60th roofs being removed from Sleeping Beauty Castle

Phroobar

The cynic in me says you'd be surprised... Chapek cares more about upcharges and how to get money from "valued Guests" now than worrying about what comes later.
Makes me wonder what kind of maintenance cuts Chapek has ordered if he can't even keep this building in top shape. Will we be seeing another BTMRR tragic accident sometime in the near future?

Nland316

While the roofs are the main topic of this thread, I have always hoped those 2 metallic shields on the two center spires were removed! They’ve been there since the 50th!

TROR

While the roofs are the main topic of this thread, I have always hoped those 2 metallic shields on the two center spires were removed! They’ve been there since the 50th!
There's also the gold on the square turret that I believe was added for the 50th

D

Deleted member 107043

Makes me wonder what kind of maintenance cuts Chapek has ordered if he can't even keep this building in top shape. Will we be seeing another BTMRR tragic accident sometime in the near future?

Online fans talk about Disney executives as if they are personally lost in the weeds making decisions about park decorations. I'm willing to bet you 2 churros that Chapek has no clue what's currently going on with Disneyland's Castle. This is a poor reflection of the Disneyland Operations management team, not some C suite executive who has far bigger concerns to worry about.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 107043

I agree with @Dr. Hans Reinhardt. If it's really just a surface level thing, such as paint peeling, lighting, or the castle roofs, Chapek's not the guy to blame. In the event of a ride ending someone's life due to poor maintenance, such as the aforementioned Big Thunder incident, or the Monorail doors fail to close while the train is in motion, then he definitely has to take the blame as that involves guest safety.

Even then one would have to prove he was knowledgeable that systems were failing and ignored it. WDW alone has 74,000 employees, and I'm not sure how the global corporate structure of Disney P&R is set up, but with two dozen theme parks around the world, 25+ hotels, and 4 cruise ships with 3 more on the way, not to mention shops, restaurants, etc, it's clearly an extremely complex organization. We can be certain that there are many layers between Chapek and the folks making bad decisions about WDW's Monorail operations.

TROR

Even then one would have to prove he was knowledgeable that systems were failing and ignored it. WDW alone has 74,000 employees, and I'm not sure how the global corporate structure of Disney P&R is set up, but with two dozen theme parks around the world, 25+ hotels, and 4 cruise ships with 3 more on the way, not to mention shops, restaurants, etc, it's clearly an extremely complex organization. We can be certain that there are many layers between Chapek and the folks making bad decisions about WDW's Monorail operations.
The Walt Disney World Monorail has been an issue for years, with just last year part of the blue Monorail even breaking off. While it's not impossible that Chapek simply doesn't know, the fact it's been such a big problem for so long now, I simply find it hard to believe. Epecially considering he himself announced a new mode of transportation coming to WDW at last year's D23, I'd be shocked if he didn't also know about the issues with WDW's other major transportation system. Some theorize that management is allowing the Monorail to operate until the Gondolas are put up and then they will scrap the Monorail entirely, which I certainly would hope is not the case.

D

Deleted member 107043

The Walt Disney World Monorail has been an issue for years, with just last year part of the blue Monorail even breaking off. While it's not impossible that Chapek simply doesn't know, the fact it's been such a big problem for so long now, I simply find it hard to believe. Epecially considering he himself announced a new mode of transportation coming to WDW at last year's D23, I'd be shocked if he didn't also know about the issues with WDW's other major transportation system. Some theorize that management is allowing the Monorail to operate until the Gondolas are put up and then they will scrap the Monorail entirely, which I certainly would hope is not the case.

Yeah, I see your point. I don't keep close tabs on WDW, and if the Monorails have been known to be an ongoing issue then he maybe he should intervene. Then again, WDW was aware it had an alligator issue, and was fairly careless about it until a guest was killed by one, yet nothing I read about the story pointed fingers at the P&R Chairman. I question how much public blame a C level executive should take for far-flung operational issues for which they have no expertise. Seems to me that in the case of the WDW Monorails the responsibility should land in the lap of the WDW president. I don't know. 🤔

Back on topic I stand by my assertion that Chapek probably isn't aware of the current status of the roofs on DL's castle.

TROR

Yeah, I see your point. I don't keep close tabs on WDW, and if the Monorails have been known to be an ongoing issue then he maybe he should intervene. Then again, WDW was aware it had an alligator issue, and was fairly careless about it until a guest was killed by one, yet nothing I read about the story pointed fingers at the P&R Chairman. I guess I question how much public blame a C level executive should take for far-flung operational issues for which they have no expertise. Seems to me that in the case of the WDW Monorails the responsibility should land in the lap of the WDW president. I don't know. 🤔

Back on topic I stand by my assertion that Chapek probably isn't aware of the current status of the roofs on DL's castle.
Natural wildlife and bad parenting in the resort are out of the control of even Bob Iger. Making sure your attractions aren't falling apart, however, is certainly within reason for them to fix.

But yeah, unless local management has been begging for funds to fix the roofs and Chapek is just turning them down constantly, he probably isn't aware of what's going on here.

Phroobar

Sometimes I wonder how many corners are cut in maintenance when they can't even keep a roof from leaking. Could it be SFMM has better maintenance because their corporate structure is smaller and less management between the guy with the monkey wrench and the guy running the park.

BrianLo

And is it just me, or is this the most aggressive winter rehab schedule we've seen in a long time?

I feel like we hear this every year at this point. I do believe the lead up to the 60th was much worse though. Certainly the lead up to DLP's 25th even more of a gong show.

We're starting to see them utilize this period of time for regular large semi-land wide refurbs. This year Pixar Pier and Main street. Last year all the river/ToT. The year before Grizzly Peak and 60th prep.

Old Mouseketeer

Online fans talk about Disney executives as if they are personally lost in the weeds making decisions about park decorations. I'm willing to bet you 2 churros that Chapek has no clue what's currently going on with Disneyland's Castle. This is a poor reflection of the Disneyland Operations management team, not some C suite executive who has far bigger concerns to worry about.

I'll see your 2 churros and raise you a turkey leg. The President of Disneyland is a direct report to Chapek. I guarantee you he would have had to discuss this with Chapek. If, as I suspect, they put money into the FY18 budget to fix the roofs instead of putting the jewel roofs back on, it would have to be signed off by Chapek, along with all major capital improvements.

D

Deleted member 107043

I'll see your 2 churros and raise you a turkey leg. The President of Disneyland is a direct report to Chapek. I guarantee you he would have had to discuss this with Chapek. If, as I suspect, they put money into the FY18 budget to fix the roofs instead of putting the jewel roofs back on, it would have to be signed off by Chapek, along with all major capital improvements.

Sure, that's one scenario among many. It's still entirely possible that Chapek is completely in the dark, or doesn't care, about such matters in Anaheim because he has bigger fish to fry. Consider how many roofs are visible to customers globally that P&R maintains. A person in his role certainly can't be concerned about all of them.

Disney Analyst

Sure, that's one scenario among many. It's still entirely possible that Chapek's is completely in the dark, or doesn't care, about such matters in Anaheim because he has bigger fish to fry. Consider how many roofs are visible to customers globally that P&R maintains. A person in his role certainly can't be concerned about all of them.

As someone who is dealing with budget spreadsheets right now for a business under a big corporation, and obviously these could differ...

but likely they send Disneyland a budget for the entire year, broken down by the quarter. In that they won't have necessarily separate categories for "Castle Roof Refurb" but just a budget for Repairs and Maintenance. Or Refurb in general. The management then would decide what they use that money towards on a local level, such as fixing the castle roofs, or replacing all the trolley tracks etc.

Now these could be given separate budgets and not even be part of the budget handed down, or it could be added to budget I guess, but projects like this may just fall under the main budget, and if they can fit it into the money they've allocated, they will...

But I would assume it would take it coming from a local level to decide that is high enough priority to use a chunk of the budget up for it.

Obviously huge expansion/new rides have the higher ups involvement, but projects like this would really be decided upon on a local level from the budget they've been allocated for the entire year or quarter.

D

Deleted member 107043

As someone who is dealing with budget spreadsheets right now for a business under a big corporation, and obviously these could differ...

but likely they send Disneyland a budget for the entire year, broken down by the quarter. In that they won't have necessarily separate categories for "Castle Roof Refurb" but just a budget for Repairs and Maintenance. Or Refurb in general. The management then would decide what they use that money towards on a local level, such as fixing the castle roofs, or replacing all the trolley tracks etc.

Now these could be given separate budgets and not even be part of the budget handed down, or it could be added to budget I guess, but projects like this may just fall under the main budget, and if they can fit it into the money they've allocated, they will...

But I would assume it would take it coming from a local level to decide that is high enough priority to use a chunk of the budget up for it.

Obviously huge expansion/new rides have the higher ups involvement, but projects like this would really be decided upon on a local level from the budget they've been allocated for the entire year or quarter.

Sounds pretty much like what I experience in my position working with local site operations and facilities teams.

SuddenStorm

Sometimes I wonder how many corners are cut in maintenance when they can't even keep a roof from leaking. Could it be SFMM has better maintenance because their corporate structure is smaller and less management between the guy with the monkey wrench and the guy running the park.

When I was going through SFMM's training after I got hired in, they spent a good few minutes talking about their park maintenance. If I'm remembering right, every coaster is inspected daily. They just don't maintain the facades and buildings. It might not be a pretty park, but it is a safe park. (insert 90's Six Flags gang violence joke)

I remember they also brought up Disneyland- the trainer said that SFMM had a better safety record than Disneyland- in a prideful, kind of jokingly way.

dweezil78

When I was going through SFMM's training after I got hired in, they spent a good few minutes talking about their park maintenance. If I'm remembering right, every coaster is inspected daily. They just don't maintain the facades and buildings. It might not be a pretty park, but it is a safe park. (insert 90's Six Flags gang violence joke)

I remember they also brought up Disneyland- the trainer said that SFMM had a better safety record than Disneyland- in a prideful, kind of jokingly way.

Yeah, I have no doubt the coasters are safe and maintained. (Ok...well I do have doubts, but I like to convince myself they are safe!) But everything outside of the DC/Colossus area has been more or less left to rot. Even if the coasters are 110% safe and maintained, seeing the rest of the park in such a state is a real bummer and just drags down the entire experience of being there.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom