4th Gate General (Rumors/News/Speculation)

rd805

Uh excuse me, but Walt Disney World is about to open up one of the most expensive lands ever in theme park history this next summer, as well as in a few years debuting star wars land, along the way they will be opening Toy Story Land, getting new night time entertainment, and new rides in all parks. What Universal has been doing will and has been catching up to them, using the same ride ideas and screens just makes the parks boring. I for one am willing to admit i love both the harry potter areas and Spiderman, but the rest of universal to me lacks anything really good. However i must say Hollywood Studios seems to be going in the same direction as Universal, with the majority of rides being screen based.

You still sound absurd. Avatar land will hopefully be done by May 2017 -- and that is VERY hopeful --- after being announced Sept 2011. Toy Story Land, Star Wars Land, any other addition are NOWHERE NEAR completion. We'll be lucky to see any of this within 3 years. By that point, Universal will also have the new Jimmy Fallon attraction AND Fast and the Furious completed. I also anticipate a new Nintendo themed IP rumor to be announced within the next 2 years as well. Disney is 100% playing catch-up, and that is not a bad thing. They can't go 3-5 years again without something new. I hope they realize this.

Voxel

President of Progress City
You still sound absurd. Avatar land will hopefully be done by May 2017 -- and that is VERY hopeful --- after being announced Sept 2011. Toy Story Land, Star Wars Land, any other addition are NOWHERE NEAR completion. We'll be lucky to see any of this within 3 years. By that point, Universal will also have the new Jimmy Fallon attraction AND Fast and the Furious completed. I also anticipate a new Nintendo themed IP rumor to be announced within the next 2 years as well. Disney is 100% playing catch-up, and that is not a bad thing. They can't go 3-5 years again without something new. I hope they realize this.
I'll be honest, I'm interested in seeing what they do for those two attractions But Jimmy Fallon doesn't shout attraction to me. I'm struggling to understand this one. But based on the recent IP acquisitions Uni has been making over the last few years it will be interesting to see what comes out of the new 4th gate. I have a strong feeling that Nintendo will make it's appearance in the 4th gate, as for other themes I'm not sure. I know there was talk of LotR but that's out of the question now based on stories from the Tolkien Family. The next 5-10 years will be interesting for the Orlando Area.

Tom Morrow

Disney is not playing "catch up" as long as they still have two gates on Universal, and two more phoned-in screen based rides aren't even going to make Disney flinch.

Last edited:

rawisericho

Yeah! Super excited about that Jimmy Fallon ride.

How do I do a sarc mark?

rawisericho

Ya- I enjoyed it quite a bit. Did you ride Frozen Ever After? They both took the same amount of time to complete, but the difference is one is just a convoluted layover of a previous attraction while the other adds immense capacity and is an entirely new attraction. You don't have to enjoy Kong- but it's not like they ripped out the Mummy and put it in it's place. Its a net gain to the resort overall.

Where to start....
First, let's go ahead and discredit the 2 biggest projects Orlando has seen in the last 6 years off as a whim to try to make it sound like Universal isn't doing anything. Guess what- you can't just throw HP to the side, it's the best thing any park in the US has, bar none.

Just in those 6 years- here is the list of new attractions that were't Harry Potter, and when you compare it to Disney, it's hilarious.
-Spiderman Upgrade, Reign of Kong, Incredible Hulk Rebuild, Transformers, Simpson's land built w/ shops, restaurants and Twirl n' Hurl. 3 new rides, 2 massive redos, and a new land- and that's in addition to the 3 entirely new rides, 2 massive lands, and 2 ride rethemes of HP. That's not big? Again- 6 new rides, 3 new lands, 4 ride redo/rethemes in just 6 (actually 5) years. That's freakin mammoth, man.
2 Brand new hotels on property that constantly sell out and over doubled their on-site capacity isn't big?
A ridiculous water park that is walking distance and On-site to all their resorts/properties isn't big? This will be the #1 water park attendance in the United States in 2018- passing both TL and BB- there's not doubt- simply based on location alone. But that's not big?
Kong a roadside attraction- I'm guessing you haven't ridden it? The queue itself is awesome. You can dislike the ride, but to call it a roadside attraction is comical. The screens are massive and the individual wheel hydraulics are pretty incredible in their own right- just from a technical standpoint- it's pretty damn impressive.

Comparing the two maps? What a joke... Just drive by Volcano Bay- it's freakin ludicrous the size of that Volcano. You can actually see it from the Epcot Hotels- and when it will eventually light up at night and erupt red "volcano" water that you can see from within WDW's resorts- that's pretty epic. But of course, the resort map doesn't look as good as TL's park map- so it must not be as good.
Listen to yourself...

Right....

The bottom line is Universal is building and expanding at a rate that is reminiscent of the greatest era in WDW history- the Disney Decade. And that shouldn't be tossed aside. They are now the trend setter, and Disney is trying to follow their lead- not the other way around.

Yeah I dug Frozen, same layout but the Olaf animatronic is one of the most amazing I've ever seen. Elsa and company look great too.

Kong was immersive too! I felt like I was ACTUALLY in a movie theater watching ty CGI on a green screen. Oh and Kong was amazing! So much better than Kongfrontation, my favorite part was how he stood there and didn't do anything.

rd805

Yeah! Super excited about that Jimmy Fallon ride.

How do I do a sarc mark?

More just the idea that they are coming out with new Attractions on a yearly basis. Whether they are amazing, or average -- replacing the Twister walk through silly experience with something else is good news!

I can think of many Disney attractionsthat should have been gutted, updated, or full out changed years ago...

Princess Leia

When/If Universal adds a third park (or fourth, if you include Volcano Bay), I can see 1920s Magical New York City being included, if the movies use that location again. Apparently the next Fantastic Beasts film will go back to Europe, but it's possible they'll come back to the States.

If they don't, they'll find a way to include the Ministry of Magic somewhere in Universal Orlando. If IOA's HP island gets an expansion, I have the feeling it will be related to the TriWizard Tourney or the Forbidden Forest.

imperius

I just dont see them adding another New York City setting (marvel area, also street in universal) to the parks. Would universal ever consider expanding Harry Potter? It already takes up such a massive foot print and currently has 6 attractions/rides.
You don't think Universal would want to further expand their money making Harry Potter machine?

jbphotos

ok so i think a good idea for the new park would be a tribute to all classic films in the universal history.

for example have each land distinguished by era like a 1920s+ land that's completely painted black & white.

it'd be a good way to revamp rides like ET, Jaws, & Back to the future in fresh new ways while bringing in classic IPs they've never tackled before in the parks.

Universal Studios is more focused on bringing new IPs in while this could be a way to pay tribute to the companies history while keeping things fresh and new.

JustInTime

I think Fantastic Beasts is pretty much a guarantee to come to the parks. Could you imagine a dark ride through Newt'a suitcase?! It would be perfect. It could be a family or a thrill ride depending on which direction they want to take. But I think that they will save that for the next park. I could also see them doing a ministry of magic type area. And obvious a Zelda land and then the long rumored Lord of the Rings land. How to train your dragon. I think the next park will be a fantasy based park.

HauntedMansionFLA

From Bioreconstruct

Nov 27
bioreconstruct ‏@bioreconstruct
Looking across Universal's new property. Imagine, say, 2 theme parks, hotels, dining. It will be exciting when actual plans are announced!

Nov 27
Universal's new property is at Destination Pwy at a curve near the UCF-Rosen entrance. Canal at SW corner.

Nov 27
Volcano Bay and both new Cabana Bay towers seen from near a corner of Universal's new property.

UCF

Buses are about it. Universal won't be able to use public right away for a private transportation system. The city will keep those right of ways for any public transportation systems of the future. Unless Universal has figure out how to use private land to get back and forth to the new land?
I wonder what the chances are they'll make it part of a larger transit system. Their proposed transit route lines up fairly close with where the proposed Orlando Maglev route ends, and if it just follows Pointe Plaza Ave for the 2000 ft or so it could be the same system. That would give Universal a connection to the airport and its Brightline higher speed train service to Miami, along with a connection to the convention center to allow them to possibly tap into getting more visitors from that market.

This has a map of the proposed maglev route:
media.bizj.us/view/img/2940591/maglev-stations.png

UCF

Meglev project is dead.
The same project is proposed using light rail in place of maglev now. Plus the company that wants to build it still wants maglev, its just the airport saying no to maglev (for seemingly no reason, I don't know why they care)

BrerJon

So, those gondolas Disney is putting up... Might they have got wind that a rival might have been planning a similar system to link their resorts?

I'd like to see a possible route map for a gondola line from USO to the Lockheed site, and a comparison in terms of distance with the Disney proposal.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom