4 Walt Disney World Resorts to accept dogs

tnemgif

If you read what @drumbum67 wrote they said the person on the phone was unsure of the policy and couldn’t guarantee the rooms would be dog free. There are also going to be dogs in the lobby and shops and around the rest of the resort too which may cause a problem.

This isn’t asking for an upgrade it’s asking Disney to honor the reservation that the person made. When the reservation was booked the resort was dog free.

I want to be clear, too, that I’m not looking for an upgrade. POR is our first choice and we are willing to move to Coronado or French Quarter (we’ve never stayed at either). But all comparable hotels were booked solid. They offered us suites at Coronado for an additional 2000 per room, which would be over a 50% increase per room package.

Reservation staff seem very uninformed of the new policy. I was told conflicting information during the one phone call. (She was very nice and tried to be incredibly helpful. Not a reflection of her, but of the company’s hasty roll out of the policy.)

Last edited:

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I want to be clear, too, that I’m not looking for an upgrade. POR is our first choice and we are willing to move to Coronado or French Quarter (we’ve never stayed at either). But all comparable hotels were booked solid. They offered us suites at Coronado for an additional 2000 per room, which would be over a 50% increase per room package.

Reservation staff seem very uninformed of the new policy. I was told conflicting information during the one phone call. (She was very nice and tried to be incredibly helpful. Not a reflection of her, but of the company’s hasty roll out of the policy.)
The roll out is a complete mess. You are not the first person to say the phone operators are not sure what the policy is. If I were you I would call back and see if you can find someone who can either confirm the details of the policy or transfer you and wave the fees. Disney has pretty good customer service, but it sometimes takes a little while to find a CM who is empowered to help you.

DABIGCHEEZ

Just saw these 2 pics posted on a DVC Facebook group I belong to. The person said they were taken this week at the Poly. So a few things... why is a non-service dog allowed at Poly? and on the furniture at Poly? and according to the pic taker, the dog "marked" the furniture too. The dog was barking at people as they went by. According to the pic taker, the dog owner was not even paying attention to the dog...

Again, I did not take the pics... I was not there... don't ask me questions about it.

dog wdw1.jpg
dogwdw2.jpg

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Just saw these 2 pics posted on a DVC Facebook group I belong to. The person said they were taken this week at the Poly. So a few things... why is a non-service dog allowed at Poly? and on the furniture at Poly? and according to the pic taker, the dog "marked" the furniture too. The dog was barking at people as they went by. According to the pic taker, the dog owner was not even paying attention to the dog...

Again, I did not take the pics... I was not there... don't ask me questions about it.

View attachment 240036 View attachment 240037
...and there goes your answer on whether the rules will be enforced.:banghead::banghead::banghead:

21stamps

Unfortunately, that’s Disney's customer service on almost any subject. In my experience anyway.
That’s why I’m wondering about a policy in print.

I’ve called about something before, released on a blog or website, but not known by the customer service rep yet.

Regardless of the following post-
If you read what @drumbum67 wrote they said the person on the phone was unsure of the policy and couldn’t guarantee the rooms would be dog free. There are also going to be dogs in the lobby and shops and around the rest of the resort too which may cause a problem.

This isn’t asking for an upgrade it’s asking Disney to honor the reservation that the person made. When the reservation was booked the resort was dog free. It’s very easy for them to see that the reservation was booked before the policy change. Anyone with an existing reservation who requests a move to another resort because of this policy should be accommodated with an equal or higher level room free of charge. Going forward if you book at the resort you are taking the risk of running into dogs. Book at your own risk.

... it does happen. And has happened more than once. Which is why if it’s in print then you know you are safe.

Unless I misunderstood what you were saying completely, and you need to be in a resort who doesn’t allow dogs whatsoever... but then I don’t know why specific rooms would matter anyway.

peter11435

...and there goes your answer on whether the rules will be enforced.:banghead::banghead::banghead:
Since this isn't one of the resorts that allow dogs this is obviously another issue altogether and I doubt it's related to the new policy at all. Pictures don't tell the whole story. Unless we know more about the guest/dog and what happened after this picture was taken we can't say rules were not enforced. This picture is taken in one of the outer guest buildings and would likely not be seen by cast large portions of the day. Guests have been sneaking dogs in rooms for years.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Unfortunately, that’s Disney's customer service on almost any subject. In my experience anyway.
That’s why I’m wondering about a policy in print.

I’ve called about something before, released on a blog or website, but not known by the customer service rep yet.

Regardless of the following post-

... it does happen. And has happened more than once. Which is why if it’s in print then you know you are safe.

Unless I misunderstood what you were saying completely, and you need to be in a resort who doesn’t allow dogs whatsoever... but then I don’t know why specific rooms would matter anyway.
Based on the confusion over the policy and the lack of knowing whether the rules will even be enforced if I had allergy issues with dogs I personally would not want to take the risk. I would insist Disney move me to another resort.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Since this isn't one of the resorts that allow dogs this is obviously another issue altogether and I doubt it's related to the new policy at all. Pictures don't tell the whole story. Unless we know more about the guest/dog and what happened after this picture was taken we can't say rules were not enforced. This picture is taken in one of the outer guest buildings and would likely not be seen by cast large portions of the day. Guests have been sneaking dogs in rooms for years.
The Poly is dog free. The rules were clearly broken. Based on the story written nothing was done about it.

peter11435

The Poly is dog free. The rules were clearly broken. Based on the story written nothing was done about it.
I know the poly is dog free. I said that in my post. Which is why this has nothing to do with the new policy and is an issue that could and has happened for years. People break rules.

Without knowing more about the guest and the dog we can't say for sure that a rule was broken except for the dog being on the furniture.

It's likely that no cast members were present in this area to witness this thus were unaware and unable to enforce policy. And since we don't know what happened in the time after this picture was taken we don't know that a rule was not enforced.

21stamps

Exactly.. and it could have been someone visiting, or the dog visiting for a bit before going to Best Friends..or it could have been from last month.. we don’t actually know. ETA- just noticed the luggage. Another possibility- they were arriving or departing and snuck dog in for that time, after just picking the dog up from boarding, or before taking the dog to boarding. So many possibilities...

I do love the added drama of “the dog marked it’s territory.”

That may be true or may not be true..not all dogs “mark”. But in a Disney resort story I’m sure that they all do.

Last edited:

21stamps

Based on the confusion over the policy and the lack of knowing whether the rules will even be enforced if I had allergy issues with dogs I personally would not want to take the risk. I would insist Disney move me to another resort.

I don’t know the zones, if there is any, and I haven’t tried to check. Here’s a photo of POR though...
AC040773-5B6D-4A84-8F96-85F5129A4B9E.jpeg

So if you’re in building 15, and let’s say the closest “dog building” is 24... is that close enough to cause your allergies to act up?
I’m asking, because I don’t know..but would you not live in a closer vicinity to dogs than in that photo? Would you not vacation or spend a night anywhere else that would have dogs within that distance?

I’m not being sarcastic, I’m genuinely curious because the size of these resorts are so large.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Did you see a date on the photo?
What difference would that make?
I know the poly is dog free. I said that in my post. Which is why this has nothing to do with the new policy and is an issue that could and has happened for years. People break rules.

Without knowing more about the guest and the dog we can't say for sure that a rule was broken except for the dog being on the furniture.

It's likely that no cast members were present in this area to witness this thus were unaware and unable to enforce policy. And since we don't know what happened in the time after this picture was taken we don't know that a rule was not enforced.
OK so let me qualify my original post. Assuming the picture wasn’t altered and that the story that accompanied the photo was true then the rules were broken and again, according to the story the dog had time to bark at guests and soil the couch so nobody enforced the rules. Maybe after the picture taker left the dog owner was reprimanded but based on the story, the damage was done.

A series of rules on the new dog policy were released including no dogs on the furniture. If they can’t manage to enforce that rule in a resort where dogs are not even allowed how much more difficult will it be at a dog friendly resort? It’s not really Disney’s fault, it’s the entitled guests who can’t help themselves.

21stamps

OK so let me qualify my original post. Assuming the picture wasn’t altered and that the story that accompanied the photo was true then the rules were broken and again, according to the story the dog had time to bark at guests and soil the couch so nobody enforced the rules. Maybe after the picture taker left the dog owner was reprimanded but based on the story, the damage was done.

A series of rules on the new dog policy were released including no dogs on the furniture. If they can’t manage to enforce that rule in a resort where dogs are not even allowed how much more difficult will it be at a dog friendly resort? It’s not really Disney’s fault, it’s the entitled guests who can’t help themselves.

Sure, the story could have everything to do with the new pet policy.. but since it’s not at a ‘pet allowed’ resort, and the woman is clearly staying at Poly.. then maybe (logically?) it’s most likely unrelated.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I don’t know the zones, if there is any, and I haven’t tried to check. Here’s a photo of POR though...
View attachment 240043

So if you’re in building 15, and let’s say the closest “dog building” is 24... is that close enough to cause your allergies to act up?
I’m asking, because I don’t know..but would you not live in a closer vicinity to dogs than in that photo? Would you not vacation or spend a night anywhere else that would have dogs within that distance?

I’m not being sarcastic, I’m genuinely curious because the size of these resorts are so large.
So far the operators cannot even guarantee the dogs will only be in those 4 buildings. Nobody seems to know for sure. I don’t have a dog allergy so I can’t answer the question with certainty but I am pretty sure the issue isn’t walking past a dog friendly building it’s being in a dog room or maybe being in the lobby or enclosed spaces with dogs. Either way every guest who is booked at these resorts that has a previous reservation should be allowed to switch to another resort at no charge. They shouldn’t need to justify their request with a lengthy explanation of what might set off their allergies.

peter11435

Regardless of how much time the dog had to bark at guests it's possible there would be nobody there to enforce the rule if no other guests reported it. Unless housekeeping is present there are no cast members staffing those outer buildings. But like you ackowledge we don't know what happened after the picture.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Sure, the story could have everything to do with the new pet policy.. but since it’s not at a ‘pet allowed’ resort, and the woman is clearly staying at Poly.. then maybe (logically?) it’s most likely unrelated.
When did I say it had anything to do with the new policy. It’s not that difficult to follow. If they allow a dog on the couch at a resort that isn’t even supposed to have dogs it’s much more likely to happen at a dog friendly resort. In the Poly any CM that woman passed should have stopped her before the couch was soiled. At a dog friendly resort where dogs are allowed in the lobby it’s going to be a lot harder to enforce the no furniture rule.

21stamps

So far the operators cannot even guarantee the dogs will only be in those 4 buildings. Nobody seems to know for sure. I don’t have a dog allergy so I can’t answer the question with certainty but I am pretty sure the issue isn’t walking past a dog friendly building it’s being in a dog room or maybe being in the lobby or enclosed spaces with dogs. Either way every guest who is booked at these resorts that has a previous reservation should be allowed to switch to another resort at no charge. They shouldn’t need to justify their request with a lengthy explanation of what might set off their allergies.

So a business does not have a right to make any decisions if someone already has a reservation?
Do they guarantee that nothing will change from the time of booking until travel dates?

21stamps

When did I say it had anything to do with the new policy. It’s not that difficult to follow. If they allow a dog on the couch at a resort that isn’t even supposed to have dogs it’s much more likely to happen at a dog friendly resort. In the Poly any CM that woman passed should have stopped her before the couch was soiled. At a dog friendly resort where dogs are allowed in the lobby it’s going to be a lot harder to enforce the no furniture rule.

The picture is not in Poly’s main lobby. There is a very high chance that a CM never passed by.

Not the difficult to imagine, right? It’s a Yorkie.. it could have been in a bag or carried to the building without ever walking thru the main lobby..that’s entirely possible.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom