21st Century Fox becomes 20th Century Studios

jt04

Strong disagreement.

Firstly, superhero films generally do not expand the genre in a real meaningful way. They play it safe to appease its target demographics, and while they’re usually pretty fun, they’re largely disposable and frivolous. The lack of ambition should preclude them from awards consideration. The only superhero film that truly deserved Oscar glory was Christopher Nolan’s The Dark Knight, and that was one of the most infamous Oscar flubs in recent history.

Art house pictures have a luxury that Disney and superhero films simply don’t allow for: they are usually only beholden to the creative force behind the camera, whether it be the director or screenwriter (if they’re not the same person). No matter what kind of film we end of getting, it’s uniquely the filmmakers vision, for better or worse. The story can go to darker places and challenge audiences in ways that Disney will never be able to, and when something so profoundly unique comes across the audience‘s path, it’s worth respecting and propping up.

Few exemptions aside, superhero films are largely made by committee, and are largely the products of a grand story path, and no necessarily a great writer or visionary (Nolan, Gunn being two of the biggest outliers to this rule). I don’t believe that deserves the glory over something created that is much more personal and unique to that particular filmmaker.

What is the fixation with "taking audiences to darker places" as you put it?

Great films can be made that do the opposite and still challange. Problem is the "Academy" largely doesn't consider such films to be artsy or cutting edge. Which is why the audience continues to dwindle.

Tony Perkis

What is the fixation with "taking audiences to darker places" as you put it?

It’s called an “example”.

I haven’t mentioned “darker place” in any regular pattern, so don't misconstrue my primary points.

Great films can be made that do the opposite and still challange. Problem is the "Academy" largely doesn't consider such films to be artsy or cutting edge. Which is why the audience continues to dwindle.
I asked another poster to define to me great, populist entertainment that the Academy doesn’t acknowledge. I would appreciate feedback, because otherwise, it reeks of people upset that their favorite Disney films aren’t nominated.

jt04

It’s called an “example”.

I haven’t mentioned “darker place” in any regular pattern, so don't misconstrue my primary points.

I asked another poster to define to me great, populist entertainment that the Academy doesn’t acknowledge. I would appreciate feedback, because otherwise, it reeks of people upset that their favorite Disney films aren’t nominated.

My comments were mainly my take on the entertainment establishment. They tend to reward one world view over another.

As for Disney not being rewarded, we likely agree. I do think SMB deserved a BP nomination. But other that that slight, no real argument.

My point all along has been Disney (or anyone else so inclined) can make great academy award worthy films that can also be Disney audience compatible.

Animaniac93-98

I do not. I think it got nominated for reasons that had little to do with the film.

There was much applauding when it was nominated, but after Green Book's win and this year's sole Black acting nominee being the woman who played Harriet Tubman it was clearly just another case of Hollywood's hollow tokenism.

prberk

It would really be nice to have a studio (20th Century, Touchstone, Hollywood) that would produce non-franchised material. We need more good standalone films with good stories and popular appeal.

Indy_UK

I think that’s what they will use 20th Century Productions but in hindsight, it may have been cheaper to resurrect Touchstone

erasure fan1

Avatar 2 should do really well its Avatar 3 and 4 where things will get interesting. Will the hype carry past Avatar 2?
Yea that is my thoght as well. If Avatar 2 is fantastic, it should carry over. If 2 is just meh, you might have a problem. I think there will be a lot of curiosity with 2, I know I'm curious. I'm not sure I'll actually go to the theater to see it but I am curious.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom