50 for the 50th

DisneyFan18

Walt Disney World Railroad Enhancement

Winter 2021
walt-disney-world-railroad-fantasyland-00.jpg

The Walt Disney World Railroad is the first attraction guests see as they step through the gates of the Magic Kingdom and gaze up at the ornate Main Street Station and the recognizable bells of the steam engine roaring into pick up the next group of passengers on a grand circle tour of the park. Nevertheless, with the Tomorrowland 2022 project going on, and the Tron construction over the railroad line, the Walt Disney World Railroad will most likely have to close sometime around 2019 or 2020 to accomodate for the construction. Nevertheless, it will open soon enough...and now it has, and with an enhancement not only for the 50th anniversary, but to give guests a much better send off than the railroad has currently.

After the Fantasyland Station stop, you chug back up a small hill towards Main Street U.S.A. - passing in-between Space Mountain and the Speedway, before a wondrous view of...the expanded bus drop off point through thinly veiled shrubbery. :p

While the Contemporary Resort in the distance does evoke the Tomorrowland aesthetic, the buses and visible parking areas always bothered me. So in 2021, when the Walt Disney World Railroad reopens, it will feature a tunnel scene similar to that of the Disneyland Railroad from Tomorrowland to Main Street U.S.A.

In this project - we will take a ride through the Walt Disney World Railroad with full on-board narration, arriving at our new scene in the finale of the attraction - a look back (and forward) at the visions of Tomorrow - with an instrumental version of 'There's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow' playing in the background, as projection screens of Tomorrowland whiz by the railroad through the futuristic portal, in both a celebration of Tomorrowland's 50th anniversary, as well as a showcase of all that Tomorrowland has been and will become.

Narration in italics

Walt Disney World Railroad - Ride-Through

Main Street Station
walt-disney-world-railroad-00.jpg

Welcome aboard the Walt Disney World Railroad! We’re about to take a grand circle tour of the Magic Kingdom, with stops along the way at Frontierland and Fantasyland. Just sit tight and keep your hands, arms, feet, and legs well inside the train. We’re leaving Main Street Station right now, so wave goodbye — but if you stay on board long enough, why, sooner or later, you’ll be back.

(Spanish safety spiel.)

For an old conductor like me, there’s no better place to ride the rails than the Magic Kingdom. By the way, we’re traveling on pure steam power. This old locomotive is descended from the mighty trains that powered the golden age of steam. And just like me, it’s a little old-fashioned. Now, where else can you travel from the charm of Main Street, U.S.A. to the untamed jungles of Africa, Asia, and South America? At the Magic Kingdom, anything is possible, and we’re headed straight to the heart of Adventureland. It can get pretty wild in these parts — especially if you run into Captain Jack Sparrow. He’s hidin’ out among those scurrilous Pirates of the Caribbean. But whether you’re boardin’ a boat for the Jungle Cruise or flyin’ on Aladdin’s magic carpets, when you visit Adventureland, bring an extra dose of bravery. As for me, I’ll stay safe and sound right here aboard my train, if ya don’t mind.

We’ve reached the wild west of the Magic Kingdom: Frontierland. Well, this outpost is home to the covered wagons, cowpokes, and Country Bears. And we’ve got our own mountain range of excitin’ adventures. You might catch a runaway mine train at Big Thunder Mountain, or hop on over to Splash Mountain and join Br’er Rabbit for a 50-foot drop straight down into the briar patch. We’ve reached Frontierland Station, everyone, so sit tight until we’ve come to a complete stop. If you’re disembarking here, please carry your strollers all the way off the platform before you unfold ’em. That’ll help make room for the new passengers joinin’ us. Watch your step now — this is Frontierland Station.

(Train stops at Frontierland Station. Train leaves the station.)

Frontierland Station
walt-disney-world-railroad-frontierland-gallery03.jpg

Howdy, folks! If you’re just joinin’ us, welcome aboard the Walt Disney World Railroad. We’re headed for Fantasyland and to Main Street, U.S.A. Everybody stay seated, and keep your hands and arms, feet, and legs safely inside the train. And as always, keep an eye on your little ones.

(Spanish safety spiel.)

As we head into the American wilderness, we’ll pass by the dusty desert town of Tumbleweed. Keep your eyes peeled for the runaway mine trains of Big Thunder Mountain Railroad. Runaway trains… now I ask you — is that any way to run a railroad? I feel right at home here in the prairies and forests of the American wilderness. These woods haven’t changed much since the days when settlers started headin’ west! Nowadays, the rails can carry us safely through the wild, and a trip that used to take months can now be made in just a few weeks. There’s plenty of deer, antelope, and elk that feed along the banks of the river. And naturally, plenty of early settlers decided to put down stakes and live here too. Of course, those early settlers weren’t the first to make their home in this wild frontier. These native tribes of Plains Indians were living, hunting, and trading for centuries before we ever came along. They were the first to tame the wild horses of the American plains — long before our big ol’ iron horses started chuggin’ through these parts.

We’re almost out of the woods, folks. We’re comin’ up on the most magical of lands: Fantasyland — a place where any dream can come true! Fly over London with Peter Pan. Set sail on “it’s a small world.” Take a trip under the sea with The Little Mermaid. Be our guest at an enchanted feast in the Beast’s Castle. Or journey into the Seven Dwarfs’ mine, where a million diamonds shine. Whether you’re a pixie, a princess, or just an everyday dreamer, there’s always something special about Fantasyland.

If you’ve been riding trains as long as this old-timer, you may remember the days when the circus would come to town on the local railway. Well, the circus is here, and it’s set up permanent headquarters as the Fantasyland Storybook Circus. This is the place to fly high with Dumbo, or join Goofy on the Barnstormer — a frolicking ride of circus acrobatics and coaster thrills. This station is also your gateway to the rest of Fantasyland and Tomorrowland. Now, please wait until the train has come to a complete stop, gather your belongings, and carry your strollers away from the platform before you start unfoldin’ ’em. That way, we can start loadin’ up for the next leg of our trip. For those of your disembarking, please watch your step, and thanks for traveling with us on the Walt Disney World Railroad. Join us again real soon. If you’re stayin’ aboard, our next stop is Main Street Station.

(Train stops at Fantasyland Station. Train leaves the station.)

Fantasyland Station
o_1acdvn0ct1c5sh91fsm1tq9h72j.jpg

Looks like we’re ready to embark on the next leg of our journey! Our destination is Main Street, U.S.A. Now, everyone stay seated, and keep your hands and arms, feet, and legs inside the train at all times. And please, keep an eye on your children.

(Spanish safety spiel.)

There are some who say that this steam train is a little old-fashioned — but for me, it’s the only way to travel. Of course, there are those who prefer to hit the highway, and on the right, you just might spot some pint-sized drivers taking their first spin behind the wheel of a lightcycle. Gettin’ from place to place is a big deal in Tomorrowland, where you might board a PeopleMover, zip around on the Astro Orbiter, book a flight across the galaxy at our busy Starport in Space Mountain, or even zip through the technological grid of Tron. Tomorrowland is truly a world on the move!

shdr-att-tron-lightcycle-power-run-hero-new.jpg

*Train passes under the Tron dome, seeing the coaster sail to the sky on the left and right side of the train*

Tunnel Sequence Begins

Well folks, my good friend Walt always told me he had beautiful dreams of the future. Far beyond an old conductor like myself could ever imagine. He pictured a future filled with possibility. Of wonder and excitement, an Experimental Prototype Community of Tomorrow. A Tomorrowland, that would continue to grow and evolve with each generation, as long as we keep moving forward.

There's a great big beautiful tomorrow, just a dream away

*Tunnel showcases concept renderings and digital projections 270 degrees around the train putting you in each world of Tomorrow as visualized by the time periods.*
1997etmwrmreljpg.jpg

newTomorrowland%2BWDW%2BMK%2B1994.jpg

tomorrowland-disney-01.jpg

DbM-010x.jpg

We’ve made a complete trip around the Magic Kingdom. For those of you who’ve been on board for the whole journey, thanks for puttin’ up with me these last few days. If you’re stayin’ with us, we’ll be headed for Frontierland next. Right now, please stay seated until our train comes to a complete stop. Then pick up your belongings, and carefully step off the train. If you have strollers to unfold, please take ’em all the way beyond the platform so we can safely board passengers for the next leg of our journey. This is Main Street Station — Main Street, U.S.A.
------------

Thanks for reading everyone! Kicking off 2021 with a classic attraction and one of my favorites, with a subtle addition to whet our appetites for an extremely busy 2021 and 2022 as we near closer to the Golden Dreams celebration.

It looks great, I hope it does end up being something like this, if you want I can write the Spanish Safety Spiel.

spacemt354

Chili's
Original Poster
Panda Exhibit on Maharajah Jungle Trek

Winter 2021
giantpanda-007.jpg

Disney's Animal Kingdom, while filled with great thrill rides like Expedition Everest and Flight of Passage, and despite the advertising of 'nahtazu' Not a zoo -- it very much is a zoological theme park, and in our race to develop the next trackless dark ride or thrilling coaster, going back to the roots of a theme park's message and purpose, is something that is vital to its continued success. And that is where this project comes in as @MonorailRed and I were discussing...what could we do that's relatively less involved than say an entire new land like Pandora. Rumor wise and confirmed attractions wise, Disney's Animal Kingdom seems that it will be kinda quiet in terms of activity post-Pandora till post-50th, with most projects being blue sky.

So then we talked about - a new animal exhibit, and Red said that Disney's Animal Kingdom didn't have a panda exhibit. At first I was like...no that can't be true, for some reason I always assumed they did at least in Conservation Station given that Disney's Animal Kingdom prides itself on preserving endangered species. But nevertheless she was right! There are no pandas. Further research also looked into some possible early 2010s rumors with Jim Hill regarding the possibility of a sort of handshake agreement with Shanghai Disneyland and pandas at Disney's Animal Kingdom. The validity of that is yet to be seen, but it is obvious that a panda exhibit is definitely a bucket list attraction for Disney's Animal Kingdom - and for the 50th anniversary - that bucket list item will be checked off as the Maharajah Jungle Trek will be expanded north of Asia with a Panda exhibit featuring two endangered pandas.

For anyone who isn't familiar with the Maharajah Jungle Trek, it is a very immersive walk-through attraction in the 'Asia' land of the park, complete with gorgeous scenery and plenty of animals including tigers, bats (possibly originating from a volcano), and now...pandas!
maxresdefault.jpg

maharajah-jungle-trek-gallery03.jpg

Maharajah-Jungle-Trek-ruins-1600.jpg

Just beautiful!

Here's a full walk-through.

At the most northern part of the attraction (so about 1/2 to 2/3 of the way through the attraction) the Panda Exhibit will be placed.
giantpanda-002.jpg

---------
Overall, our hope is the Panda Exhibit not only brings new popularity to a very underrated attraction in the Maharajah Jungle Trek, but helps bring a bucket list endangered animal to Disney's Animal Kingdom not only for the benefit of the guests but for the well-intended care the cast members of the park will provide them.

funny-bears-doing-human-things-17.jpg

-------
Thanks for reading everyone! Hope that was something different and a bit unexpected - and stick around as we continue through the epic 2021 year at the Walt Disney World Resort!​

DisneyFan18

Oh thank you so much! That would be an awesome touch! :)
The introductory one would be:
¡Bienvenidos abordo del Walt Disney World Railroad! Estamos a punto de embarcar en un tour alrededor de Magic Kingdom con paradas en Frontierland y Fantasyland. Para su seguridad, permanezca sentado y mantenga las manos, brazos, pies y piernas dentro del tren todo el tiempo, y cuide a los pequeños. Gracias.

And for the others it would just be the safety spiel which is:
Para su seguridad, permanezca sentado y mantenga las manos, brazos, pies y piernas dentro del tren todo el tiempo, y cuide a los pequeños. Gracias.

However if you would like a little sentence could be added to each one like "A continuación, nos dirigimos a la estación de Fantasyland, donde princesas y héroes cuentan sus historias. Para su seguridad, permanezca sentado y mantenga las manos, brazos, pies y piernas dentro del tren todo el tiempo, y cuide a los pequeños. Gracias." And "Ahora, nuestro viaje nos llevará de regreso a la estación de Main Street, pero antes visitaremos el mundo del mañana. Para su seguridad, permanezca sentado y mantenga las manos, brazos, pies y piernas dentro del tren todo el tiempo, y cuide a los pequeños. Gracias."

spacemt354

Chili's
Original Poster
The introductory one would be:
¡Bienvenidos abordo del Walt Disney World Railroad! Estamos a punto de embarcar en un tour alrededor de Magic Kingdom con paradas en Frontierland y Fantasyland. Para su seguridad, permanezca sentado y mantenga las manos, brazos, pies y piernas dentro del tren todo el tiempo, y cuide a los pequeños. Gracias.

And for the others it would just be the safety spiel which is:
Para su seguridad, permanezca sentado y mantenga las manos, brazos, pies y piernas dentro del tren todo el tiempo, y cuide a los pequeños. Gracias.

However if you would like a little sentence could be added to each one like "A continuación, nos dirigimos a la estación de Fantasyland, donde princesas y héroes cuentan sus historias. Para su seguridad, permanezca sentado y mantenga las manos, brazos, pies y piernas dentro del tren todo el tiempo, y cuide a los pequeños. Gracias." And "Ahora, nuestro viaje nos llevará de regreso a la estación de Main Street, pero antes visitaremos el mundo del mañana. Para su seguridad, permanezca sentado y mantenga las manos, brazos, pies y piernas dentro del tren todo el tiempo, y cuide a los pequeños. Gracias."
Added them all in as well as the continuation sentences -- Gracias, mi amigo!:) Great job!

DisneyFan18

Added them all in as well as the continuation sentences -- Gracias, mi amigo!:) Great job!
Just one quick note, I added in the continuation sentences the safety spiel, so it would have been easier for you.
The first one would translate to "Now we're on our way to the Fantasyland station, where princesses and heroes tell their stories." And then the safety spiel. Y de nada, it's a pleasure help in what's possible amigo :)

spacemt354

Chili's
Original Poster
Just one quick note, I added in the continuation sentences the safety spiel, so it would have been easier for you.
The first one would translate to "Now we're on our way to the Fantasyland station, where princesses and heroes tell their stories." And then the safety spiel. Y de nada, it's a pleasure help in what's possible amigo :)
4GuFk2T.jpg

:hilarious: Haha I didn't even see that - made it too easy for me! Will fix it.

Edit - fixed! Thank you again!

spacemt354

Chili's
Original Poster
Tampa Bay Rays Spring Training

Spring 2021
espnwwos-complex-slide-champ13.jpg

In the Spring of 2018, the Atlanta Braves will have their final Spring Training in Champions Stadium at the ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex after 20 years with Disney. Since 1997, the Atlanta Braves Spring Training has been one of the most popular events for the complex, where spectators can come out and see not only the Braves but other teams such as the Red Sox and Yankees in the Grapefruit League play on their Walt Disney World Resort vacation.

The Tampa Bay Rays have their Spring Training currently in Port Charlotte, Florida and the distance from Tampa Bay to Disney would actually be about 20-30 minutes closer than their previous destination - and would help a franchise in need of some added popularity. The Orlando Magic basketball team partnership with Disney seems to be doing some good with reinvigorating that franchise, and another small market Florida team could benefit from the vacation capital of the world for their Spring Training.

So we are going to make that happen!

I am a huge baseball fan. Basketball too. Other sports I follow but not as passionately. Been to Yankee Stadium, Wrigley Field, Dodger Stadium, Camden Yards, and my dorm for years in college was right outside Fenway Park - even one time got to walk on the field for the park's 100th anniversary
581359_247328335366489_419613158_n.jpg

So Disney is not the only thing I like even though it might seem that way at times:hilarious:

Anyway - the Rays play at Tropicana Field, and the dimensions of that park (ie the home run fence) are a bit different than the current configuration of Champions Stadium in the ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex
tropicana_topv2.jpg

Therefore, as part of the agreement, the dimensions are changed to those of Tropicana Field (fairly simple to move the outfield lines) so that the Rays can practice on a field of the same dimensions as the one they will play on for 82 games out of the season.

New Champions Stadium Layout
baseball%2Bfinal.jpg

Overall - I think this would be a great move for both sides. Disney and the 50th anniversary bringing in a new baseball Spring Training MLB team after a few years of it being dormant, and the Tampa Bay Rays getting some publicity and attention for their Spring Training location in the Walt Disney World Resort. Who knows though - but suffice it to say I hope a new team does take the Atlanta Braves place in the coming years because the Champions Stadium is one of the best training facilities in all of the MLB, and it's really neat to have teams play in Disney throughout February and March.

-----

Thanks for reading! Another one that hope took you by surprise a little - trying to be break the mold a bit and branch out to other areas of the Walt Disney World Resort - while still keeping that grounded realism with the project as a whole. :)

spacemt354

Chili's
Original Poster
Olaf's Summer Slopes at Disney's Blizzard Beach Water Park

Spring 2021
tikes-peak-gallery02.jpg

Surprised that this hasn't happened already (though Disney does have Frozen Summer Games at Disney's Blizzard Beach Water Park) - the 'newest' Disney water park open in 1995, is very thrill and teen friendly. While there are plenty of places for kids to explore, in my view, they could be a bit better, or should I say upgraded. Visiting it for the first time in a while, last year, and seeing the kiddie areas the same as they were when I went as a kid in the 90s, they could use a bit of an update.

With 2013's smash hit Frozen, and Olaf's 'In Summer' song making waves at Disney parks, we don't need much more Frozen in the four theme parks. We might be a bit...should I say...cold to the idea. However, IP inclusion in parks serves a vital role not only in marketing, but in many cases, the IP fits with the pre-established land. And at Blizzard Beach, having a kiddie area (formally known as Tike's Peak) be revamped to Olaf's Summer Slopes, is a relatively innocuous way to include Frozen in the parks without it being too 'in your face'
IMG_7540.jpg

Tike's Peak shown from a wide angle. A couple of small slides water play area, and seating areas from parents.

New Tike's Peak Layout
bb%2Bfinal.jpg

The area will now expanded a bit, running up against the brim of the Winter Summerland Mini-Golf Course, as the story goes, Olaf was visiting Anna and Elsa in the Norway Pavilion at Epcot, and saw snow for the first time in (forever) in Florida. He quickly realized that the snow was soaking up the Floridian sun's rays soon after he constructed his sleigh riding slopes, and it quickly became a Summerland for kids to enjoy, with updated slides, interactive ice block areas, and a small hill avalanche waterfall to complete the aesthetic.

Ultimately, simply a revamp of an older area of the park and enhancing it for families with small toddlers and young children to enjoy.
------
Thanks for reading as we continue through the year 2021. As we go on especially to the next few projects, we may be reaching some familiar territories of confirmed projects - but I guess we'll have to come a little bit closer to find out what they are. :)

spacemt354

Chili's
Original Poster
Tomorrowland 2022 Part 3

Spring 2021
Capture%20drsquoeacutecran%202015-07-18%20agrave%2005.04.25.png~original

Announced at the 2017 D23 Convention, the Tron Lightcycle Power Run roller coaster from Shanghai Disneyland is coming to the Magic Kingdom in the Walt Disney World Resort as part of the Tomorrowland 2022 project.

Taking a look back at our map - Tron Lightcycle Power Run will be located north of Space Mountain and adjacent to and even overarching the Walt Disney World Railroad as well as the former Tomorrowland Speedway (more on that below)
tomorrowland%2Bfinal.jpg

From the artist concept, it is evident that there will be a bit of a different in the Tomorrowland skyline and structure. While artistic interpretations are needed in these sketches, rumor has it that the Tomorrowland Speedway will be getting a 'Tron' style overlay to blend in with the surrounding areas, as opposed to the colorful current edition in the concept art.
image_wdw_tron-jpg.215710

Back to Tron Lightcycle Power Run, the best description of it is a video - which can be seen below.

And at least from images (haven't been to Shanghai) the neon lights at night look gorgeous and would be a great compliment to the rest of Tomorrowland.
shanghai-disneyland-grand-opening-tron-lightcycle-power-run-014.jpg

------------
Tomorrowland Speedway Renovation
'The Grid'

tomorrowland-speedway-gallery06.jpg

With the addition of the Lightcycle Power Run, the Tomorrowland Speedway will be getting a reskin of theme, along with new electric cars, finally ridden the 'Magic' Kingdom of the fumes that permeate the air around the attraction that used to very much represent the future. *insert sarcasm*
IMG_2513-1024x768.jpg

The Grid Speedway will essentially act as a 'beginner' ride to the Power Run coaster, with a duel Lightcycle design that puts kids behind the gears of their own lightcycle as they meander through the various twists and turns of the grid. With the fusion of the neon aesthetic of Tron, the old fashioned colorful design of the speedway will be more reminiscent to its adjacent coaster design.
a-full-pov-video-ride-through-th.jpg

With the renovation of the Speedway, Tomorrowland 2022 is more than halfway through its ultimate design - with new attractions and updated themes to keep it moving forward into the next generation of theme park guests.

-----------

Thank you all again for reading - and check back tonight for, ironically, another coaster - as Disney apparently is opening up two similar attractions around the same time in two different parks. Hey, at least they are doing something, better than stagnation. ;)

v_k

Long time lurker, first time poster. I just want to say I love this thread! Whilst I love reading about blue-sky concepts, it's great to read the stuff that might actually happen. And I know this is super-late, but I also want to say congratulations to spacemt354 for getting into medical school! I'm a final year med student myself, and it's tough going but really rewarding!

spacemt354

Chili's
Original Poster
Long time lurker, first time poster. I just want to say I love this thread! Whilst I love reading about blue-sky concepts, it's great to read the stuff that might actually happen. And I know this is super-late, but I also want to say congratulations to spacemt354 for getting into medical school! I'm a final year med student myself, and it's tough going but really rewarding!
Hey v_k, welcome! Thank you so much for the warm congrats and congratulations to you as well - final year, almost there!

I'm glad you're enjoying this thread - and expect more projects coming today:D

spacemt354

Chili's
Original Poster
Guardians of the Galaxy: Energy Quest

Spring 2021

http://www./wp-content/uploads/2017/10/Screen-Shot-2017-10-02-at-9.54.24-AM.png
So this is was the announcement at the 2017 D23 convention that made many Epcot purists of the 80s and 90s most likely pronounce the time of death for the original Epcot Center. I'm sure die hard fans would prefer an attraction involving the characters above rather than the ones we are getting in the Spring of 2021. It was announced that Ellen's Energy Adventure and the Universe of Energy would be replaced with a Guardians of the Galaxy Roller Coaster attraction, and the first Marvel themed attraction at the Walt Disney World Resort.
guar0874324.jpg

Nevertheless, imagineer Tom Fitzgerald at the announcement had stated that "the Guardians are going to take our guests on an out of this world adventure, but it will still be very rooted in an Epcot story.”

What is that Epcot tie? Peter Quill aka Star-Lord, visited Epcot as a child. And that the attraction will most likely involve some sort of energy related theme, which we've titled 'Energy Quest' - which is a reference to Thanos Quest, which is one of the comics that Avengers: Infinity War is based on.

Peter Quill at Epcot
latest

In regards to the story I'll hold judgment until the final attraction and seeing it through. I'm mixed on it right now as I feel like it's a Pandora's box to simply make anything fit in Future World as long as someone from the franchise knows about Epcot. But...the upside I see in this is while the Universe of Energy used an innovative ride system and the dinosaur scene was great...it was way too long and dated. Granted, they could have updated the attraction with a new host, but what is that really doing other than keeping what we know?

Ironically, after seeing The Last Jedi, this feels like an interesting comparison. Going from Universe of Energy (original trilogy) to a more familiar update of the ride (ie Force Awakens) or something completely different and taking a chance (The Last Jedi). Maybe letting go of the past, and to coin a phase from Walt, keep moving forward, could work in the end.

Attraction Layout
ellen-merged-final-1.jpg

From the site to not be named, they got an exclusive outline of what the attraction layout would look like. According to our insiders, whom I trust more, the layout is roughly correct, but take it with a grain of salt. So I won't go into too much detail here but suffice it to say, the original Universe of Energy Pavilion (which is huge) will be used for the queue and load, with the attraction zooming off into a 133 foot tall show-building built behind it.
1212121212.JPG

Queue
1017guardians-of-the-galaxy-coaster.jpg

The queue appears to take us to Xandar, the home of the Nova Corps in the film, who as of the MCU pre-Infinity War, is the planet that holds the 'Power Stone' - one of 6 infinity stones of the universe, that grants its user endless strength. In The Avengers, another Infinity Stone, the Space Stone, was used by Nick Fury and S.H.I.E.L.D. as an energy source for weapons. Since all 6 of the Stones seem to emit some sort of energy force to them, its possible this attraction could include themes of energy, the power of energy, and the responsibility of us to be the 'guardians' of that ultimate power, and use it for good.

Something along those lines could be a general theme, but since the attraction is a roller-coaster, I doubt much of it will be explored within the context of the attraction. Based on the outline and rumors, the coaster appears to have a launch tunnel, but according to insiders, and even in the D23 Convention - the roller-coaster will be a family friendly attraction. There are also rumors of there being no Animatronics in the attraction, and the coaster being large projections of outer space throughout, running about 90 seconds.

My guess would be something similar to this action scene in Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2. You have to launch off with Peter Quill and the Milano to hide the Power Stone from (though this might be too on the nose) The Black Order. The Black Order in the films is a group of Thanos' children, of which Gamora and Nebula are as well, though its unclear if they are a part of the Order. Nevertheless, that would tie in not only to Guardians but Infinity War as well...sneaking in a subtle Avengers reference even though they can't use the Avengers in Walt Disney World.

Space Battle

-----

Overall, I'm cautiously optimistic about this attraction. I think bringing something new and innovative to the parks is a bold risk, and it will be interesting to see how it all plays out in 2021!

Thank you all for reading and check back tonight for a few more entries as we continue to build towards the 50th Anniversary Celebration!

Timon_1994

I just wanted to agree with you wholeheartedly! First post here too, and like you I love reading imagineering projects. But this thread does it differently in a way that makes them feel real. Will continue to follow along!

spacemt354

Chili's
Original Poster
Brave New World
Merida's Brave Journey
Spring 2021
brave-merida-hi-res.jpg

When @MonorailRed first suggested to do a United Kindgom Pavilion attraction based on Brave, I immediately thought, hmm a dystopian dark ride based on the English novel Brave New World by Aldous Huxley where guests are put through psychological manipulation to then classically condition them to be Disney fans forever.

Then I remembered we are working on a realism project and she meant the Disney/Pixar film Brave

Ah, what could have been...maybe for another thread:joyfull:

Nevertheless, the United Kingdom Pavilion in Epcot has been the talk of rumors regarding a new attraction coming not only for Walt Disney World's 50th Anniversary, but also for Epcot's 40th Anniversary in 2022. World Showcase, with the inclusion after Frozen Ever After, including Coco, Ratatouille, and now Brave, is continuing to make cultural continuity a main factor in the new IP insertions. And Brave is no exception. While many people refer to the UK Pavilion is 'England' - there are many Celtic references throughout the pavilion, and Brave being one of Disney/Pixar's most culturally driven films along with Coco, makes it a perfect match for the pavilion.
a1c99b29ae7d9ce6f7dc2ab5bbf578e0.jpg

Rumors have swirled recently, that a more traditional dark ride was/is on the table for the UK Pavilion. A B/C ticket in the sense of a more 'by the books' dark ride - which makes my mind go straight to Snow White's Scary Adventures.

A female driven story that takes guests through her film's journey but not a book report of the film. Those traditional dark rides take elements from the films and make them into something that combines the cliff notes of the film with your own adventure through the film.

It should be noted however, that while it seemed as if a Brave traditional dark ride was coming, as of writing this, it seems to be off the table and in favor of another, IP, rumored to be a Mary Poppins carousel, but that is unconfirmed.

Since we already have Mary Poppins in the Park replacing the Beauty and the Beast Live on Stage show at Disney's Hollywood Studios - despite the recent rumors, we are going to stick to our gut and add a traditional dark ride attraction to the United Kingdom Pavilion.

Attraction Layout
2017-12-15.png

Thanks to the photoshop job of Red, we are able to take the former showbuilding of Snow White's Scary Adventures in the Magic Kingdom, and plop it down in the back corner of the UK Pavilion - to illustrate that there is plenty of room for a traditional style dark ride, without having to edit any of the backstage roads. The access to both the International Gateway building and the festival tent to the right of the pavilion above would both not be affected by the size of the show building. The only element of the UK Pavilion affected would be the British Revolution band gazebo, which could be moved to a different location, possibly along the World Showcase Lagoon, or a new stage in between Canada and UK that would be shared by both Off Kilter (the Canadian band) and the British Revolution.

Many months ago I tried to recreate Snow White's Scary Adventures for another project, but these illustrations could essentially be used to represent what the interior of a traditional dark ride would look like. Following a guided track, you'd follow Merida as she encounters the will' o the wisp, transforms her mother into a bear, and has to save the kingdom from Mor'du.

The title of the attraction, Merida's Brave Journey -- is a combination of both the name styles of Pinocchio's Daring Journey and Snow White's Scary Adventures -- two of the dark rides that this attraction is inspired by.
3432928909904418419%253Faccount_id%253D9

5092821030982675526%253Faccount_id%253D9

Queue and Facade

open-uri20150608-27674-izlhe_00145637.jpeg

So as to not completely be disjointed from the more bright and 'perfect' UK representation the pavilion provides, the gates of the Dunbroch clan and the stone facade will be enveloped with a dense forest, so it appears as if the main town center of the UK Pavilion has ended, and the attraction leads us north into the wilds of the Celtic forest. The queue takes us to Medieval Scotland and the introduction to the Dunbroch clan which is told through visuals of the family members, including the attraction's main character Merida.

Attraction Ride-Through
latest

As you board medieval carriages used throughout the forest to deliver goods and tools, at the foothills of the castle, you ride off on a journey where you see Merida running away from her princess life after an argument with her mother, Queen Elinor, and following the will o' the wisp into the forest, as the doors open into the next scene.
Pixar-All-Films-Within-the-Same-Universe-650x362.jpg

An elderly witch and Merida bargain and she is eventually given a spell in the form of a cake that will change her fate forever. She then gives the cake to her mother, Queen Elinor, who transforms into a bear, using a rather simple technique.

As the scene transitions from Queen Elinor to the bear, the ride vehicle goes through a very brief dark doorway that masks the transition into a new room that identical to the previous room. So to the rider, it appears that Elinor transformed in front of our eyes.
621592_515584471804650_249104025_o-1200x501.jpg

The ride proceeds through the forest as Elinor and Merida go to find the witch to no avail, as she has disappeared. Their journey leads them to a demon bear Mor'du as a voiceover depicts that Merida's only hope is to mend the bond torn by pride before the second sunrise to lift the curse, or her mother will end up like Mor'du.
brave-image-slice.jpg

War is about to break out between the clans as you race back to the castle grounds, to find that Elinor is losing her humanity, and is mistaken for Mor'du, and as Merida insists that King Fergus, her father, listen, he locks her away and as you transition into the next scene, you see the triplets eating the cake and transforming into cubs.
brave__mor_du_by_frie_ice-d6ul1af.jpg

With Elinor captured in the next scene, Mor'du arrives and only through voiceover from the characters do you hear Merida intervene from her father, and her mother Elinor protecting the clan and her daughter from Mor'du, who is crushed by a menhir.

In the finale scene, Merida and her mother work on a new tapestry, having grown and bonded together as the other clans leaving in the distance and the ride vehicles move towards the unload station with the song Touch the Sky playing in the background
f591655ef94898c6af0259fe7d947218.png

------
With Merida's Brave Journey - a C-Ticket traditional style dark ride at the United Kingdom Pavilion - not only will it offer a new attraction to experience, it will, in the age of new technologically immersive attractions, be a 'back to basics' attraction that would blend in seamlessly with the pavilion. It will also help balance World Showcase by providing two attractions on the west side (Ratatouille and Brave) with the east side (Coco and Frozen) spreading out the crowds in the process.

Thank you for reading, I hope you enjoyed the attraction! I know some people were really interested in this one so if you have any suggestions or thoughts feel free to leave them below! :)

Throwback Time
@tcool123 for The Sorcerer's Apprentice Season 3 in 2015 designed a traditional style dark ride based on Brave for a prompt that required the players to design Walt Disney World's 5th Theme Park. The Brave attraction went in a Celtic Forest section of a mythological theme park - Inventus, which ended up winning him the competition!
http://sas3teamo.wixsite.com/inventus/the-celtic-forest

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom