - not so sad - but that was his finest voice acting role :p

ask!

How unattractive will the deconstruction look?

I do so hope someone will post pictures....I am curious to know how unattractive the deconstruction will appear. We are leaving in 29 days (yeah!) but I feel a little sad because we will not be able to ride SSE or HM (both Disney classics) and I am imaging an eyesore where an icon should be!

It's our first trip in 11 years and for my kids, their first trip with a functional memory. I know that in the big picture, there is still much beauty, magic, classic attractions and iconic structures.....for me, it helps to be mentally prepared so I think pictures will be very helpful and I would greatly appreciate them.

thanks in advance,
Andrea

jiminy.cricket

I'm so vicariously excited through this board!!! :D I hope everything goes smoothly and safely. I guess one positive aspect of the wand is that it alerted planes and it provided a nice little doohickey for our pictures. At least non-Disney fans knew where we took the picture.

Epcotian

"We now have the ability -- and the responsibility -- to build new bridges of acceptance and cooperation between us. To create a better world for ourselves and our children, as we continue our amazing journey aboard Spaceship Earth..."

That line is more true now than ever before.

I first visited WDW in June 1988, one month after graduating from college. We had only 1 day in Orlando and chose to visit Epcot. I fell in love with Disney on that single day. I had never before and have never since visited a place that was more optimistic about our future. When dark things happen (Murrah building bombing, close enough that my wife heard the blast, 9/11, etc), the message and vision of Spaceship Earth renews my hope. Pretty sugary, I know, but it's the truth.

Farewell, current version! Can't wait to see what's in store for us with version 4!

BuzzComplexCM

Original Poster
I guess it's only fair that I share my feelings about the Wand, SSE, and Epcot.

Wand: I remember seeing it for the first time in May 2000. I had commented to my sister that I thought it was a nice touch for the celebration and she pretty much felt neutral. Now mind you when I lived in NJ my family and I would go to WDW yearly, at least twice a year if not more. So as we returned after the Millenium and I saw the new Epcot wand, I was a little thrown off but by no means upset. I was lucky enough to SSE both ways, naked and dressed. I will admit that the lighting scheme on the "naked" SSE is way better and it gives it that feeling of retro Epcot which hopefully return. I am by no means a guest who feels that taking down the wand will bring back the old Epcot. I am not expecting a rebirth of Horizons, WoM, Journey, and WoL. But if it's something as simple as a new light scheme on SSE, I will be happy with that.

SSE: When Siemens took over sponsorship for SSE I was happy. It made me happy to think that there will finally be an occupied post show area witht he latest gadgets and doo-dads that the future holds in store for us. I always liked that about SSE. I always liked to see these out-of-this-world gadgets that you thought could never be possible and that is something Epcot has been lacking since SSE lost their post ride area and since WoM left as well. I was also expecting a rehab of SSE and I am happy to know that they will spruce it up a bit. Will I be sad to not hear Jeremy anymore? Of course. Am I going to miss the soundtrack? Without question. But as someone had said earlier, I have never been unhappy with what has been done to SSE and I don't see this being the case with this rehab.

Epcot: I love Epcot, I always have and I always will. By far Epcot is my favorite park to spend a day at. When I lived in Kissimmee I would go to Epcot on my off days and it would be the first park I took visiting friends to. And when I turned 21 in 2002, forget it! I really loved Epcot!!! :lol: Whatever they do to Future World will be. I always liked Epcot better for the countires anyway. This is not say that I dislike Future World, but the countires always appealed to me, especially as I got older and I didn't care if I went on rides. Epcot is one of those parks where you can do nothing in it and still have a great time. One can spend 12 hours there, not go on any rides or see any shows and still feel like they had a great day. I love the fact that when I go to Epcot I am free to walk around with a glass of wine from France or a beer from Germany and just take in the sights and sounds. As long as that aspect of Epcot never changes, I will always love Epcot! :sohappy:

RnRJoe6114

I don't think the deconstruction of the wand and its supporting structure will be that "messy" or unattractive except for maybe a crane sitting off to the side. Is anyone else wondering why it'll take over two months to take down though? It seemed like such a basic stucture of steel beams holding up the hand which only seemed like painted quarter inch steel. And then the letters and stars but those don't even seem like they would take very long.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
I don't think the deconstruction of the wand and its supporting structure will be that "messy" or unattractive except for maybe a crane sitting off to the side. Is anyone else wondering why it'll take over two months to take down though? It seemed like such a basic stucture of steel beams holding up the hand which only seemed like painted quarter inch steel. And then the letters and stars but those don't even seem like they would take very long.

Perhaps it's like a government or military spending thing. You know where a nickle bolt is contracted out for a $1,000.00.:shrug:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom