Who stole the idea Disney, or Wildwood?

mitchk

Original Poster
When I was at Disney in Oct of 2004 I bought a book "The Haunted Mansion: From the Magic Kingdom to the Movies" On page 22 there was a picture of a sign that was hung outside of the then empty Haunted Mansion in 1963 in Disneyland. The sign said "Notice All Ghosts and restless sprits. Post lifetime leases are now available in this Haunted Mansion............." and at the end it said "Do not apply in person" Now, I was looking at pictures of a ride named the Wacky Shack, that was on Hunts pier in Wildwood, NJ, and there was a picture of a sign that read the same post lifetime leases stuff, but it was at the Wacky Shack. I immediately thought Wildwood stole the idea from Disneyland, especially because it said the Wacky Shack was built in 63, but then I went on a site that said Wacky Shack was built in the winter of 62.
Heres the links

http://www.funchase.com/Images/WhackyShack/WhackyShack.htm

and

http://www.angelfire.com/nj/wwbysea/HUNT/HP.html

The first link, go almost all the way down the page, and on the right is a picture of the sign. The second link, go down to Wacky Shack, and it says it was done in 1962. The only reason it really made me think is because I heard Disney went to the Jersey shore to get ideas for the Disney Boardwalk, and I heard Disney got the idea for AKs Dino-rama from Wildwoods Wild Mouse spinning coaster. Any thoughts?:lookaroun

Tigger1988

But Disney didn't research for the Boardwalk until the 90s...so how would they have stolen the idea?...Its possible...but I don't really know.

Lunamis

I was at Wildwood last weekend. It's a couple hours from my house. Wacky Shack was before my time but Wildwood did steal something from Disney. They had a cheesey Haunted boatride on Mariner's Landing pier and it went under renovation a couple summers ago. It is now called "Pirates of the Wildwoods" the Wildwood part of the sign is designed so that it looks as if a plank with "Wildwood" on it is covering the "Caribbean" part. In addition they even use the instrumental version of the Pirates song!

See here:
http://www.moreyspiers.com/images/ride_images/Pirates front.jpg
copyrights of morey' piers.

SirGoofy

Lunamis said:
I was at Wildwood last weekend. It's a couple hours from my house. Wacky Shack was before my time but Wildwood did steal something from Disney. They had a cheesey Haunted boatride on Mariner's Landing pier and it went under renovation a couple summers ago. It is now called "Pirates of the Wildwoods" the Wildwood part of the sign is designed so that it looks as if a plank with "Wildwood" on it is covering the "Caribbean" part. In addition they even use the instrumental version of the Pirates song!

See here:
http://www.moreyspiers.com/images/ride_images/Pirates front.jpg
copyrights of morey' piers.

Yup, I laugh at that every summer.

P.S. Disney didn't steal the Wild Mouse coaster from Morey's. That one didn't spin and it closed waaaayyy before Dinorama.

Lunamis

Wild Mouse coasters are all over. There's another one at Hershey Park and South of the Boarder's meager ride area. I rememeber another spinning Wild Mouse coaster before Disney's but I can't remember at what amusement park it was.

Bluewaves

The wild Mouse coaster is a generic cheap coaster that has been sold to tons of different parks over the whole world. Even though Disney's is the only one to spin.

Lunamis

SirGoofy said:
Yup, I laugh at that every summer.

P.S. Disney didn't steal the Wild Mouse coaster from Morey's. That one didn't spin and it closed waaaayyy before Dinorama.

The Wild Mouse didn't close...It's now called the Doo Wooper (keeping with Wildwood's 50s theme) and on Morey's Pier, the one with the Nor Easter coaster.

mitchk

Original Poster
Lunamis said:
I was at Wildwood last weekend. It's a couple hours from my house. Wacky Shack was before my time but Wildwood did steal something from Disney. They had a cheesey Haunted boatride on Mariner's Landing pier and it went under renovation a couple summers ago. It is now called "Pirates of the Wildwoods" the Wildwood part of the sign is designed so that it looks as if a plank with "Wildwood" on it is covering the "Caribbean" part. In addition they even use the instrumental version of the Pirates

I could not believe they did that, Pirates of Wildwood, give me a break. Anyway that ride sucks, 3D, don't make me:lol:

Lunamis

Ah...I remember Dinosaur Beach. Good pier! They had a nice rapid ride and the Dinosaur ride was fairly well-themed. Too bad that pier is just rotting...I wonder what became of those dinosaurs in the ride.

Lunamis

mitchk said:
I could not believe they did that, Pirates of Wildwood, give me a break. Anyway that ride sucks, 3D, don't make me:lol:

It's better than the previous "Dark River" now that was terrible.

Captain Chaos

Lunamis said:
Ah...I remember Dinosaur Beach. Good pier! They had a nice rapid ride and the Dinosaur ride was fairly well-themed. Too bad that pier is just rotting...I wonder what became of those dinosaurs in the ride.

They went to Dino Heaven in the Sky

cj2me

I lived in Jersey my whole life and just went to Wildwood the first time this summer. I saw that Pirates ride and also laughed at the Peter Pan's Flight style ships that fly around.

CoffeeJedi

on (i believe) Dinosaur Pier, there's a big square building themed to look like a BTMRR style "desert" (at least it was there a few summers ago). you can even see the track emerge from the "mountain" in a few places. was this the dinosaur ride? what was it like?

also, any details on the PotC ripoff ride? is it better than that pirate light-gun ride on the boardwalk? how blatantly does it rip off PotC?

browniebee

I went to Wildwood Crest last weekend for the day to just go to the beach and then we ate at my favorite restaurant, Duffinetti's. Haven't been to the boardwalk in Wildwood in a couple of years though.

Discmen

There is also a spinning mouse coaster at the Steel Pier in Atlantic City. It has been around longer than the one at Disney, and it spins. It is actually very similar in terms of the number of hairpin turns, and is actually scarier because the turns are at the edge of the pier, way high over the ocean. There is also a new mouse coaster at Six Flags New England that spins, but is not nearly as scary because of the lack of carreening towards the edge hairpins.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom