$53 dessert with that $115 steak? Article on Theme Park leaving middle class behind...

VoiceGuy07

I think the blog/article makes a decent point. We've been going to Disney for about 24 years and would buy annual passes during years when we could take advantage of a couple of trips, sometimes three over a year. As prices have increased, it's been harder for us to do so. Example, this year is the second year that we can't afford to visit the Disney parks but we are heading over to Universal instead. Universal has some pretty good deals going on and partnerships with Sea World.

I completely understand that Disney has figured out how to offer specialized experiences and packages to those who can afford it (for more bucks) but it's a little sad that it's not as easy to do our 10 day stay as it used to be.

CaptainJackNO

One cannot help but pick up on the sarcasm of some of you, and you're right, no one is forced to go to WDW; however, the article does make a good point. As some on who goes to the world with family every year to year and a half, the direction the world is going is toward somewhat of a caste style approach. I know that's going to cause some people's hair to catch fire, but it's true. What I find totally fascinating is that some people who support this approach will also complain that the company's focus on stock prices has led to fewer upgrades and additions to the parks. If you're honest with yourself, you will see it's the same argument. Attracting less regular guests at higher prices spikes profits and doesn't require frequent upgrades and improvements. It's all driven by business execs who have no interest in staying with the company long term, boost their portfolio, then move on to the next corporation. They don't care about the long term effects of their policies. And remember, what goes up must come down, and it will. What happens to the majority of the population when a company prices out and alienates that groupwhen the higher 10 percent can no longer float the ccorporate boat?

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
One cannot help but pick up on the sarcasm of some of you, and you're right, no one is forced to go to WDW; however, the article does make a good point. As some on who goes to the world with family every year to year and a half, the direction the world is going is toward somewhat of a caste style approach. I know that's going to cause some people's hair to catch fire, but it's true. What I find totally fascinating is that some people who support this approach will also complain that the company's focus on stock prices has led to fewer upgrades and additions to the parks. If you're honest with yourself, you will see it's the same argument. Attracting less regular guests at higher prices spikes profits and doesn't require frequent upgrades and improvements. It's all driven by business execs who have no I nearest in staying with the company long term, boost their portfolio, then move on to the next corporation. They don't care about the long term effects of their policies. And remember, what goes up must come down, and it will. What happens to the majority of the population when a company prices out and alienates that groupwhen the higher 10 percent can no longer float the ccorporate boat?
Once attendance growth starts to slow down, or stop, I'll start to get a little worried. The price of all entertainment is rising at an insane rate, the NFL priced me out years ago, because I will not spend greater than WDW prices for a few hour long game.

PrincessNelly_NJ

I don't like to see price increases. But, I guess I just don't feel like Disney owes me anything. If I can't afford to go, that's my own problem.
I choose to go every year and I find ways to afford it.
I could stay at a value resort & eat only quick service or bring my own food to save money but I choose to pay more for moderate/deluxe resorts & eat at deluxe restaurants anyway. Disney doesn't force that on me.
I'm sure one day, I'll be completely priced out of Disney & I'll find other places to visit instead.

CaptainJackNO

I'm not worried, not my responsibility. I don't rely on Disney as my employer. Also, I don't feel Disney owes me anything, either. I, like you, find a way to afford WDW, too. But,I am a rational person who loves to look at issues like this and contemplate the effects of such decisions. Do I feel it's wrong for WDW to raise prices and offer these options? No. This is a free country and capitalism fosters a company's right to profit. However, I do feel that these are quick grab decisions that will eventually have long term negative effects on the corporate brand. One of the major keys to Disney's historic success was brand loyalty. That does require a 2-way relationship. Once people start feeling this is one way, loyalty declines and the brand suffers. Like I said, I'm not worried. I am not a shareholder and my last name's not Iger. However, people will begin to seek other options once affordability factors in on decision making, and the largest segment of the population is not the upper 10 percent.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom