3rd gate ideas?

HongKongFooy

I rather go take a day at a river in CA than spend $$$ money for a water park full of thousand of people. I am too turn off to visit water parks.

You bet!
Give me some North Fork American River and I'm most happy........so much better than any Blizzard, Typhoon or Volcano Bay.

socalifornian

Oh man, Port Disney would be amazing. It too bad the Coastal Commission governing the ocean around there never budge for Disney proposal. It sounds like Long Beach show little interest in Disney proposal too. Probably because the reaction from citizens. No one wanted the resort citing more damage to the ocean and no one want more traffic.
Fast forward and the city wanted Angels playing near the water

DLR92

Perhaps someone with more knowledge can comment, but it was never clear to me if Port Disney was a live proposal or if it was really aimed at getting support in Anaheim for Westcot.
Port Disney project was NEVER a ploy of the City of Anaheim to support WestCOT.
Why would they waste time for that to publicly press about this ambitious plan for Long Beach. Port Disney had too many opposition. Disney opted not to continue on Port Disney with too many opposition from the City and it bad PR press.

October82

Port Disney project was NEVER a ploy of the City of Anaheim to support WestCOT.
Why would they waste time for that to publicly press about this ambitious plan for Long Beach. Port Disney had too many opposition.

Just to be clear, are you inferring from the opposition to Port Disney that it wasn't used to pressure Anaheim? Or are you stating that it simply wasn't, and the opposition makes that so much more clear?

Because there was a great deal of well documented opposition to WestCot as well. Since both proposals existed contemporaneously (Port Disney -1990, WestCOT - 1991), did Disney ever contemplate doing both of them?

planodisney

This isn't the midwest. There is no reason for another waterpark. We have the world's best beaches and a lot of homes have pools.
I love California, but, you can’t be serious about “the best beaches in the world.”
They aren’t even sniffing that position.

Th3 DUd3

Haven’t read anything, but the only true viable option is that Disney buys the Tolkien Estate and creates Disney’s Middle Earth in New Zealand. New IP.

That or Disneyland New Zealand/Australia. 🤣

update 1
On a serious note....it could be the first Adventures by Disney Theme Park.

Update 2
No new gate, just new lands. City will compromise. Yes, Lands. One would make Simba/CM parking/ DTD parking non-existent and Toy Story Parking lot will be the other. They’ll introduce an underground Boring Tesla tunnels to the new lands as a way to connect and theme.

Last edited:

Anjin

After the mention of WestCOT up-thread, I recall the World Cruise concept to move people between pavilions. You could hide a grade separated Gene Autry passthrough by hiding it between pavilions and transporting guests overhead without one group seeing the other.

Phroobar

Haven’t read anything, but the only true viable option is that Disney buys the Tolkien Estate and creates Disney’s Middle Earth in New Zealand. New IP.

That or Disneyland New Zealand/Australia. 🤣

update 1
On a serious note....it could be the first Adventures by Disney Theme Park.

Update 2
No new gate, just new lands. City will compromise. Yes, Lands. One would make Simba/CM parking/ DTD parking non-existent and Toy Story Parking lot will be the other. They’ll introduce an underground Boring Tesla tunnels to the new lands as a way to connect and theme.
It's a good idea but I wonder if the concept is passed its prime. LARPers would love it but Disney would never allow it.

4616665_orig.jpg

lotrmap.jpg

Robbiem

I feel like the best outcome for SWL at DLR would’ve been to build it as a separate “mini-gate” somewhere with separate, cheaper admission.

for what Disney tried to do this would probably have been a better idea but more expensive. Take the concept of the star wars hotel in florida and expand it out into a day adventure with more for guests to do. Keep the rides but add more interactive and ‘adventure’ based experiences a bit like you’d get on a cruise when it stops at a private island. Things like an adventure trail themed to jedi training with ropes, zip lines etc culminating in an encounter with vader, or a lazer quest / escape room style attractionwhere you are a rebel spy Trying to escape with The death star plans. Keep it as a smaller boutique park for a different kind of experience and charge a premium but limit the attendance.

not sure if it would have worked but I dont think the role playing aspect of galaxy’s edge really jells with the rest of Disneyland

Phroobar

for what Disney tried to do this would probably have been a better idea but more expensive. Take the concept of the star wars hotel in florida and expand it out into a day adventure with more for guests to do. Keep the rides but add more interactive and ‘adventure’ based experiences a bit like you’d get on a cruise when it stops at a private island. Things like an adventure trail themed to jedi training with ropes, zip lines etc culminating in an encounter with vader, or a lazer quest / escape room style attractionwhere you are a rebel spy Trying to escape with The death star plans. Keep it as a smaller boutique park for a different kind of experience and charge a premium but limit the attendance.

not sure if it would have worked but I dont think the role playing aspect of galaxy’s edge really jells with the rest of Disneyland
Good thing they took away all the role playing aspects of GE but went overboard by also removing music and any live entertainment like every other land in Disneyland has.

chadwpalm

In the Parks
No
Disney had 14 acres to work with at Disneyland for SWGE. They could have done anything they wanted with that much land. Why would putting the land in another park with just as much acreage have suddenly made their plans for the land any different? It's not like they were thinking "If Star Wars goes in Disneyland we make something nobody will like, but if we build the land in a magical third park we will only make it how everyone likes!" I really don't think Chapek's cheapness would have changed. It probably would have been worse since they'd have to make savings on an entire park, not just a single land.

Phroobar

Imagineers did their best but they can't control what park ops and entertainment does. Also park ops has no say on how the ride is designed and should be mainted. The two never work together.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom