5 Worst Universal Orlando Attractions

dxwwf3

Original Poster
Wow, how things can change over time. Now I'm sort of sick of the entire UO complex and I'm taking a few years off. I rode ET last year and I liked it much better the 2nd time around, however.

coasterphil

The absolute worst attraction at Universal is Back to the Future. The movements don't synch up with the video well so I felt like throwing up when I got off the ride. Plus it seems like the quality of the video isn't great, the picture is grainy. If they did a new movie and ride sequence I still think it could be a star attraction.

Earthquake and Jaws really show their age as well. Something needs to be done to make those a little more exciting.

Earthquake has got to go. I used to love it as a kid but it is almost comical now it is so bad.

Woody Woodpecker bites too...

I actually have a soft spot for twister. Although the line is more exciting than the attraction and it should DEFINITELY have been a jeep ride.

BRER STITCH

The absolute most fun we had at Universal on my first trip a few years ago was in the Curious George's Water Park area. There we were, a couple of "30-something" guys having an absolute blast soaking others and getting soaked in return. :lol: The very first time I walked into the area, I had no idea what that ringing bell meant, and never saw that huge barrel of water about to fall on my head. :eek: After that I was so soaked, there was nothing to do but play in the water some more! :D

I've only been to both Universal Parks twice, and there was a 3 year gap in between and I have to honestly say I had a great time on both occasions! Perhaps it's not a park that can be visited more often than that without losing some of the excitement???

While some rides were more exciting than others, I like the parks overall and look forward to returning again.

:sohappy:

ISTCPilot1989

1. Earthquake
2. Jimmy Neutron's Nicktoon Blast
3. Twister
4. The Nick Studios without the tour of all the sets
5. Animal Planet Live

beyondthepalace

DigitalDisney said:
Beetlejuice Show - Saw it once. Have no desire to ever see it again.

Poseidon's Fury - The entrance is awesome, and the show's finale and water vortex are also cool as hell. But the first two parts and the waiting area are annoying and claustrophobic.

Nuthouse Coaster - Wow. It's short. It's unthemed. Most of the time there's only one train on the track (if it even supports two?). Even though it's essentially the same as Goofy's Barnstormer, I'll take the Barnstormer any day. And the Flying Unicorn blows them both away.

Earthquake - The wait sucks. The preshows suck. The ride is pretty lame too.

USF's Nighttime Fireworks - They're pretty lame. I'll only see 'em because it lets me stay in the park past closing, so I can see it at night.

The Nuthouse Coaster can only support one train. Track is too short.

Poseidon's Fury Version 2- The original made sense with everything, now it is all mixed up.

Earthquake- Too long of a build up to a few seconds of shaking.

Storm Force- spin...whoo...spin

ET- The animatronics look worse then POTC! (not saying I hate POTC cause I love the ride, just the animatronics are starting to get dated.

and I will also agree with above USF Shooting Stars Fireworks- Same fireworks show for every single night/holiday. Ugh. IOA's original show was amazing!

crazydaveh

There's nothing I really hate, but I never go on BTTF anymore, and will only get on Earthquake if there is no wait.

I hope this year's new nighttime fireworks fun is better than last years! It can't get any worse!

DisneySaint

You guys are reminding me why Universal, for me, is starting to become a snooze.

- BTTF was cool the first time I rode it, but every time thereafter I just spend my time looking at the other cars and complaining that the video is so old and grainy. Seriosuly, get with the HD picture, people. BTTF is a movie that almost must have a ride - but is Universal afraid of upgrading or something?

- T2:3D, again, was good the first time. The show is well themed, the pre-show is great the first time, but once you've seen it once or twice, it's just kinda "bleh" past then.

- Jimmmy Neutron's Nicktoon Blast is probably one of the worst rides I've ever seen. Hanna Barbara was at least mildly entertaining, but Jimmy serves up a whole new dish of boredom.

- Twister I like simply because the queue is cool as hell, but the attraction itself is way over-hyped and not that big a deal. It would be so much cooler as a ride where you ride in one of those yellow trucks with Dorothy on the back.

- Mummy I've only ridden once but it was spectacular when I did. Very different and it should serve as a guide to Universal on how to do queues, rides, effects, etc.

- Men in Black I thought was the greatest thing ever the first time I rode it. Every time thereafter I get no more thrill out of it than I do Buzz.

- Monster Makeup show is the only original thing around and remains one of the hidden gems of Universal.

- Lucy:A Tribute I never see anyone in, so I have no idea why it hangs around.

I dunno, something about Universal is losing its flavor for me. For years I thought it was well on par with any Disney park, but it loses its novelty quick and their lack of innovation, new rides, or upgrading former one's is why they have seen nothing but profit loss lately.

Sketch105

As someone whose worked there, theres plenty of love about Universal.

And now, on with some bashing.

1.) Earthquake's preshows- I hate them now. Back in the day, that old mall scene was fun, because plenty of people got to be in it, and it was always interesting. Now its the same as MGM (someone gets dowsed with water), and only four people are picked. I love the ride itself, so if I could just skip the preshows I would ride it all the time.

2.) The new Poseidon's Fury- First one was better. Darkenon is such a cliche villian. Posiedon looks like the old Zeus.

3.) Shrek 4D- I'm tired of sitting through that long preshow which recaps the whole first film, plus the added build up to being "tortured".

I don't need to watch a whole episode of the Muppets to see Muppetvision, I dont' need to watch an episode of Jimmy Nuetron to enjoy "Nicktoon Blast", and we dont' need to watch Back to the Future to enjoy BTTF..why must the whole damn movie be recapped? This film made millions of dolalrs domestically and overseas, and so did its sequel. Theres plenty enough familiarily to drop this tidbit. You sum it up with this: Shrek and Fiona are on their honeymoon..Lord Farquad is back from the dead. Bing Bang Boom you're done.

4.) Jurassic Park- Only one real big attraction. Nuff said. :)

dxwwf3

Original Poster
Sketch105 said:
2.) The new Poseidon's Fury- First one was better. Darkenon is such a cliche villian. Posiedon looks like the old Zeus.

I completely agree. That would replace ET on my original list. The show is like a Hercules TV show ripoff. And a bad one at that. The original show was SO much better.

Before I give my Top 5, I'll make a few notes:

I agree completely with the Pop music played around the parks. I think it completely ruins the effect of themeing of each area. They used to have either seperate "themed" music or all of the ride themes play throughout.. Jaws, BTTF, ET, Hitchcock, etc. It drew my excitement alot quicker!

The other thing I hate which I've never seen discussed is the "carnival" games in places such as the Lost Continent. I think it's extremely inappropriate & ruins the effect.

Onto the TOP 5 worst attractions:

1. Earthquake - I like the actual ride, but the pre-show is terrible, in my opinion. I've only seen it a few times & it sounds like such a spiel, it's annoying. The area with the U-571 ship is not really funny after one viewing, & the falling rescue climber gets old quick. It really has very little to do with Earthquake. I'd rather have a quick moving line & wait w/o seeing all of those pointless areas. I would much rather look at the props/models/behind the scenes videos while I wait in line & am moving.

2. Back to the Future - I hate to put this one up there.. I love the movies, & love the premise of the ride, it's just old & not fun! I laugh at Doc's actions & spastic behavior in the pre-load, however, ride simulators are a thing of the past. As much as I try to immerse myself into that ride, I don't get into it much anymore. (which I believe is in part of growing up & liking more wild of rides). I have always thought the actual BTTF ride building was pathetic. I never understood why the lines were outside. It is torture standing in line for that ride in the summer time.. it may be shaded, but some days it just doesn't help. I think BTTF has some great potential for queue. They could've really propped up Doc's "lab" & made it interesting inside with props to look at, etc. When you're loaded into the small & very tight "pre show" rooms it feels very dated, hot, & cramped. I always go on it, but it's just an aging attraction.

3. Posideon's Fury - I'm not actually bashing the attraction, but it's design. I enjoy this show & think it has a great setting & entertainment value. The inside & outside looks awesome & really belongs in the Lost Continent. I do, however, have a major pet peave with lines that use the "mob movement" technique. Essentially when you force a large group of people into a fairly small area & then move them to another area without any ropes, rails, or guides. I like this show, but hate how you are required to push your way to the rails & often have a poor view. I would love it if they had "aisles" that you stayed within, so you weren't fighting to get to the next scene.

4. Storm Force Acceleration - lacks the originality compared to the other rides. A fancy name for tea cups.

5. Twister: Ride it Out - Maybe I've been on this ride too many times, but like Earthquake, I hate how long it takes to get to the actual show! I realize it helps the flow of the line & keeps people entertained, but I can only watch that opening video about tornadoes & the making of a movie from 1994 so many times. I actually enjoy the show, but not how long it takes to get to it! I wish there was an Express line right to that! :sohappy:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom