Rumor 40% Capacity Soon? What if I Told You That We’re Already There

The Visionary Soul

Original Poster
My sources are telling me that WDW has increased the park capacity from 35% to 40%. This happened on January 1st, and it was a part of the park hopping rollout. You probably will see the difference in the parks when visiting in the days ahead. Also, all parks now allow same-day reservations beginning around 1:30pm. Even if the calendars say there are no reservations available, even if there are no reservations available on the same morning, you will be able to book for the same-day for any park beginning around 1:30pm. This is true for all ticket types. This is to prevent the need for someone to visit one park just to enter and then hop to the other park that they couldn’t get a reservation for.

I’m not sure if this was reported before, so I apologize if it was, but I thought the 40% capacity update was newsworthy in its own right.

Also, I’m still posting this in the rumors category simply because I can’t confirm this on paper. Capacity is a finicky thing to define anyway. If anyone can comment or confirm, it would be appreciated.

DISR

I believe most parks were at or near capacity last week. With no real entertainment, some dining outlets closed, capacity limitations on attractions, and retail/dining/extended attraction queues taking up enormous amounts of space, it was very crowded. This will just force more people into crowded bottlenecks. They should make other adjustments if they are going to increase capacity.

ParentsOf4

My sources are telling me that WDW has increased the park capacity from 35% to 40%. This happened on January 1st, and it was a part of the park hopping rollout. You probably will see the difference in the parks when visiting in the days ahead.
Thanks!

My sister visited WDW in November for 2 weeks and is there now.

She reported that it definitely feels more crowded than November.

Here's a link to what I posted 2 days ago:

Report of Heavy Crowds at Magic Kingdom (January 4) | WDWMAGIC - Unofficial Walt Disney World discussion forums

lentesta

Premium Member
My sources are telling me that WDW has increased the park capacity from 35% to 40%. This happened on January 1st, and it was a part of the park hopping rollout. You probably will see the difference in the parks when visiting in the days ahead. Also, all parks now allow same-day reservations beginning around 1:30pm. Even if the calendars say there are no reservations available, even if there are no reservations available on the same morning, you will be able to book for the same-day for any park beginning around 1:30pm. This is true for all ticket types. This is to prevent the need for someone to visit one park just to enter and then hop to the other park that they couldn’t get a reservation for.

I’m not sure if this was reported before, so I apologize if it was, but I thought the 40% capacity update was newsworthy in its own right.

Also, I’m still posting this in the rumors category simply because I can’t confirm this on paper. Capacity is a finicky thing to define anyway. If anyone can comment or confirm, it would be appreciated.

I'm not sure that we (TouringPlans) can get enough data to verify the jump from 35% to 40% - there's a wide enough margin of error in ride throughput measurements, for example, for things like wheelchair accommodations. But it's entirely possible given the recent moves to increase ride capacity.

monothingie

Proxy War 2024: Never Forget
Premium Member
You might want to read what I wrote in the link provided below. Per my sister, the parks feel noticeably more crowded than they did in November.

It seems to me WDW still has demand at 40%, even in the slow January period with no marathons.

Report of Heavy Crowds at Magic Kingdom (January 4) | WDWMAGIC - Unofficial Walt Disney World discussion forums
You should check out Disney hotel reservations. There is a lot of availability for some heavily discounted inventory for dates that you would never expect to see.

MrHappy

We know it's Demand and Supply with WDW. So there must be demand. And they are planning for more demand beginning April 18 with the new discounts.

CJR

You should check out Disney hotel reservations. There is a lot of availability for some heavily discounted inventory for dates that you would never expect to see.

Part of that is they're trying to rely more on Florida residents, a lot of whom have AP's as well. Residents don't like to stay on site due to the parking fees. There's no Magical Express that will pull up to a resident's door and pick them up. If Disney wants to attract Floridians to their hotels, they need to make it more appealing. People are showing up to the parks, but not the hotels. At least, not to the same extent. DVC is doing better, but that's because there's not really any choice.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
EPCOT on Jan 2nd seemed quite busy. TT had a wait of 145mins, Soarin 90mins, MS 75mins, Frozen was nearly 3hrs at one point.

Also, I didn't grab a photo, but the frozen line goes through the entire China pavilion. The line to get into The Land is a spaghetti mess outside.

What I find ironic is -

You can wait in line for over an hour with very little social distancing. Then when you get on - they space out the ride so there is always a row between you and the next family. The same "next" family you've been in line with for the past two hours. I mean I get it. But it's like ordering a large size BigMac combo with a diet coke. Optically it makes you feel better - but does absolutely nothing - except increase the wait time.

DISR

EPCOT on Jan 2nd seemed quite busy. TT had a wait of 145mins, Soarin 90mins, MS 75mins, Frozen was nearly 3hrs at one point.

Also, I didn't grab a photo, but the frozen line goes through the entire China pavilion. The line to get into The Land is a spaghetti mess outside.
EPCOT is my happy place, but I couldn't wait to get out of there last week. The construction, COVID protocols, and closures combine to make it a challenging environment to enjoy and get your money's worth.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
The other dynamic I think is the change in operating hours. When the park is open from say 9 to 10, or 9 to midnight - you have many that will go early for rope drop and head back to the resort in the late afternoon. You'll also have those that 'll get to the park mid-afternoon and stay til close.

With the reduced hours and no FP options - people are getting there at open and staying to close because of the reduced hours. So it's not staggered.

ToTBellHop

Do we know at what percentage of full capacity parks normally operate at pre-pandemic? We know MK only reaches full capacity on a couple holidays, so how much below is a normal day?
That is the issue with this obsession- no one is privy to any knowledge of what they’re talking about. No one here can share the actual capacity of each park and what the percentages mean. Percentage of max? Percentage of typical attendance by day? It’s nonsense.

They’re letting more people in. Obviously. That’s why they aren’t distancing people.

And it’s reckless. Not that I wouldn’t love to be on Tower of Terror right now...

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
That is the issue with this obsession- no one is privy to any knowledge of what they’re talking about. No one here can share the actual capacity of each park and what the percentages mean. Percentage of max? Percentage of typical attendance by day? It’s nonsense.

They’re letting more people in. Obviously. That’s why they aren’t distancing people.

And it’s reckless. Not that I wouldn’t love to be on Tower of Terror right now...

Just head to Fantasmic! and get in line. 😉

Disstevefan1

They can attach whatever number they want, but looking at YouTube, the Magic kingdom and DHS, it looks MOBBED, not as MOBBED as pre COVID, but still MOBBED and I am talking after Jan. 1

WDW and Universal Orlando are full steam ahead! To be honest they have to be in order to survive. Folks that don’t feel safe are free to not go. My last visit was Nov. 2019. I have no idea when I will be back.

Magenta Panther

Assuming the "upgrades" to the Tower haven't messed it up, so would I...

M:SpilotISTC12

My big fear is that they won't have the operational staff to run attractions at full capacity with the increase in attendance. Length of the line doesn't bother me so much as the actual wait time. It seems like times are getting longer and longer despite the supposed 40%. These wait times are entering prepandemic level that had a much bigger attendance. Anybody think that this is a slight concern for things moving forward as we someday approach "normalcy"?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom