3D Shows?

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
Original Poster
They do that for a lot of attractions. It’s called flooding. Cast hate it.
Interesting. I've only ever experienced it for Dinosaur. Specifically during the nighttime hours, probably to keep the line low before closing I guess.

What other attractions have done this? I'd be very curious as to how much of an effect it has on the experience. I want to judge.

WDWTank

So are there any 3D/4D shows anyone is afraid of Disney cutting due to 1). Enclosed spaces 2). 3D Glasses 3). Other reasons???

I'd personally be very upset if Philharmagic, Muppets, and Bugs closed. One of my absolute favorite hobbies at AK is to watch Bugs repeatedly. Not the show, but to watch all the big dads scream like little pansies and hear all the children cry due to parents not reading warning signs.

But back on topic... Would you be upset if any of these had to be axed upon reopening?
I would be upset, especially with Bug’s, those multi-sensory elements are one of a kind.
But it’s understandable to temporarily close the 3D attractions. Also, what would happen to Ratatouille?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Interesting. I've only ever experienced it for Dinosaur. Specifically during the nighttime hours, probably to keep the line low before closing I guess.

What other attractions have done this? I'd be very curious as to how much of an effect it has on the experience. I want to judge.
Tower and Mansion for starters. Now you can appreciate why the cast hate it. It’s usually done to get hourly figures up.

Marc Davis Fan

I mean... they sometimes just let people walk right on through Dinosaur’s pre-show

Yeah, and even when they're "running it normally," they start the pre-show before everyone enters the room. Really bad show. It seems like an easy fix, so you'd think Joe Rohde would have pushed for doing so, but it has been like that for years.

Per @marni1971's comment re ToT and HM, gosh I hope that doesn't become more commonplace. Especially for ToT, first-time riders will then have no idea what's happening on the ride, as they won't have been told the story. It's to Disney's long term disadvantage to do this, as it weakens the experience of some of their best attractions... especially at a time when they're facing more high-quality competition than ever.

UNCgolf

Tower and Mansion for starters. Now you can appreciate why the cast hate it. It’s usually done to get hourly figures up.

Flight of Passage is the only ride I've been on where I wish I could skip the preshow.

I understand it's to explain how everything in the ride is supposed to work and is part of the story, but I thought the whole thing was just annoying. It actually detracted from the experience instead of adding to it.

Last edited:

bryanfze55

So important for as many shows as possible to stay on when the parks reopen - not just the 3D shows. Also the animal trails if possible. What else is there to do midday at Disney World when you don’t have a FP besides shows and walkthroughs/play areas?

lazyboy97o

Flight of Passage is the only ride I've been on where I wish I could skip the preshow.

I understand it's to explain how everything in the ride is supposed to work and is part of the story, but I thought the whole thing was just annoying. It actually detracted from the experience instead of adding to it.
You, uh, did, uh, not, uh, find, uh, the, uh, writing, uh, uh, compelling?

DisneyCane

Sanitized after use. Not necessarily overnight.
I'm pretty sure it is health code everywhere to sanitize reusable 3D glasses after each use. They are treated the same as utensils in a restaurant, sometimes quite literally. I know Dolby 3D glasses are cleaned and sanitized using a commercial dishwasher in most locations that use them.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I'm pretty sure it is health code everywhere to sanitize reusable 3D glasses after each use. They are treated the same as utensils in a restaurant, sometimes quite literally. I know Dolby 3D glasses are cleaned and sanitized using a commercial dishwasher in most locations that use them.
Exactly. I had a tour of the USF glasses washer room (seriously!) and it’s quite an operation. Although once clean they go back into the “use again” pile.

Boek68

So I can’t speak for Disney, but for the amusement facility I work for, we will be NOT using the glasses and cutting the show to one projector. All Snow, Fog, Rain, & Wind is also being cut. In short it will be a movie with some lighting FX. Real shame but it makes sense. Will only be temporary.

peter11435

So I can’t speak for Disney, but for the amusement facility I work for, we will be NOT using the glasses and cutting the show to one projector. All Snow, Fog, Rain, & Wind is also being cut. In short it will be a movie with some lighting FX. Real shame but it makes sense. Will only be temporary.
Are your glasses thoroughly sanitized between glasses?

Last edited:

UNCgolf

You, uh, did, uh, not, uh, find, uh, the, uh, writing, uh, uh, compelling?

It's one of those things where I know what they were trying to accomplish -- they wanted it to sound like a natural conversation -- but it failed miserably. Refilming that scene with a better script would help a bit, but I found the whole process tedious.

_caleb

I heard a rumor that once a vaccine is available, Disney is planning to use the It's Tough To Be A Bug theater to administer it to guests using the bug-bomb fog and in-seat stingers.

Jon81uk

I don't think removing glasses from a 3D attraction does make sense, as long as there is a proper sanitation system and guests don't pick up a pair and put them back they are not that much of a risk, no more than cutlery/silverware/plates for a restaurant.

Boek68

I don't think removing glasses from a 3D attraction does make sense, as long as there is a proper sanitation system and guests don't pick up a pair and put them back they are not that much of a risk, no more than cutlery/silverware/plates for a restaurant.
To answer the question of if we have a process in place, yes. We have a machine and the glasses are cleaned after every single use. The problem with the glasses is not a practical one, it’s a problem of guest perception. People who are being cautious (as they should be) will be hesitant to want to use them regardless of what our sanitation process is. So for the short term the decision was made to go on without them or the 3D FX.

Getting people to trust in going back to amusement parks is going to be tough. We have to do everything and then some to prove we are safe.

Jon81uk

To answer the question of if we have a process in place, yes. We have a machine and the glasses are cleaned after every single use. The problem with the glasses is not a practical one, it’s a problem of guest perception. People who are being cautious (as they should be) will be hesitant to want to use them regardless of what our sanitation process is. So for the short term the decision was made to go on without them or the 3D FX.

Getting people to trust in going back to amusement parks is going to be tough. We have to do everything and then some to prove we are safe.

That makes sense I guess for a smaller park where people may not have the same “trust” as they would at Disney or similar.
People should trust that the glasses are as clean as the plates in the restaurants but without being told they don’t know how well they are washed.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom