Please explain the Tiki Room

Edeyore

Original Poster
I have been to WDW only 6 times, and though we waited in line once, we
have never been to the Tiki Room. Could someone give me an idea of what
the attraction entails? I am interested, and want to know if it is worth making
a conscious decision not to miss it next time.

Erika

WED1971

This was the "first" audio-animitronics show that opened at Disneyland in 1963. It is presented in an "in the round" setting with interactive animitronic elements from overhead and surrounding the theatre (the birds, of course...)

this show has been changed from the Disneyland original, though - the Florida version (Enchanted Tiki Room - Under New Management) is an updated version of the original - more contemporized with Iago (from Aladdin) and Zazu (from Lion King) as interruptive hosts (they literally steal the show...)

This is a WONDERFUL show, IMO, and should not be missed. It is as charming and magical as the park itself - RUN don't walk...:D

Android-XS

If you have never seen the show I would recommend watching it at least once. Although it is "Under New Management" it is still a fun show and a cool place to relax and get out of the sun. The viewing area is a round room with log benches, for seats, all pointing towards the center. There are birds hanging all around the ceiling, but also in little nooks and some hidden places reviled through the show. When the birds are singing make sure to look all around, most of the things in the room come alive during different times in the show. I would have to say the show is probably 10-15 minutes long and is differently kid safe. My wife and I always make it one of our things to see while at the MK.

General Grizz

As Walt explored the realms of theme parks and film after his creating his successful animated classics, he became more and more fascinated with blurring the line between fantasy and reality. Mesmerized by a mechanical song bird he found on vacation, Walt toyed with the idea of making animals and people - fictional and nonfictional - come to life. And Disneyland was the perfect place to do this.

In 1955, mechanical animals made their debut in the Jungle Cruise. But even more complex where the bears and other characters to appear in Disneyland's Nature's Wonderland mine train ride (eventually converted into a popular runaway train ride). But these were only stepping stones into an idea that both he and his Imagineers would work on for years.

It would be a restaurant in Adventureland - where an ancient master would tell his tales of wonder and enchantment. Such a figure would be too complex for its time, so Walt took his inspiration (the mechanical bird) and found that an enchanted aviary of singing birds could be a delight to eat under. Right? ;)

The show eventually progressed to become an Enchanted Tiki Room. The studio was mocked up with a bunch of singing birds, who crooned to "Let's All Sing Like the Birdies Sing" and "Barcarole," a song from Jacques Offenbach's opera, "Tales of Hoffman."

The little show finished, and the Imagineers looked at Walt. "That's it?"

The Tiki Room didn't have a story. So Walt brought in the Sherman Brothers (who were writing for Mary Poppins at the time) to create an introductory song we know know as "In the Tiki Tiki Tiki Room."

He then brought on the Golden Horseshoe's WALLY BOAG (traveling Salesman who went on to do over 50,000 shows) and FULTON BURLEY (Irish tenor) to write a script for four hosts: JOSE, PIERRE, FRITZ, and MICHAEL. The script included gags - "You stay off of my bach and I'll stay off of your bach" or "No one laid an egg but me" - and Boag went on to play Jose, the Master of Ceremonies, along with his cousin, a barker bird who greeted guests outside of the Enchanted Tiki Room. Burley went on to voice Michael.

The original show became a smash hit. It's the only attraction that I know of where Walt Disney invested his PERSONAL money. It was a tropical serenade that was eventually duplicated in Walt Disney World, featuring "wondrous song and joyous miracles."

Over time, the show began to age. A two piece song - Offenbach - consisted merely of a dancing fountain. Serene? Yes. Charming? Okay. Boring? To most. This caused people to walk out in MASS of Walt Disney World's Tiki Room, rated a boring attraction. At Disneyland, the 17 minute show was cut down to 14-15, omitting the long songs. They were never eliminated in Florida, so Disney set in showman KEVIN RAFFERTY to rewrite and retool the Tiki Room after an idea to replace ours with an ALADDIN ARCADE was shot down.

The new show runs 9 minutes (11 if you stay in the theater till the next show starts) and attempts to downplay the original, thanks to host IAGO. Zazu is on hand to warn him that he cannot toy with the Tiki Room.

So the new show is essentially the story of Iago being burnt by a kick-butt audio-animatronic Tiki God. Most of the original characters, including flowers and tikis, are still in place (except Rosita, who's always missed the show), and it's good if you want to take a break, enjoy air conditioning, and hear rock'n'roll, rap, and conga.

I'm not a fan of the new show as I don't think rap music belongs in the story. Iago is also pretty loud and obnoxious.

But the show has its history -- a very important one I might add -- and does provide many of its guests with something entertaining. Why not try it?

If you're into a more traditional Audio-Animatronics show, there's the one and only ORIGINAL Country Bear Jamboree right next door.

And there's always the original in that tropical paradise in Disneyland, recentlly gutted and redone and looking better than ever.

Edeyore

Original Poster
Erika said:
Simply put- it's a show with a bunch of singing audio-animatronic birds. You either love it or hate it. Uberfans of the original tend not to like this newer version.

I say it's cute, and worth seeing.

Here's a list of reviews from this site: http://reviews.wdwmagic.com//censur...79c90660161b52c2160af8d&cmd=details&itemid=50

and some more information

http://allearsnet.com/tp/mk/tiki.htm
http://www.justdisney.com/Features/Tiki_Room/

Thanks, those links definitely answered a lot of questions.
I think they could turn this "attraction" into a sit down restaurant and
still have the show. They would have twice the use for the same space.

WED1971

Edeyore said:
How is it set-up? Do you sit in seats similar to the Country Bear Jamboree
or is it done some other way?

I hope this helps - it doesn't get any more authentic than this show -- it's a true ORIGINAL!!!!!!!!!!

LUV4Goofy

It's a must see at least once in your lifetime. We have visted the Tiki Room on all of my 10 visits to WDW, going back to 1976. Whether we like it or not, it's tradition to go see it, kinda like having to go see IASM during evert WDW trip. The Tiki Room is a cute show and I personally love it. You gotta go just once!Have Fun!

Laura

Premium Member
I love Tiki Birds! It's a must see on our trips. I know some people don't like it but I think it's great and its a favorite of my kids!

Connor002

Thanks, those links definitely answered a lot of questions.
I think they could turn this "attraction" into a sit down restaurant and
still have the show. They would have twice the use for the same space.

its a good idea, but unfortunatly, if memory serves, there isn't a huge amount of space for a a table service restraunt<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

Tiki, Tiki, Tiki Roon

I would describe it as "Tropical birds on steroids"!

I saw the show for the first time when I was on my seventh trip to WDW (just because it was raining outside).
But I have to say I enjoyed it - though the music (birds rapping) is not really my cup of tea - and will visit it again.

DisneyBride94

Edeyore said:
I have been to WDW only 6 times, and though we waited in line once, we
have never been to the Tiki Room. Could someone give me an idea of what
the attraction entails? I am interested, and want to know if it is worth making
a conscious decision not to miss it next time.

Unless you desperately need a place to sit in air conditioning--don't waste your time...it's like being stuck in a little hut with a zillion animatronic little singing birds...it is hopelessly horrible... It's mildly better now that it has been redone then when I was a kid...but I hated it as a kid, and i have les tolerance for it as an adult... I've had to suffer through it twice is an adult--once because my husband had never seen it and wanted to do everything...and the second time because my kids wanted to go in there... Nex time someone wants to go...I'll wait outside!!!! You just sit there and the little birds sing...and there are some thunder and lightening special effects and a Tiki Goddess... actually a bit frightening for some small kids and just ridiculous from an adult stand point. Don't get me started! I like all things Disney...but this one! Nope! Two thumbs down.

MissM

We finally got around to seeing it after many years of walking past it one day. We decided to hit all those things we normally didn't. It was ok, but I didn't think it was anything great. It doesn't rank on my must-do for the day. I'd say see it once because it's worth seeing everything at least once, but...eh. It's a pass for me for more then once. It's not bad, it's just lackluster.
-m

MiRi

Being one of those who remembers the original pretty well, I saw this for the first time on my most recent trip. I have the 50th WDW CD, so I know the music from the attraction and all. I kinda knew what to expect. I liked it more than I thought I would. Go check it out. You won't be disappointed.

DisneyFreak529

I saw the new version in Disney World & I saw the old version in Disneyland. Either way once you go on it the song gets stuck in your heard and you sing it for the rest of day.

It's good to go on once and once only durning the whole trip. I'm one of those in the middle people. I respect it because it's a classic.

You have to do it once to see what it is about.

SpenceMan01

We always thought it was a restaurant, so we never went! Well, I figured out that it wasn't one, so we went for the first time on our trip last January. I thought it was cute. The Tiki's are awesome. Totally unexpected. Iago is annoying, but that's Iago for you. Make sure you wait until the VERY END... stick around while Iago's talking and everyone is exiting... he makes a funny crack at a certain Liberty Square attraction. Oh, and if you can, sit in the section immediately to your left when you enter I think you get the best view there. We were seated right under Iago, kind of disappointing.

Since1976

Animatronic shows like COP and the Tiki Room used to be all the rage, because they displayed the wonders of technology combined with entertainment. Nowadays, there are a lot of cynics who find the idea of singing, dancing, and clapping along with mindless robots kind of silly, not to mention creepy.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom