4 Walt Disney World Resorts to accept dogs

GoofGoof

Premium Member
So a business does not have a right to make any decisions if someone already has a reservation?
Do they guarantee that nothing will change from the time of booking until travel dates?
In this case, no they don’t in my opinion. It’s basic customer service. Disney is making extra money off of this policy too. If a business changes a policy to make a larger profit at the expense of existing customers that’s an issue to me. Again, only existing reservations. This could all have been resolved with a better role out with more lead time.

Serious question, why do you feel so strongly that someone that wants to switch resorts should be made to pay? What skin is it off of your back? Just trying to understand the logic.

21stamps

In this case, no they don’t in my opinion. It’s basic customer service. Disney is making extra money off of this policy too. If a business changes a policy to make a larger profit at the expense of existing customers that’s an issue to me. Again, only existing reservations. This could all have been resolved with a better role out with more lead time.

Serious question, why do you feel so strongly that someone that wants to switch resorts should be made to pay? What skin is it off of your back? Just trying to understand the logic.

I think it will be abused like everything else.. and I think the people who will be penalized are the ones who can’t book the deluxe resort that they were willing to pay for.

Half of the reasons here are so far out there.. the allergies and phobias may be legit.. but no I don’t think all people who live in a Fantasy Land of Ceaser Milan dogs should suddenly cause a lack of availability in other resorts.

Last edited:

tnemgif

So if you’re in building 15, and let’s say the closest “dog building” is 24... is that close enough to cause your allergies to act up?
I’m asking, because I don’t know..but would you not live in a closer vicinity to dogs than in that photo? Would you not vacation or spend a night anywhere else that would have dogs within that distance?
I think a lot of the issue boils down to the anxiety of the possibility. Vacations only last a week, but the anticipation is a lot of the fun. If staying in a dog-friendly hotel makes you anxious for any reason, it only makes sense that you would want to change your plans.
But the issue is more complicated if you are passionate about a hotel, like many people are about POR. Do you ‘risk’ the possibility, deal with the anxiety, and keep your reservation? Or do you change hotels?
This anxiety isn’t necessarily rational, but it happens. And I think it’s reasonable that people don’t want to deal with it when they’re paying 2 grand per person for a week’s vacation.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I think it will be abused like everything else.. and I think the people who will be penalized are the ones who can’t book the deluxe resort that they were willing to pay for.

Half of the reasons here are so far out there.. the allergies and phobias may be legit.. but no I don’t think all people who live in a Fantasy Land of Ceaser Milan dogs should suddenly cause a lack of availability in other resorts.
Your problem is with Disney then not the people looking to switch. If they didn’t roll out this policy the way they did it wouldn’t be an issue.

Last edited:

21stamps

Your problem is with Disney then not the people looking to switch. If they didn’t roll out this policy they way they did it wouldn’t be an issue.

Is Disney giving free upgrades to any who want them?

I think a lot of the issue boils down to the anxiety of the possibility. Vacations only last a week, but the anticipation is a lot of the fun. If staying in a dog-friendly hotel makes you anxious for any reason, it only makes sense that you would want to change your plans.
But the issue is more complicated if you are passionate about a hotel, like many people are about POR. Do you ‘risk’ the possibility, deal with the anxiety, and keep your reservation? Or do you change hotels?
This anxiety isn’t necessarily rational, but it happens. And I think it’s reasonable that people don’t want to deal with it when they’re paying 2 grand per person for a week’s vacation.

I don’t know. I think what they did is completely
legit for a business.. even Disney, I think they will try to make a lateral move if available, and if no availability then try to keep away from dogs.. unless someone is willing to pay, maybe split the difference? Not sure, but they can’t fill up deluxe hotels with existing POR reservations or AoA reservations. (I think AoA was the pet friendly value resort, could be wrong on that one).

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Is Disney giving free upgrades to any who want them?

I don’t know. I think what they did is completely
legit for a business.. even Disney, I think they will try to make a lateral move if available, and if no availability then try to keep away from dogs.. unless someone is willing to pay, maybe split the difference? Not sure, but they can’t fill up deluxe hotels with existing POR reservations or AoA reservations. (I think AoA was the pet friendly value resort, could be wrong on that one).

I have a feeling that this will be less of an issue with existing YC and BC reservations.
You keep calling it free upgrades. That’s not what people are asking for. Disney should and will switch people to an equivalent dog free resort if they ask for it. If in the case where an equivalent room is not available they will give them a room in the next level up.

This is hotel customer service 101. When I was at Atlantis a few years back I booked an ocean view room in the cheapest section but they decided to renovate that area so when I checked in they upgraded me to a garden view room in the next level up. When they realized the room they assigned me was not an ocean view room in that area they upgraded me again to the next level up with an ocean view. People probably get room upgrades all the time at WDW for a lot worse reasons.

Wouldn’t they just move YC people to BC? They share the pool area which is off limits to dogs anyway but they have separate front desks and lobby areas. Shouldn’t be an issue unless all of BC is sold out.

Tony the Tigger

We recently cancelled our reservations for ten nights at POR because of this trial. We have called and cannot get a straight answer as to where the dog rooms will be located. I was first told only rooms in buildings 15,24,80 and 95 would be dog rooms. Then I was told that all available standard and garden-view rooms, with no floor restrictions, would be used. Also, that they will have four designated areas so the dogs can "go". Now I see that only 250 rooms out of all the resorts are to be used. really! What is the correct answer?

I understand the frustration in not being able to get a straight answer. I think you'll find this happens across the board with many policies, more important ones and less important ones, not just this one. CM's are CM's (at virtually every big company) and you can call and ask a question one minute and call back and get a different answer from someone else the next. With brand new policies, I'd expect confusion from the average 407-W-Dis operator.

I would hope the CM's working at the specific dog-friendly hotels would have been better trained on this and may be more helpful. If not, and it was important to me, I'd call that hotel and ask for a supervisor if I wasn't confident in the answer I was being given.

With all that being said, the correct answer, IMO, is to book a different hotel if possible.

I just called to try to change resorts for an April trip, currently booked for three rooms at POR. There were no options within our hotel bracket, so we were offered to either downgrade to All-Star/Pop, or pay an additional 1300 per room for Beach Club (Old Key West was available for a little less, but we strongly dislike that hotel). We put in a request to stay in a room that hasn't housed a pet, but it doesn't seem guaranteed. Customer Service seemed just as surprised/unsure of the policy. They were very helpful and friendly, but it's indisputably surprising that Disney isn't offering some sort of contingency plan to guests affected by this.
I break out in hives when I'm in close contact with pet dander, so I'm just trying to avoid oozing during my vacation (or overdosed on Claritin all week). And some members of my party don't handle animals well. This isn't about being angry over the policy, just trying to make our vacation actually enjoyable.

This was a very well-reasoned, non-hysterical post that makes a lot of sense. Would that there were more like this. I hope this ends up working out for you.

What difference would that make?

The picture was posted second or third-hand. For all we know, it could have been taken a few weeks ago during Irma, when dogs were allowed, no dog policy at all was in effect, and I'm guessing that moment was harder to control, if CM's even knew what to do.

Another well-reasoned, well-put post. Thank you. It's easier to empathize with a post like this than with someone taking a fit, as has been the norm on this thread.

I do think this could/should have been rolled out with more notice and better training, and that anyone affected should have been accommodated within reason. (If there are no more rooms, I don't know what they can do.)

21stamps

You keep calling it free upgrades. That’s not what people are asking for. Disney should and will switch people to an equivalent dog free resort if they ask for it. If in the case where an equivalent room is not available they will give them a room in the next level up.

This is hotel customer service 101. When I was at Atlantis a few years back I booked an ocean view room in the cheapest section but they decided to renovate that area so when I checked in they upgraded me to a garden view room in the next level up. When they realized the room they assigned me was not an ocean view room in that area they upgraded me again to the next level up with an ocean view. People probably get room upgrades all the time at WDW for a lot worse reasons.

Wouldn’t they just move YC people to BC? They share the pool area which is off limits to dogs anyway but they have separate front desks and lobby areas. Shouldn’t be an issue unless all of BC is sold out.

I’m using basic math.

I knew POR and AoA were 2 of the largest resorts..

POR- 2048 rooms
AoA- 1984 rooms

YC’s room count as well-

Beach Club has 583 rooms.

POFQ has 1008 rooms.

Saratoga Springs is the largest deluxe by far, 1260 rooms.. the rest are about 700-850.

Two of the moderates are under construction, right? Not sure how many rooms are available now.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
The picture was posted second or third-hand. For all we know, it could have been taken a few weeks ago during Irma, when dogs were allowed, no dog policy at all was in effect, and I'm guessing that moment was harder to control, if CM's even knew what to do.
Agreed, and I clarified that my post was assuming the picture and the story were real. If it’s a fake then I take back the statement on the picture.

Incomudro

Since this isn't one of the resorts that allow dogs this is obviously another issue altogether and I doubt it's related to the new policy at all. Pictures don't tell the whole story. Unless we know more about the guest/dog and what happened after this picture was taken we can't say rules were not enforced. This picture is taken in one of the outer guest buildings and would likely not be seen by cast large portions of the day. Guests have been sneaking dogs in rooms for years.

The dog is on the couch.
The dog is on the couch because the owner permits it.
While I'm the first person to tell you that still images don't tell the whole story - the dog is on the couch.
Think "pet parents" won't let their "fur babies" do similar things in the dog friendly hotels?
Dogs don't belong in hotels.

peter11435

The dog is on the couch.
The dog is on the couch because the owner permits it.
While I'm the first person to tell you that still images don't tell the whole story - the dog is on the couch.
Think "pet parents" won't let their "fur babies" do similar things in the dog friendly hotels?
Dogs don't belong in hotels.
I already acknowledged that the dog being on the couch is breaking a rule no matter what the situation.

But again this has nothing to do with the new pet policy and doesn't prove that they are not going to enforce their own rules.

Incomudro

I already acknowledged that the dog being on the couch is breaking a rule no matter what the situation.

But again this has nothing to do with the new pet policy and doesn't prove that they are not going to enforce their own rules.

What it shows us is a glimpse into what is going to happen.
In no way is this woman an exception when it comes to today's current crop of "pet parents."
People will be allowing their dogs to do things like this, among other unwanted behaviors.
Tell them otherwise, and there is likely to be a problem - because as we see indicated - many think their dogs are their children.

GoofGoof

Premium Member

They should probably just install chips in the sofas. It worked for the soda machines;)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom