Who stole the idea Disney, or Wildwood?

CoffeeJedi

MeTa said:
Quite frankly....who gives a rats (no pun intended towards mickey) behind? :wave:

its not that we care so much, its just that alot of people on the boards are fans of the theme/amusement park industry and history, a lot of that history is tied up in boardwalks and county fairs and Laff in the Dark/Pop-n-Boo rides.

I think there's also a morbid fascination with things like this "Pirates of Wildwood" that aim high, but miss the mark by so much. If i ever get to Wildwood again (unlikely) i'd love to ride it just to see what its like. To the original poster, did you ride it? How bad is it?

mitchk

Original Poster
CoffeeJedi said:
on (i believe) Dinosaur Pier, there's a big square building themed to look like a BTMRR style "desert" (at least it was there a few summers ago). you can even see the track emerge from the "mountain" in a few places. was this the dinosaur ride? what was it like?

also, any details on the PotC ripoff ride? is it better than that pirate light-gun ride on the boardwalk? how blatantly does it rip off PotC?

That desert looking ride was the Golden Nugget mine ride, built in 1960, it was a great ride, belive it or not, and there are talks to relocate it to another pier.

mitchk

Original Poster
Discmen said:
There is also a spinning mouse coaster at the Steel Pier in Atlantic City. It has been around longer than the one at Disney, and it spins. It is actually very similar in terms of the number of hairpin turns, and is actually scarier because the turns are at the edge of the pier, way high over the ocean. There is also a new mouse coaster at Six Flags New England that spins, but is not nearly as scary because of the lack of carreening towards the edge hairpins.

That is the coaster that used to be in Wildwood on the Dinosaur beach pier. When the pier closed it was relocated to Atlantic City, along with a few other rides from the pier. Coffeejedi, yes I have been on the Pirates of Wildwood many times........it's really just a waste of time. It's just a bunch of cardboard cutouts with some bright paint to make it look 3D.

browniebee

Probably the newer attractions in Wildwood are based on Disney because the opening of Disney World and its growing popularity is considered the reason Wildwood's tourism is declining. Apparantly before Disney opened, Wildwood was considered one of the best vacation spots. In terms of beaches, I still think Wildwood Crest is the best. Personally, overall, I prefer Disney. Disney researched Wildwood in preparation for the Boardwalk resort, so some of whats at the Boardwalk is copied from Wildwood, I guess.

Woody13

CoffeeJedi said:
its not that we care so much, its just that alot of people on the boards are fans of the theme/amusement park industry and history, a lot of that history is tied up in boardwalks and county fairs and Laff in the Dark/Pop-n-Boo rides.

I think there's also a morbid fascination with things like this "Pirates of Wildwood" that aim high, but miss the mark by so much. If i ever get to Wildwood again (unlikely) i'd love to ride it just to see what its like. To the original poster, did you ride it? How bad is it?
Good answer! I like the way you think.

Madison said:
Here's a list of every Reverchon Spinning Coaster built to date.

http://www.rcdb.com/installationresult.htm?column=1,10,3,4,5&order=1,2&model=5

These are turn-key rides and save for decoration, are the same in every way.
Great research! Thank you for the information.

Lunamis

mitchk said:
You speak the truth my sister. How about the Jersey Junkyard.. classic:brick:

That Jersey Junkyard is the BEST ride ever :brick:
A waste of a minute...but i always go on it when I get a wristband :eek:
At least Dante's Dungeon had some live actors when I went on last time.

The Golden Nugget ride was working when Dinosaur Beach had it. There were even some little dinosuars in it.

I know everyone is bashing Pirates of the Wildwoods but come on...that still took alot of time and effort to put together. This isn't Disney so we cant expect anything near that. I think they did a good job on it.

mitchk

Original Poster
Thanks for all the posts. I enjoyed reading them. If anyone is interested in Wildwoods history of attractions check out these two links.

http://www.angelfire.com/nj/wwbysea/RIGHT.html
go to the bottom of the page (piers of the past)

http://www.funchase.com/Piers.htm

Hunts pier was different from all of the other piers. My mom, and aunt still go on, and on about the old Hunts pier in Wildwood. The rides were not your typical carnival rides, they were actual attractions. Lunamis, I remember Dinosaur Beach very well. The nugget was not the same anymore (it just didn't feel right with Dinosaurs in it), but "escape from dinosaur beach" was not that bad. It was built by the Sally company (the same company that built Den of lost thieves). All right, I don't mean to ramble on, but I think anyone who is a fan of darkrides, should know about the legendary Hunts Pier in Wildwood, NJ

mitchk

Original Poster
why would a pirate skeleton drive a dump truck.........?[/QUOTE]

Coffeejedi,

He was driving a Tram Car "watch the tram car please." Jersey folks know what I am talking about;)

CoffeeJedi

mitchk said:
He was driving a Tram Car "watch the tram car please." Jersey folks know what I am talking about;)
oooooooooooooooooooh! lol i get it

so, after looking at the pics, the idea is that the pirates have taken over and are ransacking the boardwalk, hehe, ok, that's kinda clever i admit

that_L_do_pig

wow the only thing I know about pier history is from riding the Texas Cyclone at Astroworld in Houston, Texas. These links were all very interesting reading thanks.

Also, I learned in urban planning classes many years ago that the piers were built at the end of the trolley lines to drive trolley utilization on the weekends and create demand for electricity.

mitchk

Original Poster
on (i believe) Dinosaur Pier, there's a big square building themed to look like a BTMRR style "desert" (at least it was there a few summers ago). you can even see the track emerge from the "mountain" in a few places. was this the dinosaur ride? what was it like?

also, any details on the PotC ripoff ride? is it better than that pirate light-gun ride on the boardwalk? how blatantly does it rip off PotC?
No, it was a ride called the golden nugget mine ride

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom