300,000,000 Dollar Rehab for EPCOT

GoofyMike29

Original Poster
I heard that EPCOT is getting a $300 Million rehab, can anyone confirm this. When I find the link again I will post it.

GoofyMike29

Original Poster
here is the info

Orlando Sentinel reports that Disney officials are set to announce a $300 million makeover for Epcot. Also, a separate entrance might be created for World Showcase that would allow people to frequent the fine restaurants that line the lagoon without having to pay the full admission price.

I do not know how to post website links, but I know how to copy and paste and that is what I did so this is word for word. It came from a well trusted web site. www.wdisneyw.com, so I am a believer...and besides it sounds really cool!!

prberk

Post website links simply by highlighting the address that shows up in your browsers' address space (you know, the place where you type in http:... or www. ....), then right-click and copy, then paste it into your message.

Hope this was helpful.

And thanks for the info.

Katherine

I'm so glad Epcot is getting this rehab! It needed something to liven it up and quick. It was getting kinda old and less futuristic! Thanks for the link!

stingrock23

I'm glad Epcot is getting this facelift. It needs to be brought back to it's former glory. too bad they couldn't use that to rebuild Horizons or World of Motion. I miss epcot of the 80's. But i'm glad Epcot is getting some attention. Now if they could take down that epcot sign on spaceship earth, that would be really nice.

ArsonWinter

This could only be good. But what more could they really do? World Showcase could get more countries and rides, but that would take away from the "second entrance" idea. If anything, that would be for the hotels located around there to get more people in the park, which is smart. Anyway, besides Living Seas, Innoventions, and the Health pavilion, I don't know how much refurbising they could do in Future World. I guess that means more construction. To clarify, I mean they wouldn't dare touch Spaceship Earth, and many of the other attractions have gotten upgrades or are new (Universe of Energy, The Land, Test TracK, etc.). They still should put a Weather pavilion in, and the Honey I Shrunk the Audience is starting to look dated, although it must be popular. And Carosel of Progress needs to be in Epcot. It just fits in better there.

Hmm, I wonder if that figure includes Mission: Space?

garyhoov

Trophy Husband
Can anyone put that number into perspective? It sounds like a lot of money, but I wonder if a number like that will get eaten up pretty quickly in a park the size of EPCOT. If it includes money budgeted to projects that are already confirmed or widely rumored (Mission Space, modified alternate entrance, Living Seas facelift, monorail improvements etc.) I think the sum may disappear fairly quickly.

Can anyone comment with any estimates based on better information than I have?

jmarc63

This rumor could coinside with the rumor on another thread of a member seeing some surveying going on at EPCOT. Maybe , Maybe Not.

DisneyPhD

Originally posted by garyhoov
Can anyone put that number into perspective? It sounds like a lot of money, but I wonder if a number like that will get eaten up pretty quickly in a park the size of EPCOT. If it includes money budgeted to projects that are already confirmed or widely rumored (Mission Space, modified alternate entrance, Living Seas facelift, monorail improvements etc.) I think the sum may disappear fairly quickly.

Can anyone comment with any estimates based on better information than I have?

That is a lot of money (300 mil for a rehab) considering all of Animal Kingdom was built for around 800 million. If true, I wonder if that includes the budget for Mission Space.

space42

Originally posted by DisneyPhD

That is a lot of money (300 mil for a rehab) considering all of Animal Kingdom was built for around 800 million. If true, I wonder if that includes the budget for Mission Space.

Considering that Mission Space was 100% funded by Compaq, I'd say no.

pheneix

>>>look at the "rehab" of DL's Tomorrowland<<<

Yep, that was little more than a cruddy paint job, and they still blew over $100 million on it.

And as far as putting the $300 million rumor into perspective (even though it is not true), Epcot Center would have cost $2.2 billion if it were built today. So yes, $300 million is pretty small compared to a guargantuan park like Epcot.

WigglyWiggins

Id be interested to find out how disney would work this alternate gate thing if it ever became more than just a rumour. i just dont think disney would like non paying guests to see the fireworks....

jmarc63

Originally posted by WigglyWiggins
i just dont think disney would like non paying guests to see the fireworks....

Sorry to burst you bubble on that but anyone can go on property and find a stretegic parking lot and see all the available fireworks at WDW, so that is not possible to controll. I have seem fireworks from the resort I was staying at even if it wasn't the the best view since I wasn't trying to see them that evening anyway.

Cliff

Ahh yes.

"EPCOT Center" of the 80's. I used really love the "feel" that the park had back then.

Back then EPCOT Center had enough music at all it's pavillions that it could fill an entire album. ( I'm looking at it right now on my shelf....The Official Album Of EPCOT Center. Circa 1983. Still has price tag- $5.98)

But then what happened? Somebody decided the place had too much "magic". They decided to take away all the music. Sombody thought it was BAD that guests walk out of a pavillion with these terrible "jingles" in their head:

Tommorrows Child....It's fun to be free...Horrizons....Universe of Energy....Imagination.

Journy Into Imagination- Tearing down that magical ride and giving us an absolutly WORTHLESS waste of three minutes that they built for 10's of Millions...No Figment...Not music....NO MAGIC!!

The way they handled this one ride TOTATLY sums up how they have sterilized all of Epcot in the past 10 years!!!!

Think about it! It's true!

300 million for a rehab? Bring back that atmosphere. Bring back the wonderment. Bring back the music!!

More importantly.....MOST OF ALL.....Bring back that old fasioned Walt Disney Imagineering MAGIC!

CT

cymbaldiva

Heck - bring back all of the kewl food that used to be at the Sunshine Food Fair! Remember when all the windows had different things?

RobFL

Account Suspended
A thought:

The concrete "tiles" which make up the walkways in innoventions plaza around the fountain are being taken out and replaced one by one.

Each is about 8ftx8ft, and recently they're being done in pairs. Like, 2 being done and roped off, two left undone so people can wander through, then two more being done. This was as of yesterday on the mousegear side and about a month ago I saw work done roped off on the North and South ends.
(It has to sit for a day after the night's work - tis concrete.)

-Rob

stale32441

Maybe with all that cash they could acutally crate a new parade, instead of a recycled version of an old parade. Also. I think that Epcot needs more entertainment(I know, thats not what Epcots about, but...) And does Epcot really need THREE gates when all the other parks only have one? Maybe they'll use some of that money to put the ride that they originally planned to put in Japan in. Or , they could just give all Epcot cast a raise...

You know , whatever:p

The E-P-C-O-T, yes thats the park for me

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom