MickeyTigg

Mike...

Ohana's has always had a character breakfast for as long as I remember. The character changes are for the breakfast. The other meals at Ohana's are 'character free'.

Personally, after Lilo & Stich came out I've always wondered why they weren't at this breakfast. I will miss Goofy and Chip & Dale though.

Hey...we have the same number of posts right now....123!

How cool is that!

K-dub

Mike, Here's a quote from a recent visitor's thread regarding their experience @ Ohana. The full thread is linked below the quote.

Laura22 said:
SIT DOWN MEALS - 'Ohana's dinner setup has definitely taken a turn for the worse. Even though I just eat kid's meals there, I still noticed a huge difference in how they served the food to everyone else at the table from when I was there a few months ago. Instead of a big turntable of different things, they just bring a couple small bowls of stuff. If I remember right there was a bowl of some kind of fried fish and another dish of veggies and a couple dipping sauces, which was pretty pathetic. Then they took FOREVER to bring out the meat. Probably at least 20-30 minutes between each skewer, where a few months ago they were bombarding the tables with skewer refills. Our server was almost non-existant throughout the meal, and we almost missed the fireworks waiting a hundred years for her to appear after we finished eating. I still loved the atmosphere and will probably eat there again, but it was definitely not the 'Ohana from a few months back.

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/showthread.php?t=63691

K-dub

No Problem Laura!:wave:

BTW, I really enjoyed your trip report and have pointed several folx to it since reading it.

We're headed off for another 15 nights @ WL the end of this month ourselves.:sohappy:

CTXRover

Lunch and dinner are still character free.

The menu on All Ears is the new menu currently being served. I have heard from 2 close friends who ate there recently who have said that despite their skepticism of the new menu that they actually left thinking the changes were for the better. I have also read several reviews at another site (shhh) that also gave the new menu a thumbs up.

The big changes are that the shrimp are no longer served on skewers but rather as an appetizer in a sweet and sour pineapple sauce. Its still all you can eat, just served a bit differently. They have replaced the shrimp dinner skewer with sausage, an old favorite that was taken away some time ago. The rice has now been changed to a cheesy potato dish that I've heard nothing but good things about. My one friend insists that this is actually his favorite part of the meal now. The biggest change for me is that the dessert is no longer pineapple with caramel sauce (my personal favorite reason to go to Ohana's) but instead a pineapple bread pudding served a la mode which is also apparently amazingly good. Dinner is still served all you can eat, family style, but they have opened up the table a bit and removed the center turn tables. I always thought they were a good idea, but oh well.

My parents will be eating there this weekend and if I rememeber this thread, I'll post a review of what they think. Ohana's was their favorite restaurant as DW, but they've promised to keep an open mind about the changes.

kaylasmom

Personally, my family did not like the changes at Ohana AT ALL. We used to bring the entire family to Ohana for Christmas dinner, but we have cancelled our reservation this year.

They no longer serve the amazing coconut bread... very sad.

I did not find anything even remotely cheesy about the potatoes. In fact, I think our server said they were called "Maui" potatoes, consisting of potatoes, onions, and some spices. If they were meant to be cheesy, they certainly weren't when I went. We loved the old fried rice, but did not care for the potatoes at all. What is "polynesian" about potatoes and onions????

The yummy green beans have been removed and replaced with "steamed" (more like boiled) broccoli, cauliflower, and carrots, might have been some snow pea pods in there too. It's very similar to the "California Mix" that you find in the frozen food section of your grocery store. Not very tasty at all.

They took away the lazy susan with all the yummy starters, and now bring out the side dishes in separate bowls which I found made the table incredibly cluttered. Our server indicated that they were getting rid of the delicious shrimp wontons, and replacing them with wonton strips. They were mixed together in the bowl the night we went, and the strips weren't bad, just not as good as the other.

I did not care for the sausage, but then again, I'm really picky about sausage in general. The steak, pork, and turkey were still delicious, but I sorely missed the grilled shrimp skewers!!!

I missed the pineapple and caramel, but must admit that the bread pudding with bananas foster sauce and ice cream was absolutely delicious!!!! Oh, and they don't give you the warm towel to clean up with afterwards either.

Even our servers expressed their dismay with the new style of serving and the food changes. I actually called and spoke with a member of the chef staff after expressing my opinion that I did not think the changes were for the better. The manager that I spoke with said they have had a lot of complaints from many regulars, but that they were trying to improve service and to vary the menu. (I initially left a message on a voicemail, but the manager in the chef's office actually called back)

Basically, had I never been to Ohana prior to the changes, I probably would have not had a bad word one to say about it. However, since my hubby and I ate there once a month on average prior to the changes, we are not happy with the new stuff at all. And we will probably start going back to Boma more often now.

But if you have never been there, you'll probably love it.

wannabeBelle

I went last week and my service was OK, nt any problem there. I was totally not into the Wonton chips. They are no where near as good as the shrimp/veggie wontons. While I liked the potatoes ( I dig a good spud) I certainly didnt feel there wa anything polynesian about them. I enjoyed the shrimps a lot and I didnt find then as spicy and the skewers which for me is a good thing but I didnt like most of the otehr stuff that was served. No more O'hanas for me!!!! Belle

CTXRover

kaylasmom said:

Darn! I loved that bread. Do they serve something in place of it or is there no more bread at all?

I'm still skeptical of the changes...mainly because I loved the original Ohana's menu. I'm all for change at Disney even if it isn't for my personal benefit, as long as it is for the better for the masses. Hopefully the new menu will be a big hit with most guests and hopefully I will like the new menu when I return there. If not, I'll let them know. If there are enough warranted complaints, they will make changes.

JimboJones123

Originally Posted by kaylasmom

--- does the breakfast pineapple bread still exist????

the coconut bread is still served at spirit of aloha -- well ast least last month it was...

Laura

Premium Member
kaylasmom said:
Oh, and they don't give you the warm towel to clean up with afterwards either.

We still got the warm towels on 9/29/05. Maybe your server just forgot?

But if you have never been there, you'll probably love it.

That's right, if you have nothing to compare it to it's still a great place. My husband said it was his favorite - he LOVED the steak.

swimmom

Removing the shrimp from the grill may have been due to shellfish allergies. It's probably safer for those who are highly allergic to have the shrimp off the grill where it could come in contact with the meats.

JimboJones123

swimmom said:
Removing the shrimp from the grill may have been due to shellfish allergies. It's probably safer for those who are highly allergic to have the shrimp off the grill where it could come in contact with the meats.

while i agree that this is probably a smart decision, and i hate shrimp anyways (mongolian bbq freaks me out with fishies and shrimpies on everything YUK!), COME ON, YOUR DISNEY -- BUY ANOTHER GRILL- it could be paid for by using one sitting of breakfast. Clearly people are acustomed to a certian meal when going. I know they took the sliced beef off the menu at Flame Tree BBQ and we decided on the last trip that AK wasn't even worth going to because of it.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Wow! I can't beleive that they got rid of the bread. I can deal with the other changes but not the bread! I hope that they bring it back soon. Do they still have the BBQ wings?

:veryconfu

wdwnj

just came back from the world last week, had breakfast at ohana's was great, they knew we were celebrating our 12 yr anniv. early (married 12/4/93) but they gave us lais and mickey and stitch stopped by for some photos. food was good, they start with some pineapple bread, and fresh fruit on table (family style) and then they bring out eggs, sauage, bacon, mickey shaped waffles, and potatoes, coffee,jiuce,milk etc had no problems--i was just happy to be there--best hotel on property is poly. hands down !!!!

IwishIliveinWDW

I ate there twice during my trip last week. The wife did not like the removal of the shrimp, but it went unoticed for the most part. I still enjoyed it. Yes the wings are still there and the atmosphere is still the same, but whoever mentioned the skewers being slower was correct too. Be sure not to fill yourself up too much as that Bread Pudding is awesome.

And there is nothing wrong with the character breakfast. I thought there food was better than the skillet at Whispering Canyon's for once.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom