50 for the 50th

spacemt354

Chili's
Original Poster
West Side Renovation Part 2

Summer 2019

A recap of our West Side Renovation project - with Part 1 covering Spitha and Part 2 covering the...
West%2BSide%2B2.JPG

NBA Experience

As an NBA fan (and others among us like @Disney Dad 3000 ) the NBA Experience is something that intrigues me given the subject matter, but feels a bit one note.

Replacing Disney Quest - something that had immersive environments for a whole family to enjoy, if you don't like basketball, I don't know how much of the pavilion will entice you. On the other hand, if you are an NBA fan, this looks pretty awesome in concept renderings.
nbae4785781.jpg

From the Disney Parks Blog - October 2017
Inspired by the modern architecture of new NBA arenas around the country, the building design exudes the same spirit and energizing impact, while creating an unmistakable and entertaining connection to the NBA in a way that only Disney can.

The state-of-the-art space will include interactive games and competitions, immersive experiences, a retail store and an adjacent restaurant.

'Inspired by the modern architecture of new NBA arenas around the country' -- well I can definitely see where that is coming from. Two arenas in particular I can see some inspiration from pretty much off the bat

Barclays Center
Home of the Brooklyn Nets
barclays-center-01-bruce-damonte__x_large.jpg

Staples Center
Home of the Los Angeles Lakers and Los Angeles Clippers
1200px-Staples_Center_2012.jpg

Building Panoramic
nbae4785782.png

As for the immersive environments inside - that's where I'm definitely curious about how this will be executed. A sports bar, NBA Store, especially with ESPN's NBA TV deal upwards of billions of dollars spent, and ABC the exclusive home of the NBA Finals in June, both under the parent Walt Disney Company, it makes total sense that Disney would want to increase the NBA's footprint at their resorts given the investment and rising popularity of the sport.

But - why not at the ESPN Wide World of Sports?o_O

Below are some ideas of what the NBA Experience can bring in terms of interactive elements and games, but in my humble opinion, I think a revamp of Disney Quest keeping a similar theme would have offered more variety. Of course, Disney could surprise us with something completely unexpected from this pavilion - but here's where I'm leaning on it.

1st Floor
Full Length NBA Court
SkillsChallengeCourse.jpg

Skills Challenge, 3 Point Contests, Dunk Contests, Trick Shot Contests, and much more. Also Skills Camps are given throughout the day.

2nd Floor
ESPN Sports Science Lab
steph1.jpg

Walk up to the lab that shows the science behind the sport. Using math and physics to calculate optimum release angles, and learning from some of the NBA's best shooters such as Steph Curry how to get that swoosh.

3rd Floor
NBA Live 18 - Interactive Zone
nba-live-18-demo.jpg

3D video game environment that uses VR tech and puts you in the middle of the action of crucial game situations in NBA History. Each game would be about 5 minutes and could hold 2 guests per station.

For instance, taking Jordan's shot over Utah in the NBA Finals Game 6
Playing the 80s Celtics and Lakers rivalry between Magic and Bird
Playing as the Miami Heat in the 2011 NBA Finals - change the outcome scenario
Play as the NBA Champion of the previous year
nba-finals-2017.jpg

Ultimately, I'm a bit unsure how this will hold up, but given the subject I will definitely see how this is handled come Summer 2019 on the Disney Springs West Side!

Thanks for reading and check back in line tonight for a sky-reaching new concept!:geek:

spacemt354

Chili's
Original Poster
Disney Skyliner

Summer 2019
Image_WDW_Disney-Skyliner-2.jpg

A new mode of transportation is coming to Walt Disney World in (approximately) the Summer of 2019 (at least I would assume before a certain land in Disney's Hollywood Studios opens later in the year)

The Disney Skyliner will be a gondola ride that will connect Epcot and Disney's Hollywood Studios with adjacent hotel complexes including Disney's Riviera Resort (set to open Fall 2019), Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort, Disney's Art of Animation Resort, and Disney's Pop Century Resort. This continues the progression of Disney going away with the categories for resorts and instead merging many into one umbrella (probably so they can jack up the price at these resorts as well...)
Walt-Disney-World-Gondola-System_Full_30603.jpg

At the 2017 D23 Convention - the Disney Skyliner was announced officially and an illustration and graphic design work was presented to give us a taste of what is to come. One of the supposed downsides (at least one of the consistent complaints) is that it will not have air conditioning. However, given the brevity of the journey one would take from Epcot's International Gateway Station to any of the resort stops, or even to Disney's Hollywood Studios - the consistent opening and closing of the doors might make air conditioning obsolete anyway.
WDWSKMM257898754.jpg

Along with the concept renderings, here might be some of the views as guests descend into the Disney's Hollywood Studios station.
gondola.JPG

Head towards both Disney's Art of Animation and Disney's Pop Century Resorts
gondola%2B2.JPG

And glide into the International Gateway at Epcot, incidentally allowing access to both adjacent resorts of Disney's Boardwalk Inn and Disney's Yacht and Beach Club if guests so choose.
gondola%2B3.JPG

While the installation of the Disney Skyliner may only affect the Epcot and Disney's Hollywood Studios Resort Areas, if successful, it wouldn't surprise me to see this be expanded to most locations on WDW property, in particular Disney's Animal Kingdom and Disney Springs, as it seems more cost effective than building new monorails (as cool as that would be) and would be a proven system of transport.
------------
Update: 12/8/17 - First Concept Art of the new Gondola Stations
Walt-Disney-World-Gondola-System_Full_31775.jpg

International Gateway Station - Epcot

Walt-Disney-World-Gondola-System_Full_31776.jpg

Caribbean Beach Station

Walt-Disney-World-Gondola-System_Full_31777.jpg

Disney's Hollywood Studios Station

And thus as the summer wind turns to fall, a new adventure waits on the horizon in our next installment.

I would tell you what it is, Batuu have to wait to find out. ;)

Last edited:

spacemt354

Chili's
Original Poster
Going to take my time with this next one - it will probably be the most detailed concept of the bunch - just given that there is so much that is going into the project. Attractions, shops, restaurants, etc - I want to make it as detailed and immersive as possible! So it may take a little bit to complete.

In the meantime - @MonorailRed is finishing her finals tomorrow, so expect some content from her in the coming days! :)

Disney Dad 3000

West Side Renovation Part 2

Summer 2019

A recap of our West Side Renovation project - with Part 1 covering Spitha and Part 2 covering the...
West%2BSide%2B2.JPG

NBA Experience

As an NBA fan (and others among us like @Disney Dad 3000 ) the NBA Experience is something that intrigues me given the subject matter, but feels a bit one note.

Replacing Disney Quest - something that had immersive environments for a whole family to enjoy, if you don't like basketball, I don't know how much of the pavilion will entice you. On the other hand, if you are an NBA fan, this looks pretty awesome in concept renderings.
nbae4785781.jpg

From the Disney Parks Blog - October 2017
Inspired by the modern architecture of new NBA arenas around the country, the building design exudes the same spirit and energizing impact, while creating an unmistakable and entertaining connection to the NBA in a way that only Disney can.

The state-of-the-art space will include interactive games and competitions, immersive experiences, a retail store and an adjacent restaurant.

'Inspired by the modern architecture of new NBA arenas around the country' -- well I can definitely see where that is coming from. Two arenas in particular I can see some inspiration from pretty much off the bat

Barclays Center
Home of the Brooklyn Nets
barclays-center-01-bruce-damonte__x_large.jpg

Staples Center
Home of the Los Angeles Lakers and Los Angeles Clippers
1200px-Staples_Center_2012.jpg

Building Panoramic
nbae4785782.png

As for the immersive environments inside - that's where I'm definitely curious about how this will be executed. A sports bar, NBA Store, especially with ESPN's NBA TV deal upwards of billions of dollars spent, and ABC the exclusive home of the NBA Finals in June, both under the parent Walt Disney Company, it makes total sense that Disney would want to increase the NBA's footprint at their resorts given the investment and rising popularity of the sport.

But - why not at the ESPN Wide World of Sports?o_O

Below are some ideas of what the NBA Experience can bring in terms of interactive elements and games, but in my humble opinion, I think a revamp of Disney Quest keeping a similar theme would have offered more variety. Of course, Disney could surprise us with something completely unexpected from this pavilion - but here's where I'm leaning on it.

1st Floor
Full Length NBA Court
SkillsChallengeCourse.jpg

Skills Challenge, 3 Point Contests, Dunk Contests, Trick Shot Contests, and much more. Also Skills Camps are given throughout the day.

2nd Floor
ESPN Sports Science Lab
steph1.jpg

Walk up to the lab that shows the science behind the sport. Using math and physics to calculate optimum release angles, and learning from some of the NBA's best shooters such as Steph Curry how to get that swoosh.

3rd Floor
NBA Live 18 - Interactive Zone
nba-live-18-demo.jpg

3D video game environment that uses VR tech and puts you in the middle of the action of crucial game situations in NBA History. Each game would be about 5 minutes and could hold 2 guests per station.

For instance, taking Jordan's shot over Utah in the NBA Finals Game 6
Playing the 80s Celtics and Lakers rivalry between Magic and Bird
Playing as the Miami Heat in the 2011 NBA Finals - change the outcome scenario
Play as the NBA Champion of the previous year
nba-finals-2017.jpg

Ultimately, I'm a bit unsure how this will hold up, but given the subject I will definitely see how this is handled come Summer 2019 on the Disney Springs West Side!

Thanks for reading and check back in line tonight for a sky-reaching new concept!:geek:

Really enjoying all the work you've put into this total project. I am looking forward to the nba site as you said. I started working on a side project for it in the spring but never got around to finishing. I almost wish they would actually go for an old school exterior then they could blend in this side a little more with the East. Some thing like the old Chicago stadium. Their rendering still looks cool though. I also envisioned something akin to your 3 point challenge, but having video boards where they replay random nba players from paSt 3 point comps at all star weekend and you go head to head with them with the same shot clock, etc. Liked all your ideas.

Cheers on the meet the robinsons too! Very underated movie IMO. Even if they didn't want to do a full blown ride, an attraction like you've done at MK or Epcot would be great.

spacemt354

Chili's
Original Poster
Really enjoying all the work you've put into this total project. I am looking forward to the nba site as you said. I started working on a side project for it in the spring but never got around to finishing. I almost wish they would actually go for an old school exterior then they could blend in this side a little more with the East. Some thing like the old Chicago stadium. Their rendering still looks cool though. I also envisioned something akin to your 3 point challenge, but having video boards where they replay random nba players from paSt 3 point comps at all star weekend and you go head to head with them with the same shot clock, etc. Liked all your ideas.

Cheers on the meet the robinsons too! Very underated movie IMO. Even if they didn't want to do a full blown ride, an attraction like you've done at MK or Epcot would be great.
Thank you! Those would be great ideas as well - and completely agree, Meet the Robinsons is a film that really connects with me. Has a wonderful message that really applies especially to kids in high school/college who might want to go back in the past and redo a failure because they think it'll help their future. But in reality, you have the power to change your future by making the right choices in life, and you learn from your failures so you have the knowledge to make the right choices.

It really resonated with me going through pre-med classes as it can be easy to blame failure on a test or get consumed in moments of failure thinking you'll never make it. But if you keep your eye on the end goal - you just keep moving forward with your goals and eventually you'll get there, which I did actually - after 4 years undergrad, 2 years masters, I'm going to med school in august, just found out I got in last week...so yes I would like Meet the Robinsons in the park haha - even just as an exhibit like Innoventions:)

D Hulk

Thank you! Those would be great ideas as well - and completely agree, Meet the Robinsons is a film that really connects with me. Has a wonderful message that really applies especially to kids in high school/college who might want to go back in the past and redo a failure because they think it'll help their future. But in reality, you have the power to change your future by making the right choices in life, and you learn from your failures so you have the knowledge to make the right choices.

It really resonated with me going through pre-med classes as it can be easy to blame failure on a test or get consumed in moments of failure thinking you'll never make it. But if you keep your eye on the end goal - you just keep moving forward with your goals and eventually you'll get there, which I did actually - after 4 years undergrad, 2 years masters, I'm going to med school in august, just found out I got in last week...so yes I would like Meet the Robinsons in the park haha - even just as an exhibit like Innoventions:)
Wow! :joyfull: Mazeltov on med school! Soon we'll be calling you Dr. Spacemt.

Cj12sxIXAAEr1JE.jpg

Very wise words up there about keeping a long-term focus and not dwelling on mistakes. It's great to create a pragmatic, longsighted mindset early on...Okay, I just got off the phone with my financial adviser, and that's the jargon we were using. Meet the Robinsons has a strong message that's very in-line with Walt's futurism. Keep up the great work, both in this thread and in med school! :):D

spacemt354

Chili's
Original Poster
Way to just casually slide this is... Like wow! Congratulations Space!!!
I did like how he just kind of threw that in there all casual like.
Haha maybe that's a good thing because I'm going to have to casually slide in bills among other things to patients eventually. Good practice
you-have-a-hand-inside-of-you.jpg

Wow! :joyfull: Mazeltov on med school! Soon we'll be calling you Dr. Spacemt.

Cj12sxIXAAEr1JE.jpg

Very wise words up there about keeping a long-term focus and not dwelling on mistakes. It's great to create a pragmatic, longsighted mindset early on...Okay, I just got off the phone with my financial adviser, and that's the jargon we were using. Meet the Robinsons has a strong message that's very in-line with Walt's futurism. Keep up the great work, both in this thread and in med school! :):D
:hilarious:
Thank you all very much! Really appreciated it - and a big monkey off my shoulders. Still a lot of work left to get to the end goal but this is at least it keeps it...shall we say...moving forward?:)

spacemt354

Chili's
Original Poster
Just a quick update

http://blogmickey.com/2017/12/transformation-details-revealed-disneys-caribbean-beach-resort/
New Concept Art Photos arrived for the Old Port Royale Refurbishment at Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort! So I added them in to the project (as new info comes in I'll try to do add new photos in and such)

https://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads...ure-of-walt-disney-world.936294/#post-7983219

Also - Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge (the next project) is well underway -- gathered a lot of info on it to hopefully make it as authentic as I can (with the non-existent 'insider' knowledge I have of it)

spacemt354

Chili's
Original Poster

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom