3D movies without glasses?

DarkMeasures

Original Poster
I was reading in my bathroom reader and it says that there is a technology with LCD screens that allow 3D movies without glasses.

Do you think Philiarharmagic will use this?

MrPromey

Originally posted by WDW1971
Um...you were reading where?

Not where, what. He was talking about Uncle Johns Bathroom Reader… There are like 15 or 16 volumes of them. Get with it guys:

http://www.bathroomreader.com/home.html

Where do you think all my loose thread useless factoids come from? :lookaroun

Actually, it is from my bathroom reader calendar… which is located on my desk… which isn’t in my bathroom.

… and in answer to the original question, I think what they were talking about in the reader is a lenticular screen which works the same way that those 3D looking cards, kids books, posters and such do. You know, the ones that feel like they have the scratchy surface?.. This isn’t really the same kind of 3D we think of when we see 3D movies. It is more of an effect of looking into a cube than having something pop off the screen and the effect is only really noticeable when the viewing angle is not consistent (as in changing the viewing angle)... Not only would it be incredibly expensive to make a LCD screen that large with a resolution comparable to a projection based screen, it would also be somewhat difficult and rather expensive to apply a uniform coat of the material necessary to create the effect in a reliable manner on a full theater sized screen without noticeable seams which would be amplified by the backlit screen.… Not to mention that a seated theater doesn’t really provide the needed change of viewing angle to take full advantage of the effect.

SirNim

Originally posted by MrPromey
... and in answer to the original question, I think what they were talking about in the reader is a lenticular screen which works the same way that those 3D looking cards, kids books, posters and such do. You know, the ones that feel like they have the scratchy surface?.. This isn’t really the same kind of 3D we think of when we see 3D movies. It is more of an effect of looking into a cube than having something pop off the screen and the effect is only really noticeable when the viewing angle is not consistent (as in changing the viewing angle)... Not only would it be incredibly expensive to make a LCD screen that large with a resolution comparable to a projection based screen, it would also be somewhat difficult and rather expensive to apply a uniform coat of the material necessary to create the effect in a reliable manner on a full theater sized screen without noticeable seams which would be amplified by the backlit screen.… Not to mention that a seated theater doesn’t really provide the needed change of viewing angle to take full advantage of the effect.

WINDBAG! :lol: :lol: :lol:

space42

Originally posted by DarkMeasures
I was reading in my bathroom reader and it says that there is a technology with LCD screens that allow 3D movies without glasses.

They used to have one of those 3D LCD screens in Inoventions sometime in the mid 90's. It was pretty cool to see but the screen was very small (around 14-15"). It looked just as good , if not better, than 3D done with polarized glasses (all the current 3D movies at WDW are done this way)
As far as I know, MP will be using a regular projected image so it will require 3D glasses.

MrPromey

Originally posted by SirNimajneb
WINDBAG! :lol: :lol: :lol:

What? I'm actually being serious about this one. It uses the same method only instead of showing single frame images that change as you view them from different angles, it shows ones that are moving. The method by which it works is a bit difficult to explain without diagrams but I'm sure if you do a search on the web you can come up with sites that explain it.

wdwjmp239

Originally posted by DarkMeasures

Isn't the whole idea about watching 3D movies with the glasses would be to experience the full effect of the movie? Of course, you all know that when you watch a 3D Movie without the glasses, it looks blurry. The way the 3D glasses are designed is to blend the "blurriness" together. Well.. this is not the exact terminology, but we all get the idea ;)

MrPromey

Re: Re: 3D movies without glasses?

Originally posted by ntn_haqqer
Isn't the whole idea about watching 3D movies with the glasses would be to experience the full effect of the movie? Of course, you all know that when you watch a 3D Movie without the glasses, it looks blurry. The way the 3D glasses are designed is to blend the "blurriness" together. Well.. this is not the exact terminology, but we all get the idea ;)

What DarkMeasures is talking about is a technology that offers a 3D effect without the need for glasses to see it. It uses an entirely different method and yields results that are likewise different... Like I said before, unlike the kind with the glasses, this kind of 3D is better for creating depth than it is for creating a "pop-out" effect... It is sort of like looking at the screen and having it seem more like a window into a room or area behind it with real volume. You can change your angle and see objects in this "room" from dead on or you can move to the left and right to get side angles... Sort of like a hologram only in full color and on a large scale that can present moving video. If I can find a link that explains how this works I'll post it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom