3D show showdown!

What is Disneyland’s best 3D show of all time?

• Total voters

Rich T

Favorite park 3D experience: Magic Journeys
Favorite park 3D film with so-so 3D: Muppetvision
Favorite park 3D film with weakest 3D ever: Cpt. EO.

Favorite 3D movie ever: How to Train Your Dragon (the first one)

Ismael Flores

Terminator 3-D took the "film" into a show with the addition of live actors, and large props/AA's.

I would also give credit to CircleVision, a true 3 Dimentional experience with the addition of faux movement to the audience.

Also Flight to the Moon had the seats with movement, plus how all the different screens worked together.

Ah flight to the moon, so cheesy and yet so entertaining

Rich T

Ah flight to the moon, so cheesy and yet so entertaining
I enjoyed it as a kid, and then really disliked "Mission to Mars" because of the way the mission was interrupted and you never reached your goal. And then the captain would joke that the odds of that ever happening again were a million to one. Ha-ha. Even as a kid, my main reaction was "Rip off!"
(EDIT) Imagine if something like that opened today. Like a version of Indiana Jones where a rock prevents you from ever entering the temple.

Last edited:

Professortango1

TTBAB without question. Amazing queue/theatre design. Phenomenal AA's and practical effects. Catchy music. Immersive experience rather than just watching a film with 3D aspects.

Honey I Shrunk was pretty amazing for its time. Muppets...I appreciate it, but Waldo ruins the movie. Capt EO....I remember laughing at how bad it was when I was a kid in the late 80's/early 90's. When it came back I gave it another chance and nope, still a corny outdated mess.

Phroobar

TTBAB without question. Amazing queue/theatre design. Phenomenal AA's and practical effects. Catchy music. Immersive experience rather than just watching a film with 3D aspects.

Honey I Shrunk was pretty amazing for its time. Muppets...I appreciate it, but Waldo ruins the movie. Capt EO....I remember laughing at how bad it was when I was a kid in the late 80's/early 90's. When it came back I gave it another chance and nope, still a corny outdated mess.
If you want something dated and rather disturbing, watch Michael Jackson's Moon Walker. Michael turns into a car and a robot to save some children from Joe Pesci as a drug dealer with an army. I think the kids are safer with Joe Pesci.

Figments Friend

Captain EO all the way for me.
The ORIGINAL, with all the original cool in-house effects present.
SO freaking fun to experience in person!
The 'Tribute' version was a nice come back, but it was a shame they did not include all of the original theater effects such as the fog machines, laser effects, and fiber options.

'Muppet Vision 3-D' would be my second choice, although i'm not a big Muppets fan.
I enjoyed watching the in-theater effects and animatronics more then the actual 3-D film, and of course always loved seeing Sweetum's come out into the audience.

'It's Tough To Be A Bug' i would rate my third choice.
The film and the in-theater effects were a fun novelty, and i loved the giant animatronic Hopper.
I would take my 3d 'Bug Eyes' off to watch him front and center during his segment.

'Magic Journeys' was amazing at the time when it was first shown, but i wouldn't rank it high on my personal list.
From a nostalgia standpoint, i will list this one as a Honorable Mention.
The song is great....very nostalgic, and Marty Sklar's favorite Sherman Brothers song.

'Honey I Shrunk The Audience' i absolutely despise with a passion, primarily because of the horrendous infleuence and eventual damage it did to the Imagination Pavillions' future at Epcot.
The film itself i found rather dull and corny, and there were very few memorable 3-D effects.
Probably the only real highlight was when the theater is 'shrunk' and for a few moments picked up and 'shaken' around by the film characters.

-

-

ObscurityPoint

What does Muppet Vision at DCA even look like on the inside now? Ik it’s closed, but during all those stupid previews they played in that theater, are the statler and waldorf animatronics and effects kind of just left sitting there lifelessly? (If so then I found Matt Sonswa’s next adventure).

Touchdown

Mickey’s Philharmagic. Pure magic, the only show where I constantly see kids interacting with the movie (while it occurs in a few locations, the most popular reaction is reaching out to grab Donald when he asks for help while being sucked into the vortex at the beginning.). I also love that they placed an animatronic of Donald’s rear end as the end show stinger. This show needs to come to DL.

George Lucas on a Bench

When I went to Epcot 94 and watched Honey I Shrunk the Kids instead of Captain EO, it was the first time I became disillusioned with Disney. Don't get me wrong, I love Rick Moranis and that show was alright aside from the terrible unskippable schmaltzy preshow for Kodak film and the rat jump scare in the dark, which scared the crap out of me. I just thought Captain EO was better.

DrAlice

I enjoyed Muppets, but liked ITTBAB better. However, my daughter did not make it through this show. Hopper scared her so badly we had to exit before the show was over.

You didn't include the Frozen Sing-A-Long in the list? It was cool! You know, cool, because the audience got to make it snow.... While they Let it Go...... (good luck getting it out of your head, now. You're Wellllcommmeee) ;)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom