50th statues

James J

In the Parks
No
From the 50th thread in News and Rumours:
Disney says the 50th decorations will start to come down this weekend. The statues will stick around for a bit longer.

"As the EARidescent décor starts to come down this weekend—including the phased removal of those beautiful 50th anniversary embellishments on Cinderella Castle—I’m still a little awestruck by how boldly and beautifully we transformed our World for the celebration. And our world-famous castle wasn’t the only icon to get dressed up for the occasion, with each theme park’s icon illuminating the night as a Beacon of Magic. While most of that 50th sparkle and EARidesence will end with the celebration with park icons at Disney’s Hollywood Studios, Disney’s Animal Kingdom Theme Park, and Magic Kingdom Park returning to their usual radiance… Spaceship Earth will continue to shine well into the future with beautiful light displays each night!"

"Fun golden sculptures featuring 50 beloved characters at each of our theme parks? Um, yes please! If you were hoping the Disney Fab 50 Collection would stick around just a bit longer after the celebration, you’re in luck… I hear they may be in our parks beyond the celebration’s official ending for guests to enjoy."

nickys

Premium Member
We were there in December. Very few of the statues worked or did anything. Cast members we asked had no idea why.
My son managed to get most of them to work. I only got a response from a handful, same for DH and eldest. . It became a running joke that only our youngest had the magic. Even he doesn’t know what he did exactly. There were always crowds of people trying and looking frustrated, and then he’d walk up, vaguely move his arm and the statue would burst into life - to applause from everyone else! 😂

nickys

Premium Member
When I was there last year, I didn't even notice most of them. They are a reminder of the extremely underwhelming 50th Anniversary celebration.
There were a few times that we only noticed them because our Magic Bands+ vibrated when we were in the vicinity.

And there were times that happened randomly without a statue nearby - or t least we never found it! 😂

Raxel7851

There were a few times that we only noticed them because our Magic Bands+ vibrated when we were in the vicinity.

And there were times that happened randomly without a statue nearby - or t least we never found it! 😂
We had that happen to us several times at the entrance to Adventure Land. Right above the bridge near the Egg Roll cart there was a statue perched on a beam. We finally spied it after the 3rd or 4th time.

Eric Graham

My son managed to get most of them to work. I only got a response from a handful, same for DH and eldest. . It became a running joke that only our youngest had the magic. Even he doesn’t know what he did exactly. There were always crowds of people trying and looking frustrated, and then he’d walk up, vaguely move his arm and the statue would burst into life - to applause from everyone else! 😂
Sorry, off topic. Did you hear that Questlove is doing a live action remake of the Aristocats. Saw your avatar and thought of that.

JIMINYCR

The statues only add to the atmosphere of the parks. They can stay and still be enjoyed aside from the celebration theme. Theres a lot of small details guests like seeking out that adds enjoyment. They dont take anything away from the parks, only enhances whats there. If Dis could make the workings of the statues more reliable, that would be a plus.
I hadn’t. Thanks. Although I have to say I hate the idea of live remakes of classic animated movies.
Love the Aristocats... would hate to see a live action remake. Havent watched any of them and thought gee that is better.

Raxel7851

I'm surprised they aren't spray painting them platinum. Seems like the kind of low rent trick they might try.
I would imagine they have quite a bit of Jack invested in those statues. From the Imaginerring part to the construction of them, including the installation. For a 50th celebration that was on the lethargic side, I found those little statues interesting. I’m happy they’re keeping them.

drizgirl

I would imagine they have quite a bit of Jack invested in those statues. From the Imaginerring part to the construction of them, including the installation. For a 50th celebration that was on the lethargic side, I found those little statues interesting. I’m happy they’re keeping them.
I enjoyed the statues as well. They were one of the few things they did right with the anniversary. But with that idea came the question of what do we do with them when the anniversary is over. I'm glad they are staying, but they do start seeming like a relic from a prior time. Never mind the question of just what does the MagicBand+ do if the statutes are gone.

Raxel7851

I enjoyed the statues as well. They were one of the few things they did right with the anniversary. But with that idea came the question of what do we do with them when the anniversary is over. I'm glad they are staying, but they do start seeming like a relic from a prior time. Never mind the question of just what does the MagicBand+ do if the statutes are gone.
Well we do have the MB+ lighting up when you scan your finger in! But I’m not sure that’s worth cost of a MB+.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom