4 Day Mountain Getaway- Social Distancing Style

21stamps

Original Poster
Please tell me that someone can relate to this.,
The past few years, I’ve developed a strange fear of heights. I know that it’s irrational, I try to fight it.. but my palms get sweaty, chest gets tight, I feel dizzy, and I shake.
I don’t understand it!!!

I spent my whole life as an adrenaline junkie..I adore rollercoasters, ATVs speeding thru the mud, surfing, scuba diving (my greatest passion), speed boating, cliff diving, bridge jumping, sky diving, bungee jumping Etc.. I mean LOVED that stuff.

Then something happened. One day we were on the top of building, on a lookout, and I felt all of what I described in the first paragraph. I couldn’t believe it. What was happening to me?
I booked a doctor’s appt ASAP.. explained what happened..
My doctor said “ Nothing is wrong with you. It’s your age. You’re more aware of your mortality now, leaving your child behind, and it’s manifesting into a fear of heights.”
”How do I fix it?”
“Just try to push through when your feeling that way. You know you’re not in danger. Take deep breaths..... Or, you may just not be able to do some of the things that you used to do.”
“Yeah, That’s not an option. I’m not going to prevent my kid from having experiences, not over my sudden irrational fears.”

So, I’ve been pushing thru when it happens. The weird thing is, I feel like I’m about to pass out when going up a rollercoaster hill, or on a Drop Tower, or high stairs or bridges... but I’m fine once moving. It’s so strange!!

I knew this would come into play when zip lining, but I kept telling myself— “You’ve been on more intense zip-line courses than this one!! Think about Costa Rica, think about how much you always enjoy being up in the trees and zipping down the lines!”

Well, I thought I was doing ok while on the course. The guides laughed at me because, although I looked like I was going to pass out while going up stairs and standing on the swaying tree platforms.. I was fine while on the line itself. Positioned perfectly... and Stopped perfectly every time. They said they don’t see that often, especially when someone looks as scared as I did. 🤣

So it’s going ok, but... then.,, we come to a tight rope... I freeze, literally. Felt like I couldn’t breathe or move. T says “You can do it Mom. Believe in yourself! You got this!” — the kid now giving advice to his mother, that she used to have to give to him. I realize how sweet that was, yet how ridiculous that he had to do it... and I go.

I’m halfway across and it’s getting harder, moving more... I freeze again. Felt such internal panic.. palms are drenched. I don’t think I can go the rest of the way.
I’m humiliated.

T and the guide are trying to motivate me.. I finally get across.. T says “Good job mom. You fought through.”
Oh, my sweet boy.
then this-
“But mom, you also looked like a total wimp. Don’t be scared. You’re safe.”

Thanks, kiddo. 🙄

I asked if there was another tightrope that we would cross.. was told “Not til we get to Level 2, that one is 100 ft. across.”
Nope. I’m out after Level 1 is completed. I can’t do it, even though I want to. I don’t inform T yet., let’s just finish the Level 1 course first. I had booked 2 tours at the two levels which T fit the height/weight requirements., he did not weigh enough for Level 3 tour.., but at this point I don’t even care if I get a refund or not. I know that I can’t do the 100ft tightrope, and I’m furious at myself.

So, we finish the course. I inform T that we can’t do the next. He’s upset. He was having so much fun. I have not seen my kid this happy in nearly 2 months. It’s breaking my heart that I’m ruining it. I’m debating with myself if I can do the tightrope without freezing and having a panic attack... but I just don’t know. He says “Mom, what if I just go by myself?”
“T, would you really want to do that?”
“Yes. I’m not scared. This is awesome. You can stay on the ground and I’ll do the harder course. “
I ask the guide if he’s even allowed to do it without a parent., guide says “He’s 10, right?”
“Yes, for less than a month.”
”It’s ok. He’s old enough if you want to let him. We’ll be right there with him.”

I agree. I didn’t want to wreck his time over my ridiculousness

Off they go.. here’s a few shots that I took... from the ground.

See him, way over there? This was the longest one.. I would have enjoyed that part.
21258444-5F0D-4DB0-8CFF-CD70FC754CE5.jpeg

I don’t like the bridges, but they’re better than the tightrope.

0D1C8AC1-2A79-4FC5-9C52-F2AD287E32CF.jpeg

I would not have enjoyed this one. Going up the swinging inclined bridge, then up the staircase. Ugh. I hate this fear!! At least he had fun!!
90CA082C-F382-4F3B-B78F-392018E07ADD.jpeg
B0F731E6-D1AE-4CBD-AB89-A8A6D26B7E27.jpeg
3E40A211-4671-4F54-B36C-0EBEBFA6FB9A.jpeg04F3316E-1A89-4BDB-B859-41F0021D1944.jpeg

AAD5F2ED-621C-4780-81D9-EF1C3A533F9E.jpeg
17A4DD62-D827-4ED0-A732-8CE97517523E.jpeg

Last edited:

21stamps

Original Poster
When cell service first started around here, our house was a poor signal spot, and we had to go outside and walk up the hill to use the cell phone. Still have a land line just because of that, even though the signal inside the house is fine now.

I actually still have a landline, because my kid doesn’t have a cellphone. That would be rough not to use your cell phone at home, I’m glad it works now.

MySmallWorldof4

I decided to do a trip report on our recent quick getaway.. hopefully this is the correct place to put it.

Over the past 2 months, we’ve started hiking often, and geocaching. These have been nice outings during the pandemic.

We all get Groupon emails in our inbox, right? So, about a week ago, I see one labeled “getaways you may be interested in”. Open it, scroll quickly, see an option for a mountain cabin in Georgia. I’ve never spent time hiking in the mountains, only quick ski trips to Colorado. I’ve never spent time in Georgia outside of Atlanta. I’m intrigued by the offer- a few days of nature and trails- sounds like just what we need! Perfect Mothers Day. I call and ask if they’re really open, they say “Yes! Come on down!”.. They inform me of what their protective measures are, including contactless check in/out.

I book a 2 bedroom barrel cabin at Unicoi Lodge
View attachment 470678

The park is located just outside of Helen, Georgia. Excited to see an adorable little town, even though I know almost everything will be closed.
View attachment 470679

Then, I come to chit chat and ask if anyone knows of the area and has any tips. @epcotisbest comes thru with some fabulous recommendations! (and his consistent good advice on how much to plan in a day ;) )

Fast forward to Saturday night at 10pm- car is packed, we’re ready for a social-distancing mountain getaway.. hoping that restrooms will be open during our drive. Armed with paper towels, a box of disposable masks, Lysol, and 6 bottles of hand sanitizer, 5 travel, 1 large, our own sheets, pillows, blankets, cooking utensils, a coffee maker purchased specifically for the trip, Chinet plates, disposable cups, . —- all things that I’d never thought I’d pack for a road trip, excluding 2 bottles of sanitizer. All were provided at the cabin, but I felt more comfortable bringing our own.

We drive..
So glad you are making this report. That barrel cabin looks completely different than what I imagined. I imagined a big wine barrel shaped cabin. :hilarious:

MySmallWorldof4

Please tell me that someone can relate to this.,
The past few years, I’ve developed a strange fear of heights. I know that it’s irrational, I try to fight it.. but my palms get sweaty, chest gets tight, I feel dizzy, and I shake.
I don’t understand it!!!

I spent my whole life as an adrenaline junkie..I adore rollercoasters, ATVs speeding thru the mud, surfing, scuba diving (my greatest passion), speed boating, cliff diving, bridge jumping, sky diving, bungee jumping Etc.. I mean LOVED that stuff.

Then something happened. One day we were on the top of building, on a lookout, and I felt all of what I described in the first paragraph. I couldn’t believe it. What was happening to me?
I booked a doctor’s appt ASAP.. explained what happened..
My doctor said “ Nothing is wrong with you. It’s your age. You’re more aware of your mortality now, leaving your child behind, and it’s manifesting into a fear of heights.”
”How do I fix it?”
“Just try to push through when your feeling that way. You know you’re not in danger. Take deep breaths..... Or, you may just not be able to do some of the things that you used to do.”
“Yeah, That’s not an option. I’m not going to prevent my kid from having experiences, not over my sudden irrational fears.”

So, I’ve been pushing thru when it happens. The weird thing is, I feel like I’m about to pass out when going up a rollercoaster hill, or on a Drop Tower, or high stairs or bridges... but I’m fine once moving. It’s so strange!!

I knew this would come into play when zip lining, but I kept telling myself— “You’ve been on more intense zip-line courses than this one!! Think about Costa Rica, think about how much you always enjoy being up in the trees and zipping down the lines!”

Well, I thought I was doing ok while on the course. The guides laughed at me because, although I looked like I was going to pass out while going up stairs and standing on the swaying tree platforms.. I was fine while on the line itself. Positioned perfectly... and Stopped perfectly every time. They said they don’t see that often, especially when someone looks as scared as I did. 🤣

So it’s going ok, but... then.,, we come to a tight rope... I freeze, literally. Felt like I couldn’t breathe or move. T says “You can do it Mom. Believe in yourself! You got this!” — the kid now giving advice to his mother, that she used to have to give to him. I realize how sweet that was, yet how ridiculous that he had to do it... and I go.

I’m halfway across and it’s getting harder, moving more... I freeze again. Felt such internal panic.. palms are drenched. I don’t think I can go the rest of the way.
I’m humiliated.

T and the guide are trying to motivate me.. I finally get across.. T says “Good job mom. You fought through.”
Oh, my sweet boy.
then this-
“But mom, you also looked like a total wimp. Don’t be scared. You’re safe.”

Thanks, kiddo. 🙄

I asked if there was another tightrope that we would cross.. was told “Not til we get to Level 2, that one is 100 ft. across.”
Nope. I’m out after Level 1 is completed. I can’t do it, even though I want to. I don’t inform T yet., let’s just finish the Level 1 course first. I had booked 2 tours at the two levels which T fit the height/weight requirements., he did not weigh enough for Level 3 tour.., but at this point I don’t even care if I get a refund or not. I know that I can’t do the 100ft tightrope, and I’m furious at myself.

So, we finish the course. I inform T that we can’t do the next. He’s upset. He was having so much fun. I have not seen my kid this happy in nearly 2 months. It’s breaking my heart that I’m ruining it. I’m debating with myself if I can do the tightrope without freezing and having a panic attack... but I just don’t know. He says “Mom, what if I just go by myself?”
“T, would you really want to do that?”
“Yes. I’m not scared. This is awesome. You can stay on the ground and I’ll do the harder course. “
I ask the guide if he’s even allowed to do it without a parent., guide says “He’s 10, right?”
“Yes, for less than a month.”
”It’s ok. He’s old enough if you want to let him. We’ll be right there with him.”

I agree. I didn’t want to wreck his time over my ridiculousness

Off they go.. here’s a few shots that I took... from the ground.

See him, way over there? This was the longest one.. I would have enjoyed that part.
View attachment 470889

I don’t like the bridges, but they’re better than the tightrope.

View attachment 470890

I would not have enjoyed this one. Going up the swinging inclined bridge, then up the staircase. Ugh. I hate this fear!! At least he had fun!!
View attachment 470891
View attachment 470907
View attachment 470895View attachment 470896

View attachment 470897
View attachment 470892
As soon as I became a parent, I definitely became more aware of my mortality. It's pretty normal.

21stamps

Original Poster
So glad you are making this report. That barrel cabin looks completely different than what I imagined. I imagined a big wine barrel shaped cabin. :hilarious:

Well, almost every trip I take is nearly last minute.. and always have at least a few mishaps.. so I thought all of that, plus COVID-19 procedures.. may be an amusing read if anyone is bored at home.lol
Mostly though, I did want to document it, for me to look back on, it was different than anything we’ve done, for several reasons. I could have just typed it out myself on my own computer, but it’s more fun to interact with others.. plus I learn a lot of great tips here.. like creepy roads that aren’t so creepy after all ;)
Also, maybe someone will take advantage of the Groupon.. it’s still there.. everything is opening this week, so should even be more fun than what we experienced.. though we both loved the getaway, even with the closures.

As soon as I became a parent, I definitely became more aware of my mortality. It's pretty normal.

There’s definitely higher risk things that I wouldn’t do these days.. but a sudden fear of heights is the strangest thing to me. There’s no reason to be scared of that! I’ve considered hypnosis, but never follow thru with booking an appointment. It’s not getting better, and I can’t even describe how frustrated I am with it. I should be able to control those feelings, yet somehow, I can’t.

Last edited:

21stamps

Original Poster
The zip line start/finish was near the lobby at the lodge. I decide to try one more time to see if they had a cabin for us.. went to the Ring doorbell and waited..
Nope. Not ready.
It’s just after 3pm now.
I’ve been awake for 33 hours. I’m exhausted.

We go back to town to drive around until we receive the text for the room.
Town was crowded, and traffic.. stand still then slow moving traffic. Stores were open, band was playing, people all around. It’s Mother’s Day today. We were both shocked.
T says “Do you think they know about coronavirus?”
“Yes, T”
“But mom, there’s so many people.”
It was positive and scary at the same time. We didn’t want to go out in it.. but people were enjoying themselves, all ages, young to elderly. Walking along the streets and in and out of shops.
It was the first and last time that we saw this many people, and the shops open. I’m assuming it was specifically for Mother’s Day.. but we weren’t there on Saturday, so I don’t know for sure.. could have been a weekend-only thing.

What I don’t understand is, trails are closed.. but the majority of the stores were open (some remained closed).
Seems backwards to me, trails are much less risky, but I’m sure the shop owners/employees needed the business. This place is definitely a town who needs tourism, it’s built for it. I can only imagine how many have been struggling without it.

Betty’s looks packed, so we drive in search of another store.
See this one, absolute perfection. We buy some firewood and hot apple cider.
T remarks “People here are soooo friendly” (it won’t be the last time he says this.
I agree with him.

1589682273732.jpegAB6A8C08-4A74-45D0-A2EB-CF4C47F04815.jpeg

Unfortunately, that store didn’t sell anything that we could put on the grill. Betty’s is the only option.
We drive back there, in sloooowwww traffic.

I have to admit, it was heartwarming to hear a live band.
AE763528-9EB2-43D7-8403-AB42D680BDF6.jpeg2775156F-B21D-496B-9460-9D47C6C92364.jpeg

Get in and out of Betty’s with some grill items and sides.

It’s now just after 4pm.

I’m ready to call the lodge again. Look at my phone...I missed a text, during a dead service spot.
I look -
A6B5E534-1385-45C2-B9A4-42AA18D29756.jpeg

Ugh. 5 minutes after we left there!! Almost an hour ago. 🤦‍♀️ Oh well, it’s ready. “T, we’re getting in the cabin now!!”
Back to the lodge for the keys....

Last edited:

21stamps

Original Poster
More cabin... this was seriously a great “deal”!! Nothing fancy, but plenty of room for us, and gorgeous views. The barrel shape created some interesting spaces. The outside is metal, we could hear the wind against it.. and light rain on our final morning.

E80677BB-D08C-4666-9CDF-44577ED4C8DA.jpeg6981525D-D69C-413E-8B2B-14FC0583A5EC.jpegD0126EAF-AB6B-41A9-A87A-439875D81424.jpeg56102116-B720-4970-951F-83087EBBA80A.jpeg

Last edited:

21stamps

Original Poster
We unpack...

I obviously brought way too many snacks,

E865D321-6C1B-46D8-A22A-77D673E2E04D.jpeg

Unpacking is finished,.

Time to grill!!!
This is the area in front of our cabin.. there’s steps that lead up to the door.. it’s built on stilts.

Steak kebabs for both of us.. Tilapia for T.

4619D3B7-E78C-4A43-84FE-184698097BC6.jpeg1BCEFCE7-5FE5-4BF2-99B0-CA7D6011EDDA.jpeg

Note, the grill was not cleaned out prior to our check in. A little annoying, but not the end of the world. I did the best I could without proper brush or tools.

Last edited:

21stamps

Original Poster
T had devoured his tilapia while he was waiting for the steak to finish cooking.

It’s ready. We go back upstairs to add the delicious sides from Betty’s deli area.

My kid removed all of the peppers and onions.. apparently he only likes them when they’re cold- That started at that moment. Not sure why.

There was yummy broccoli salad too.. though he wanted to finish his Pimento Cheese first.. neither of us have had it before.. but he wanted it... then realized he wasn’t a fan, after his first bite. 🤣
1E933326-4629-4A2B-828A-E193C915C232.jpeg

There was way too much steak.. delicious, but a lot. Neither one of us could finish a kebab.

I’m literally the walking dead at that point in the day. I am trying so hard to ignore how tired I am.

Clean up the food.
We take turns showering.
Put on pjs.
Time for a fire and games (hopefully I don’t fall asleep n the middle of it.)

We mutually agreed to treat the TV as decoration only, we would not turn it during our stay.

Ran down to make sure that I didn’t leave any food remnants by the grill...because, bears...
This is the front of the cabin.
BACEA963-E07B-4868-B4C7-370E98A67A04.jpeg

We decided to sit on the deck for a few minutes and enjoy the lake and mountain view at dusk.
CB74E9E9-367C-4985-8F89-3D845C151A71.jpeg

Now time to enjoy a fire and a few games of Throw Throw Burrito.
B6C65452-47E2-4235-AF7C-214B4DFDFD47.jpeg

I lasted 2 games, til 9:30ish.. I couldn’t push off the tiredness any longer.
I’ve now been awake for 40 hours.
Had to get some sleep. 6 mile hike tomorrow. T didn’t want to admit it at first, but he was tired too. He must have fallen asleep as soon as he hit the bed. I went back in his room to say goodnight, after I ran downstairs to make sure the fire was out, T was already out as well.

I plug in my phone, watch, and GoPro- luckily I was a functioning enough zombie to remember do that (though I did forget to plug in T’s watch, he fell asleep with it on. Good thing his watch battery lasts longer than mine)
.... and then I promptly fell into some desperately needed sleep.

Last edited:

MySmallWorldof4

T had devoured his tilapia while he was waiting for the steak to finish cooking.

It’s ready. We go back upstairs to add the delicious sides from Betty’s deli area.

My kid removed all of the peppers and onions.. apparently he only likes them when they’re cold- That started at that moment. Not sure why.

There was yummy broccoli salad too.. though he wanted to finish his Pimento Cheese first.. neither of us have had it before.. but he wanted it... then realized he wasn’t a fan, after his first bite. 🤣
View attachment 470957

There was way too much steak.. delicious, but a lot. Neither one of us could finish a kebab.

I’m literally the walking dead at that point in the day. I am trying so hard to ignore how tired I am.

Clean up the food.
We take turns showering.
Put on pjs.
Time for a fire and games (hopefully I don’t fall asleep n the middle of it.)

We mutually agreed to treat the TV as decoration only, we would not turn it during our stay.

Ran down to make sure that I didn’t leave any food remnants by the grill...because, bears...
This is the front of the cabin.
View attachment 470961

We decided to sit on the deck for a few minutes and enjoy the lake and mountain view at dusk.
View attachment 470962

Now time to enjoy a fire and a few games of Throw Throw Burrito.
View attachment 470963

I lasted 2 games, til 9:30ish.. I couldn’t push off the tiredness any longer.
I’ve now been awake for 40 hours.
Had to get some sleep. 6 mile hike tomorrow. T didn’t want to admit it at first, but he was tired too. He must have fallen asleep as soon as he hit the bed. I went back in his room to say goodnight, after I ran downstairs to make sure the fire was out, T was already out as well.

I plug in my phone, watch, and GoPro- luckily I was a functioning enough zombie to remember do that (though I did forget to plug in T’s watch, he fell asleep with it on. Good thing his watch battery lasts longer than mine)
.... and then I promptly fell into some desperately needed sleep.
Helen looks like such a nice tourist town. I do remember watching a video on it before by a guy who does roadtrip videos on YouTube. We’ll have to get down there someday; maybe do it as a stopover on the way to FL.
I cannot believe you stayed awake for as long as you did.

21stamps

Original Poster
Helen looks like such a nice tourist town. I do remember watching a video on it before by a guy who does roadtrip videos on YouTube. We’ll have to get down there someday; maybe do it as a stopover on the way to FL.
I cannot believe you stayed awake for as long as you did.
Definitely. The Georgia Mountain Coaster is there as well, and river tubing, and the most amazing ropes course.. none of that was open last week, but I imagine that it’s an even more incredible trip when those things are open.

On staying awake- Me either!!!!

21stamps

Original Poster
My alarm goes off at 6am.
No, I can’t. I quickly reset it to 7am.

7am I slowly get up and stretch. Then head downstairs to make some coffee.
T is surprisingly sleeping. I don’t want to wake him yet, he must need the rest. So, I sit on the deck and enjoy my coffee in solitude, surrounded by chirping birds, the sound of swaying leaves, and wonderful forest smell.. The ambiance is food for my soul.

T comes down a few minutes later. We decided to start the day with a 1 mile run. On pavement, not the woods.

Come back from the run, I pour more coffee, walk in the other room.. to come back to this dimpled face asking if it’s ok to have some of our peach cider from Fred’s...
7BA9E6A5-1D12-4E2F-B844-1221DB291155.jpeg

“I don’t think that’s the best choice right now, bud. We have a long day of hiking. We’ll have that with our snacks tonight.”

Oh, btw, here’s our loot from Fred’s (so far) and a wonderful candle from Betty’s.
Seriously, I’m not even a big fan of peanut brittle, but this is amazing. Melts in your mouth.

3CEF163A-2027-41DA-A65E-8967902C7A8E.jpeg

Blueberry Protein Pancakes for breakfast. 00A40758-81AE-44A9-A284-0FD77D582F8E.jpeg

I had brought sugar free syrup with us, but then couldn’t resist real maple syrup at Betty’s. I allowed that for our pancakes. It was delish!
7EE7C14E-891F-4083-967E-0C189048AA2C.jpeg

21stamps

Original Poster
I had brought a case of bottled water and reusable ice cubes for the hydration packs.. and also froze a few bottles to try to put in as well.
T had a knife with him, good thing one of us thought of that.. so we were able to get the plastic water bottles open for the ice.
Sometimes my 4th grader is smarter than me. ;)

I pack my backpack with protein bars, plastic bags to conceal our wrappers when finished. Then I realize that T is napping. I let him go, sit on the deck and drink some more coffee and water.
He wakes up eventually, and off we go.

I admit that I’m a little sketched out over bears. Ok, more than a little.
I didn’t have them in my area in Florida. We don’t have them while hiking in Ohio.
The only place we’ve been, with bears, is Red River Gorge, but that trip was cut short by a trip to the Emergency Room. On Day 1.

I’m trying to pretend like I’m not afraid.. giving tips to my son, on what to do if we see a bear. Tips given to me by friends and good old Google.

Silent voice - “Please, God, don’t let us see a bear while hiking. Please.”

We go...

A0538AEC-1449-4CF2-92DF-5500FC9AC2EE.jpeg723E0F3E-0AFC-4FB6-994D-2825D0AA3EF4.jpeg

The wildlife clearing was a neat sight after being in thick trees for quite some time.
EBBD1E0D-40A9-4D59-B06B-A443129165D3.jpeg

Then a pond8AF456AB-6CAF-4A89-9252-7DFAE7329384.jpeg

Then this. WHAT??????? I knew about the bears... but snakes??? UGH.

I realize I sound like a wimp.. Here’s the thing, I am a marine life girl. I love all things salt water. I have no fear of diving with sharks and other creatures.
However, bears and snakes??? These creep me out more than I can describe. Maybe because they’re such an unknown to me... not sure...but, typically when we hike, we go off of the trails and look for water sources and enjoy being off the path.
We are NOT doing that here. We are staying on the trails.
ED756DED-BED2-46E7-A6C7-712F48D84926.jpeg

21stamps

Original Poster
Then we see this..

T says “Mom, I think this is bear marks.”
B7493D78-AE15-4424-B714-065EEA2AFAB2.jpeg

Could be, could not be. I have no idea.

Then I see T holding his knife.
4CA3386B-3ABB-49EB-9BC7-AB3B20A0C786.jpeg

“T, what are you doing? Keep that in your pocket.”

“Mom, if a bear jumps out, I’ll protect us. I’m 10 now, I can do it.”

Sweet sentiment, kid... but I don’t think that would work.

We’re now an hour in, have not seen one other person, which is a little weird.
The surroundings are beautiful, I’m trying to just let myself soak it in. Telling myself that hiking is a good hobby, and we won’t get attacked by a snake or a bear. ;).
683D04F6-874E-4A8A-B1A0-D11E0BE1EBAE.jpeg

Random Pepsi Can.
9CC8C097-F21B-4652-9E1A-B1CCC03199CA.jpeg

We look for fresh tracks.. Can’t make out anything, though..
0939052E-C2E6-4DA7-9632-3356C9BF00EB.jpeg

Continue thru the scenery,
B139149A-4618-4233-AFFC-CEDB8654807E.jpeg2A7047AC-3552-4FB5-A816-B8DEF1EA003C.jpeg

We came upon a fork in the trail, decided to take the one to the left... Unfortunately it ended abruptly about 10 minutes later. I’m not going off off of the dirt. So we turned around and went back the other direction.
0FA0C079-9E1E-49AA-BEC5-C3237B5B0E9F.jpeg

21stamps

Original Poster
I’m getting more comfortable now, we continue on the main trail, then see a narrow path veering off, looks interesting.. we decide to take it.
So glad we did! Took us down to water.. I think this is Smith’s Creek. (@epcotisbest may know)

We stayed down there for a long time. T finding rocks for his new collection.. trying to find good skipping rocks as well, but not much luck there. We also decided that this was a good spot to break for a snack. Though we did eat a little faster than usual, and I hurriedly put the protein bar wrappers into zip lock bags.lol.
We have yet to see another human being.

60B5ED6B-D5E2-4694-B14C-63189842C2B2.jpegA4DDBA2A-942B-44BB-95CA-16873D6A9CCE.jpeg9B1655F7-35FD-427C-8DFF-2D9304E80B69.jpeg272029AC-1294-4124-9E4E-A794C72EE8EA.jpegEE105E03-88D3-4DEF-A8EA-BA87C596B542.jpegD8DE65BA-0331-4F00-88DD-D84D6617C1C1.jpeg16774F4F-39D1-405E-A549-AE5748EE5CE9.jpegA873DDDD-8BB5-4DAC-BF0B-C11C488F6138.jpeg2337AF50-FD23-408E-AE83-4FC18B17F25A.jpegAB38D37D-ED07-46E2-BC4A-5F43D4D414C5.jpeg

21stamps

Original Poster
We ended up near the cabins.. decided to go back for a few minutes, have some Vitamin Water, since we were right there.

I check my watch to see our steps.. goal was 25,000 per day.

I’m shocked to see that we were less than 10k!!... We only hiked 3.5 miles??? We already did a 1 mile run in the morning.
But wow, 35 flights climbed is more than I’ve had.. that’s what made it feel like so much more C580EDC9-A83E-46D6-AA03-B6BA5B41353A.jpeg

Time to go back out.., we’ll do the park’s “Lake Trail”.

21stamps

Original Poster
A beach!!! (complete with another bear sign)

T is loving it!!!
And... if you look in the background of the frisbee pic.. you’ll see PEOPLE. Humans. Was nice to see that we weren’t alone out here. 🤣
19D60315-599D-4BF0-B2C3-69FC0D339BB4.jpegB33D5F91-C8E2-4D0D-B524-6B7713A5C78E.jpegF09CD88B-CF58-4B3F-91AC-FD3A736F859D.jpegB0E81E15-D03A-4E06-8FC3-BFFA7AA16E16.jpeg

Rona Hair in full effect. 😂

54201A19-0EE8-4E89-B6EB-7A9BB869EFE5.jpeg13E6BDC9-D817-4FD5-B8AC-73193A7DD819.jpeg55D34967-0F7D-4AAA-AE30-18997DA07506.jpegB6621D1A-6118-42AA-A1F6-ED5437E87E74.jpeg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom