22 January 2003 Site Update: Diamond Horseshoe to close

kennyj29

uuuggghh

Every time we go we can't get in and it's off peak when we go. We walk in and there is never any tables available. All the years I've been there, never got to see it. But for everyone who is looking for something similar, try the Hoop De doo, it's a great show also and is similar. The only problem is , it's not at Magic Kingdom@@!!

prberk

Not another meet-n-greet!!!

I really like the idea of the saloon show. It needs to stay. Each area is supposed to make you feel you are really there, only in a fun way. The wild, wild west type show is great. I hope they either change their minds or provide another version of the show.

WDWspider

Hasn't everyone got it yet, they are turning the park into one big Cartoon World, they have enough different genres of characters now, that the entire place is becoming characterized. When Splash Mountain opened and Iago first went into the Tiki Room, I realized the bounds had been broken.. no longer was Mickey's Star Land (or whatever it was) and Fantasyland the home of toons. The same happened at DL... Tarzan's Treehouse anyone. Now, the MK has Buzz in Tomorrowland, Aladdin's Magic Carpets, and very possible.. Stitch in AE, along with Treasure Planet Characters. The entire park is now a Fantasy Place and each land merely represents an aspect of Fantasy. This is no longer the same MK, it is being slowly tailored more and more toward the kids and less toward parents and teens. It's sad, but it is a gradual process that has been happening, even with the CoP slowly fading out and gone at DL, and the increase of Characters in the park, and the decrease of alternative performers. On one hand it is logical... EPCOT takes place of the Tomorrowland of the Past, AK takes the realistic view of Animals and their mythology once sought after in Adventureland, World Showcase greatly takes over where Liberty Square leaves off. And well... quite frankly the Wild West view in America and from other countrys has changed a great deal since DL or MK first opened. This is nothing new guys, maybe it's just finally hitting us harder in the face. :(

Bayou_Tigerfan

Tabor is right (Figment is another great example), but I don't think Diamond Horseshoe is coming back. If you want it back, may I suggest that you write a great movie script set there?:animwink:

Why should anyone be shocked that Disney is giving people what they want? Kids love interacting with the characters and (as Spiderman says) MK is becoming more and more kid-oriented, as Epcot and the other parks continue to add teen/adult thrill rides.

The lines for character greets can be tremendous and character greets are so much cheaper than other attractions. Disney is promising its stockholders that it is going to turn a higher profit and this is just one more way that its going to do that.

So many people want WDW to stay the same, but it's not going to. My advice is to just go with the flow. :)

WDWFREAK53

Originally posted by Bayou_Tigerfan
My advice is to just go with the flow. :)

When it comes to the Magic Kingdom...

Not..."Go with the flow"...more like...JUST "Go with the kids"

(ok so what...I can be a kid at times...go with me :) )

pheneix

>>>The Diamond Horseshoe Saloon building will now host a character meet and greet<<<

If this is true, then it is a complete joke to close the Diamond Horseshoe. Literally, I think I've made jokes about doing that.

>>>Why should anyone be shocked that Disney is giving people what they want?<<<

You mean movies, television shows, and attractions worth the time it takes to see them? I don't really see any evidence of that. What I see now is Disney justifying the dumbing down of their parks "for the children."

You really kind of stumbled into the game plan though, although the idea was not to make anything kid-centric. The current line of thinking is for all new Disney attractions to have some kind of marketing tie-in so as to promote "synergy" and make the power that be look like genuses. This is really apparent at the new Hong Kong Disneyland, where all of the themed areas are being designed to promote Disney properties and not to transport people to another locale like Timbuktu.

>>>Disney is promising its stockholders that it is going to turn a higher profit and this is just one more way that its going to do that.<<<

They need to promise their customers that they are creating a product worth buying first.

yeah I loved that place. That was my turdey leg break. I would buy a turkey leg and then go in and watch the show. When I was done with it I would leave. It was a blast.

EthylCooper

Re: uuuggghh

Originally posted by kennyj29
But for everyone who is looking for something similar, try the Hoop De doo, it's a great show also and is similar. The only problem is , it's not at Magic Kingdom@@!!

And here I was thinking the only problem with Hoop De Doo was the $45 ticket price! :lol: :lol: hehehee :D

meeko_33785

Ok... that's enough for me. It never ceases to amaze me how negative Disney fans can be about attractions that arn't even opened yet. How do you know that the spirit of the original show won't be a part of the new character show. In my oppinion, this sounds like an improvment. Somehow, I trust MK entertainment. If it's from the same people that brought us Cinderella's Suprise Celebration, this could be the best show ever at the Diamond Horseshoe. Will it be? Who knows. We'll have to wait and see, but there is no reason to start badmouthing something that you don't even know what it is.

TURKEY

Originally posted by meeko_33785
Ok... that's enough for me. It never ceases to amaze me how negative Disney fans can be about attractions that arn't even opened yet. How do you know that the spirit of the original show won't be a part of the new character show. In my oppinion, this sounds like an improvment. Somehow, I trust MK entertainment. If it's from the same people that brought us Cinderella's Suprise Celebration, this could be the best show ever at the Diamond Horseshoe. Will it be? Who knows. We'll have to wait and see, but there is no reason to start badmouthing something that you don't even know what it is.

I'm not happy with the change. I think that a lot of the people here won't be.

Just like the Tiki Room, sounds like Alien Encounter, it appears that this show is being changed just to bring in newer popular characters and nothing else.

I think the show might be good if done right, with Woddy and Jesse it could be. Even if it is good, it's not going to get rid of my disappointment in removing a show and adding movie characters to it.

goofy47

Just a little reminiscing here.. : (

I remember 15 or 20 years ago, When you had to make same day reservations for Diamond Horseshoe. And racing to MK when it opened and going over to the town hall to make reservations for my family. I will sadly miss DH... Another one bites the dust... :(

WDWspider

Re: Just a little reminiscing here.. : (

Originally posted by goofy47
I remember 15 or 20 years ago, When you had to make same day reservations for Diamond Horseshoe. And racing to MK when it opened and going over to the town hall to make reservations for my family. I will sadly miss DH... Another one bites the dust... :(

Just curious, and not to pick on you in particular. But would you rather Disney never change? Would you rather they get old and stale. It was popular back then because it was new and fresh. This is the one change occuring that I really didn't think would turn into a thread like this. The more I see upgrades and improvements in the parks, the more I hear us feel so sad that they are being replaced, the more I start to realize I should be happy they are trying to please the masses in a creative, new and current way. I miss old attractions, that is why I take pictures and record them, but I'm glad Disney is smart enough and sometimes brave enough to keep moving forward in creative new ways. Some attractions I can see arguing about, 20,000 Leagues leaving with no replacement or update comes to mind. But, i even read people being upset when the skyride closed. I don't know, but it's really no big loss in the least IMHO.

Pioneer Hall

Originally posted by SewIn2Disney
It was a good alternative to the Hoop De Doo Musical Revue (and it was ceaper too!)

Eisner makes me sick:hurl:

It isn't Eisner. There are a lot of people that this has to go through before it gets to him. And if you really think about all he has done for the company, then he should do everything but make you sick. If it wasn't for him, the Disney company may not have even gotten past the 80's.

meeko_33785

Originally posted by SewIn2Disney
It was a good alternative to the Hoop De Doo Musical Revue (and it was ceaper too!)

Eisner makes me sick:hurl:

Another good point. Why would Disney want to have two similar shows on property? If people want to see a show like this they will go to Hoop Dee Doo. It's the same reason they closed the Lion King show at MK. Besides, Disney wants you to pay the money to see Hoop Dee Doo insteed of seeing Diamond Horseshoe for free (not, it's not a good reason, but it's the truth). Also, this may be a shock, but most of MK's guests are familes with children. Children like character shows and would most likley more kids would drag Mom and Dad into the Diamond Horseshoe if the show had characters in it. Change can be good and I find it unfair to base all judgement of the attraction on an unofficial press realese.

Pioneer Hall

Another good point. Why would Disney want to have two similar shows on property? If people want to see a show like this they will go to Hoop Dee Doo. It's the same reason they closed the Lion King show at MK. Besides, Disney wants you to pay the money to see Hoop Dee Doo insteed of seeing Diamond Horseshoe for free (not, it's not a good reason, but it's the truth). Also, this may be a shock, but most of MK's guests are familes with children. Children like character shows and would most likley more kids would drag Mom and Dad into the Diamond Horseshoe if the show had characters in it. Change can be good and I find it unfair to base all judgement of the attraction on an unofficial press realese.

Even though Kids will like a Character show more, I never saw any little kid complain about the Diamond Horseshoe. When I saw it in August there were two little girls who were dancing between the tables and the cowboy who was singing involved them in the show a lot. So will kids like a character show more, proabably yes. But no one disliked the DHS. I like others have to say that this is IMO not a crowd pleasing move for Disney fans. I will miss the show greatly, but I know with all things there has to be change :(

meeko_33785

Originally posted by DisneyInsider
Even though Kids will like a Character show more, I never saw any little kid complain about the Diamond Horseshoe. When I saw it in August there were two little girls who were dancing between the tables and the cowboy who was singing involved them in the show a lot. So will kids like a character show more, proabably yes. But no one disliked the DHS. I like others have to say that this is IMO not a crowd pleasing move for Disney fans. I will miss the show greatly, but I know with all things there has to be change :(

Notice they key point here: two girls were having a good time. Not a room full of kids enjoying themselves. Not kids telling their parents that DHS was something that they wanted to see. If the kids don't get their parents into the theater, it doesn't matter how good the show is because they won't see it. To Disney, this looks like a good move. Most MK guests want to see the characters. Like it or not that's what MK is all about now- the stories and characters or Walt Disney and the Disney films. I see this as a good move and hope it does not disappoint.

Pioneer Hall

Notice they key point here: two girls were having a good time. Not a room full of kids enjoying themselves. Not kids telling their parents that DHS was something that they wanted to see. If the kids don't get their parents into the theater, it doesn't matter how good the show is because they won't see it. To Disney, this looks like a good move. Most MK guests want to see the characters. Like it or not that's what MK is all about now- the stories and characters or Walt Disney and the Disney films. I see this as a good move and hope it does not disappoint.

Well I'm not saying that there weren't other kids having fun. I'm jsut telling you about these two specific children. I'm not going to go through the entire audience and tell you about each person. But...even if kids weren't dragging their parents in, shouldn't there be something that is geared a little more toward the older audience. I don't think that every show has to be for little kids.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom