$53 dessert with that $115 steak? Article on Theme Park leaving middle class behind...

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
this year is the second year that we can't afford to visit the Disney parks but we are heading over to Universal instead. Universal has some pretty good deals going on and partnerships with Sea World.

I completely understand that Disney has figured out how to offer specialized experiences and packages to those who can afford it (for more bucks) but it's a little sad that it's not as easy to do our 10 day stay as it used to be.

Another example of Universal taking a pretty big affect on Disney. :)

@Chef Mickey @CaptainAmerica

disneydudette

It already has. Any room with obstructed views due to the bungalows has been reduced to "garden" view or whatever they call it.

All North-facing rooms in both Hawaii and Moorea are considered Lagoon/Lake/Theme Park View. Every room, on every floor, no matter the potential view obstruction of bungalows, boardwalk, or foliage.

Chef Mickey

Nice click bait subject.

Frankly, the fact they have a couple expensive rooms at their hotels or a $53 desert party, doesn't mean Disney is too expensive.

Clearly, those prices are the outliers, not the norm. Record amounts of people are still coming to the parks, including the middle class. If teachers are still going, that is the definition of the middle class not being deterred.

Yes, it's getting more expensive, but what isn't? So a $25/ticket 3D movie is a great deal? How about $200/ticket for awful seats and $65 to park at an NFL game? How about Universal charging similar prices? How about $800 for an iPhone that costs $50 to make? Or $100/month in service fees to use that phone?

Again, this isn't a Disney thing or a new thing...it's an every industry thing and it's been going on for a long time.

People in America today live better and have more than any time in human history. If you think it's expensive, don't go. It will reduce the crowds for me, something that needs to happen anyway.

Matt_Black

And also, the article paints a horribly one-sided perspective.

"A visitor to Disney’s central Florida fantasy-land can now dine on a $115 steak, enjoy a $53-per-plate dessert party and sleep in a bungalow overlooking the Seven Seas Lagoon starting at $2,100 a night."

Yes, they *can*. But they certainly don't have to in order to make a trip to Disney World. They can also eat for less than $20 at many of the quick service locations and food courts and snag a room at All Star Movies for under $100 a night.

The fact that Disney World *offers* high end options doesn't mean there aren't other options that more people can afford.

Don't you bring your logical thinking and rational arguments here!

Redsky89

I agree the pricing is getting out of hand. Not everyone who loves Disney makes the most money in the world. Myself included. I was at Star Wars Weekend yesterday and I had a glorious time. Being a huge Star Wars nerd for the past 20 years I loved it. BUT for one of their premium packages where you got prime seating and autographs etc etc was I believe $400!!!! Seriously??? Absurd. You can pay at most $75 to go to a Comic Con type event and get close to the same experience. I'll still go to Disney but if they think I'm gonna bend and pay these stupid prices for special packages or dining they are crazy. In the coming years when all of a sudden Universal attendance passes Animal Kingdom and Hollywood Studios then they are gonna have to seriously look at what they can still offer the middle class and lower. I'm a Disney enthusiast but I'm telling you its going to happen and its getting close looking at park attendance numbers.

Chef Mickey

I agree the pricing is getting out of hand. Not everyone who loves Disney makes the most money in the world. Myself included. I was at Star Wars Weekend yesterday and I had a glorious time. Being a huge Star Wars nerd for the past 20 years I loved it. BUT for one of their premium packages where you got prime seating and autographs etc etc was I believe $400!!!! Seriously??? Absurd. You can pay at most $75 to go to a Comic Con type event and get close to the same experience. I'll still go to Disney but if they think I'm gonna bend and pay these stupid prices for special packages or dining they are crazy. In the coming years when all of a sudden Universal attendance passes Animal Kingdom and Hollywood Studios then they are gonna have to seriously look at what they can still offer the middle class and lower. I'm a Disney enthusiast but I'm telling you its going to happen and its getting close looking at park attendance numbers.
Yeah, adding more total guests than Universal in Orlando and growing all 4 parks really has them worried.

Redsky89

Yeah, adding more total guests than Universal in Orlando and growing all 4 parks really has them worried.
Universal only had about 1.8 million less visitors then Hollywood Studios. Considering the multiple millions that visit every year thats REALLY close. Also if you look at Universals attendance its attendance growth the past 5 years has jumped quicker then those two Disney parks.

Redsky89

And I am curious what you mean by this. Yes Animal Kingdom is getting Avatarland. But Hollywood Studios is not getting Star Wars land any time soon. Designs of it were presented to people high up in Disney and the concepts were denied supposedly. Nothing new to Epcot besides ONE Frozen ride. And no expansion to Magic Kingdom.

Chef Mickey

And I am curious what you mean by this. Yes Animal Kingdom is getting Avatarland. But Hollywood Studios is not getting Star Wars land any time soon. Designs of it were presented to people high up in Disney and the concepts were denied supposedly. Nothing new to Epcot besides ONE Frozen ride. And no expansion to Magic Kingdom.
Growing in attendance.

Chef Mickey

Universal only had about 1.8 million less visitors then Hollywood Studios. Considering the multiple millions that visit every year thats REALLY close. Also if you look at Universals attendance its attendance growth the past 5 years has jumped quicker then those two Disney parks.
We've been over this. Attendance growth isn't nearly as impressive when the numbers are smaller. In 2014, Disney Parks in Orlando still added more total guests than Universla/IOA and all 4 parks saw attendance growth.

Disney essentially has reached capacity.

Redsky89

We've been over this. Attendance growth isn't nearly as impressive when the numbers are smaller. In 2014, Disney Parks in Orlando still added more total guests than Universla/IOA and all 4 parks saw attendance growth.

Disney essentially has reached capacity.
Your talking about numbers that are around only 10% smaller depending on which Disney park you are comparing Universal to. Many theme park analyst see it happening. Even Disney enthusiast who run Disney themed podcast see it happening and can admit that within the next 5-10 years its possible for Universal attendance to beat out HS or Animal Kingdom.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom