4th Gate General (Rumors/News/Speculation)

ArchieAndrews

Original Poster
I don't have time to look it up right now, but one of the land use plans submitted to Orlando for the new property had something that appeared to be a transportation system between the new hotel area (the 20 acre plots on Uni Blvd) and the new park area (340 acre). I believe it appeared to link to a transportation system for the Convention Center. I doubt Florida will build that elevated transportation system any time soon, but clearly Universal is thinking about it.
Yep
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/tourism/os-cfb-tourism-column-05302016-20160527-story.html
http://www.wftv.com/news/local/plan...use-tangle-of-transportation-issues/313758402

BubbaQuest

That's the one! Thanks! It's possible this may be a hotel-only transport system like the water taxis, but if this is publicly accessible from Point Plaza and Uni Blvd, it seems like a great way to get all the Convention Center hotel folks into a brand new park.

Even without a new transit system, I think it's only about 3-4 miles from the new site to the existing parks. I believe Animal Kingdom to Magic Kingdom is 12(!) miles.

ArchieAndrews

Original Poster
Even without a new transit system, I think it's only about 3-4 miles from the new site to the existing parks. I believe Animal Kingdom to Magic Kingdom is 12(!) miles.
I have faith that they'll probably look to do some sort of transport system that brings people between the two main sites and likely with a stop at the land Wet n' Wild is at. Maybe also a stop for Cabana/VB and maybe one for both Portofino and Hard Rock. Maybe I'm getting a bit greedy there though.

I feel like it also should have some sort of way to cover up the windows so people don't have to look at some of the eye sores in the area.

DisneyDaver

I have faith that they'll probably look to do some sort of transport system that brings people between the two main sites and likely with a stop at the land Wet n' Wild is at.

What makes you think this? I confess I don't know anything about any new plans, but buses will likely be the cheapest way to move guests between areas. I can't imagine Universal would want to spend money on an overhead transportation system.

ArchieAndrews

Original Poster
What makes you think this? I confess I don't know anything about any new plans, but buses will likely be the cheapest way to move guests between areas. I can't imagine Universal would want to spend money on an overhead transportation system.
Multiple reasons.

1. Their main competition is Disney, a lot of the reason people like it is because everything feels like one area. Using busses will lower this sort of feeling, nobody really likes to deal with them. They realize this and they originally built the Blvd to support some sort of transport. They're even looking into some sort of transport to Volcano Bay so people don't have to walk there or take a bus.

2. Blueprints already surfaced showing some sort of transport between the smaller properties and the main park they're building on the South plot of land. They're already considering transport for that, so it's for sure something in the cards.

3. A bus will need to have windows of some sort, there's a lot of stuff they probably aren't crazy about showing people there (eye sores in Orlando as well as competition). They already aren't happy about the giant Skyplex being built. If they do something like Hogwarts Express, they could make it where people don't have to see things like that.

In general, recently Universal has been going all out to not compromise quality with their latest creations. I don't feel they're going to stop with the busses vs. a monorail or whatever they choose. Maybe I'm being overly optimistic, but I'm pretty confident they'll carry through with this.

trr1

Multiple reasons.

. Blueprints already surfaced showing some sort of transport between the smaller properties and the main park they're building on the South plot of land. They're already considering transport for that, so it's for sure something in the cards.
please share I would love to see them

ArchieAndrews

Original Poster

DisneyDaver

In general, recently Universal has been going all out to not compromise quality with their latest creations.

Really? From what I understand, Escape from Gringott's was really watered down and shortened compared to what it was initially planned. Universal has done some great things this decade, but I wouldn't say they have gone all out. Even after reading your email, I still don't see the final transportation product being anything more interesting than buses. If Universal builds a great 4th gate, the guests will go. I can't see attendance being any higher if the transportation there is "cooler" than buses ... and when Universal see the relative costs (i.e. the buses will be cheaper), I am confident they will come to the same conclusion.

ArchieAndrews

Original Poster
Really? From what I understand, Escape from Gringott's was really watered down and shortened compared to what it was initially planned.
I know a lot of people weren't as big a fan of it, but it still was undeniably a well done ride. The whole new Harry Potter section is some top of the line quality stuff. Also, the new Kong ride even if people weren't a fan had a really well built atmosphere, probably the best animatronic I've seen and I was satisfied with it.

If Universal builds a great 4th gate, the guests will go. I can't see attendance being any higher if the transportation there is "cooler" than buses ... and when Universal see the relative costs (i.e. the buses will be cheaper), I am confident they will come to the same conclusion.
I'd disagree. First of all, I think the biggest thing isn't just Universal wanting people to go to a park. They've been pretty adamant about putting all these hotels down and it's clear that they're interested in becoming a vacation spot. As of now, the parks they have don't really justify most people staying there for a week, even if you throw in SeaWorld and Wet n' Wild.

If they link the two spots together, it'll really feel like it's all part of the same experience. People are a lot more excited about getting on a Monorail, than they would be boarding a bus and having it drive over there (especially with the waiting being so much more intense). I know my brother first hand when I told him you could take a tram or walk to Volcano Bay said that makes him actually interested in the Waterpark. He normally skips the waterparks when you have to take a bus to get to them. I also know, there are other people like that from reading online. It's not just about some person thinking "should I go to Universal or not?", it's "should I go to Universal, Disney or some other place?". If the places are linked I think it in general is just a lot more convincing than "you just have to take a bus for five miles to access the other half of Universal".

JT3000

3. A bus will need to have windows of some sort, there's a lot of stuff they probably aren't crazy about showing people there (eye sores in Orlando as well as competition). They already aren't happy about the giant Skyplex being built. If they do something like Hogwarts Express, they could make it where people don't have to see things like that.

In a world where Disneyland uses dirty city buses to transport people from their parking lot to the parks, in an area uglier than Universal Boulevard, I doubt Universal will waste money trying to deliver an experience like the HE. Besides, people already know they're in the 'burbs. They saw it on the way in.

Really? From what I understand, Escape from Gringott's was really watered down and shortened compared to what it was initially planned. Universal has done some great things this decade, but I wouldn't say they have gone all out.

Just about every project in any of the parks is the victim of budget cuts. People enjoy what they get without having any idea what they didn't get.

BubbaQuest

Actually blue prints is the wrong word, sorry my bad. But there were plans of sorts made and draw ups, maybe schematics is the right word? I posted it earlier in the thread.^^

Almost there :) It was part of the land use plan submitted to Orange County for the newly acquired land. Universal is asking the new land to be it's own "theme park subdistrict" (number 8 on the submitted map). Included on the map from Universal is a clearly labeled "transportation connection" next to Uni Blvd. http://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/blog/2016/05/universals-proposed-changes-to-i-drive-add-new.html

What gets interesting is if Universal is proposing this new "transportation connection" to be part of the "rail from the Orlando International Airport to the Orange Country Convention Center": http://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/blog/2016/05/universal-i-drive-area-plans-include-rail-road.html

Last edited:

DisneyDaver

Just about every project in any of the parks is the victim of budget cuts. People enjoy what they get without having any idea what they didn't get.

I agree. I was responding to his point that Universal has been "going all out" ... not that people don't enjoy Escape from Gringott's. Universal has done some great study but as you correctly point out ... just about every project gets budget cuts. That is exactly my point ... even if proposed, this "monorail" like transportation system would likely get cut due to costs.

DisneyDaver

If they link the two spots together, it'll really feel like it's all part of the same experience. People are a lot more excited about getting on a Monorail, than they would be boarding a bus and having it drive over there (especially with the waiting being so much more intense). I know my brother first hand when I told him you could take a tram or walk to Volcano Bay said that makes him actually interested in the Waterpark. He normally skips the waterparks when you have to take a bus to get to them. I also know, there are other people like that from reading online. It's not just about some person thinking "should I go to Universal or not?", it's "should I go to Universal, Disney or some other place?". If the places are linked I think it in general is just a lot more convincing than "you just have to take a bus for five miles to access the other half of Universal".

I agree that there are people who get more exciting if the parks are linked together. But, at the end of day, I think Universal will decide that the funds that could be used for this transportation system, would be better used elsewhere (perhaps a few additional new rides). There will always be a budget and Universal will have to decide which items to cut from the original plan. I strongly suspect it's the transportation system that will be cut instead of additional cuts to the number of rides in the new gate.

We will see ...

ArchieAndrews

Original Poster
We will see ...
Only time can tell with stuff like this, all speculation for now.

In a world where Disneyland uses dirty city buses to transport people from their parking lot to the parks, in an area uglier than Universal Boulevard, I doubt Universal will waste money trying to deliver an experience like the HE. Besides, people already know they're in the 'burbs. They saw it on the way in.
It's not just about making sure they never see it (even on the way to Disney you see some pretty odd areas), it's more trying to make Universal feel like a contained resort and experience while you're there. I think Universal will want to shoot higher than busses if possible is all.

Fair point though.

AJO

I could see them building an elevated transport system between the 2 sites in the form of a gondola, or something similar. People love gondola rides, and they would be changing an annoying chore (taking a bus) into a desirable experience. It would also be cheaper and less disruptive to construct than a monorail,and a fleet of buses on those roads would be a nightmare.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom