$4 a gallon... we aren't going...

bjlc57

Original Poster
This is not Disney's fault. But at $4 per gallon, the difference in going to Disney right now is unbelievable. The total gas cost difference for us is the price of our food for the week.

I would like to know if anyone else has decided that the price of Gas has put Disney out of the loop for this year.

tigfan

This is not Disney's fault. But at $4 per gallon, the difference in going to Disney right now is unbelievable. The total gas cost difference for us is the price of our food for the week.

I would like to know if anyone else has decided that the price of Gas has put Disney out of the loop for this year.

I'm going in a few weeks (flying) and I'm really fortunate because we booked the trip before the airfares started jumping. Of course, the rental car will cost more than expected, due to the gas price. But we're just going to minimize our driving.

If I were you, I would maybe look at other ways to cut costs. Maybe instead of eating at the restaurants, you could bring energy bars and other snacks with you. I've done that before and you save quite a bit that way. Also, if you haven't booked your hotel yet, maybe look into getting a hotel room with a small kitchen area. Then you can go grocery shopping when you get there and eat breakfast and dinner in your room. I've done that before too and it saves a lot by doing it that way.

Rob562

I guess I'm lucky that I'm single and don't have an entire family to worry about paying transportation costs for... But for my trip this September I paid about 25-30% more for my airfare than I've ever paid to fly to Orlando in the past. (And it's about on-par with what I paid to fly round-trip to L.A. about 4-5 years ago)

I'm starting to get worried about my planned trip in January...

-Rob

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
It won't impact my decisions on whether to go or not. My visits are based on when DS and I are both going to be available, not so much on cost. :shrug:

I imagine there will be a number of people who end up not going though. Sadly, the way things are looking, it isn't going to ease up any time soon.

maryszhi

you can prob. get cheaper air flights. i am sorry you can go :( its a shame what our countries getting to. all the oil companies need to do something. lets hope this wont last.

xsupaxmanxsfnex

I'm sorry! That is so disappointing! Is flying totally out of the question? I saw the whole country protests and walks or ride bikes for a day.:drevil: haha That must be a huge drive for you, I can see why that could mess up plans. I hope you can go again soon!

LudwigVonDrake

Sorry to hear you won't be able to go. We were lucky to get reasonable (i.e.. more than usual but not astronomical) air fares on Southwest.

kadesha

It's a 9 hour drive for us. We are still planning on going, but if gas gets close to $5.00 we'll probably have to reconsider.

Dwarful

We have been paying $4.09 a gallon for a few weeks now. It really does hurt. However, we already had budgeted our hotel/food plan/park tickets. We were going to visit Universal, IoA and Sea World but thats out. Right now our drive from Illinois will still be cheaper to drive than to fly. But I am checking daily for any breaks in airfare.

Elonwy

I'm in the same boat with rising airfare. The cost to fly from Nova Scotia to Orlando right now is MORE than flying from here to London, England?!

My flight in March of last year cost about $600...it's twice that now. It would be cheaper for me to drive...even with the fuel costs.

Alexx

$4 a gallon, thats way cheaper than the UK.
for $4/£2(approx) we could get 2 litres(half a gallon) of petrol in our car.

mickeymouse090

It is horrible how these gas prices are affecting everything we do now. I'm sorry you won't be able to take your trip. For me I am single & don't have a family to worry about & when I go with friends or other family members we just split the cost of everything. I don't get to go often so when I do it is my one special reward. My last trip was in 2006 & I was supposed to go this past January but got sick & had to have surgery, so needless to say I had to postpone my vacation. We have now planned to go back in January 2009. One thing I have been doing & it helps a lot is saving all of my quarters for vacation. I know some people save all of their change & throw it in a jar or something but quarters are so much easier to count & roll!:ROFLOL:Every little bit helps & if you can get into that habit of saving the lose change you might be surprised how much you end up with.

DisneyGigi

I know what you mean! I am really sorry that you are not going to go.:( We are still going to go in late August because it is paid for but it is really changing our budget as far as what we will spend while we are there. It is unbelievable how much more it will cost us for gas and we have to think ahead and budget even more because who knows what it will be by the time our trip rolls around.

Fluxuated

If $4.00/Gallon breaks your bank, then you really need to rethink your priorities. Heading to Disney, probably wouldn't be a smart idea, if that makes you bankrupt. Geez, it's not like we didn't see this coming. Look at Europe.

disneytopdog

If it wasnt for the free dining promotion, we would not be going either. Even with the changes and having to pay for tip, It saves us money and made the trip affordable.

DizneyPryncess

I'm sorry to hear about your trip - you are certainly not alone on this. The whole country is in a bind over gas prices. I'm sure there are many vacations cancelled as a result. Ever since it hit the $4 mark, we've been trying to carpool & walk more than normal, if we're able to.

This is a good time to get a credit card that allows you to get points to put towards flights. We got lucky with our honeymoon flights, they weren't too expensive, but we had to book them way in advance. I hate to fly, and typically drive on all our trips, no matter how far. So this is becoming less & less of a possibility for us.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom