20th Annual Disney Night of Joy 'Pulls out the Stops'

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
Disney’s Night of Joy celebrates a milestone with the biggest contemporary Christian music lineup in the event’s 20-year history –- 14 acts that will fill the Walt Disney World Magic Kingdom with music on Sept. 6 and Sept. 7. Three of Christian music’s most-honored performers –- 2002 Artist of the Year Michael W. Smith, Steven Curtis Chapman and Kirk Franklin –- will be joined by rising talents and established favorites alike during the two evenings of special-ticket events. Here’s the lineup:

Friday, Sept. 6 –- Steven Curtis Chapman, Kirk Franklin, Mary Mary, ZOEgirl, Plus One, Natalie Grant, Phat Chance, The Benjamin Gate.

Saturday, Sept. 7 -– Michael W. Smith, Jaci Velasquez, Plus One, Audio Adrenaline, Stacie Orrico, Joy Williams, Petra.

They will perform at stages throughout the Magic Kingdom. Popular attractions also will be operating during Night of Joy hours -– 7:30 p.m. to 12:30 a.m. (after regular Magic Kingdom closing).

Tickets now available at Family Christian Stores in Florida

One-night tickets for Friday or Saturday are $34.95 plus tax in advance of event dates ($39.95 at the gate).
A special two-night ticket, available in advance of the event and providing admission to Night of Joy on both Friday and Saturday evenings, is $53.95 plus tax.
Individual tickets can be purchased at Family Christian Stores in Florida and at other selected Christian retailers. Tickets also can be purchased by calling 407/W-DISNEY.
Tickets for groups of 10 or more people are available by calling 1-877-648-3569. Special group benefits include admission to the Magic Kingdom at 4 p.m. on event-day and savings on tickets purchased by July 1.
Lineup has amassed more than 125 music awards
Among them, this year’s Night of Joy performers have combined for 113 Dove Awards and 14 Grammy Awards.

With 47 Doves and four Grammies, singer/songwriter Steven Curtis Chapman is Christian music’s most-often-honored artist. The accolades began in 1989 when the Gospel Music Association bestowed Songwriter-of-the-Year honors on the Kentucky-born musician. Most recent honor: the 2002 Dove Award for Pop/Contemporary Album of the Year (“Declaration”).

Between them, “marquee names” Michael W. Smith and Kirk Franklin have accumulated 45 Doves and five Grammies. Smith garnered six Doves this year including the top honor: Artist of the Year.

The Night of Joy lineup also includes 2002 New Artist of the Year ZOEgirl.

Among them, this year’s Night of Joy performers claimed 13 Dove Awards in 2002 – including four album-of-the-year honors. In addition to Chapman’s Pop/Contemporary Album of the Year (for “Declaration”), other awards were Instrumental Album of the Year (to Smith for “Freedom”), Praise & Worship Album of the Year (to Smith for “Worship”), and Spanish Language Album of the Year (to Jaci Velasquez for “Mi Corazon”).

Franklin earned the Urban Recorded Song of the Year award for “Thank You” (featured on “Kingdom Come, The Soundtrack”) while Smith earned the Inspirational Recorded Song of the Year award for “Above All” (on the “Worship” album).

Petra connects 2002 to Night of Joy debut in 1983
Petra, sometimes depicted as Christian music’s Rolling Stones, returns to the Night of Joy lineup for the first time in a decade -– and with group founder Bob Hartman making a rare concert appearance playing lead guitar.

Petra, which participated in the first Night of Joy in September 1983, is making a record eighth Night of Joy appearance.

For six of this year’s acts, Night of Joy is a brand new stage: The Benjamin Gate, Natalie Grant, Mary Mary, Phat Chance, Joy Williams, and ZOEgirl all are appearing for the first time, expanding the all-time Night of Joy talent roster to 81 different acts.

The long-running series of Walt Disney World contemporary Christian music events has played to a combined audience of almost three-quarters of a million people.

Smitty

Night of Joy events are a lot of fun but those kids are like wild animals. Silly me figured that Christian Youths would be very well behaved but I was wrong as could be. I guess just like any group of teen age kids when set free from their parents, they go nuts! I saw a lot of crazy stuff happening down there, but the entertainment is great and if people behave it's a lot of fun!

prberk

Wild animals

Well, Smitty, unfortunately you are probably right. I am a youth leader here in Richmond, and I do know that "church kids" aren't necessarily mature or well-behaved, especially in a party or concert atmosphere.

But along with all the craziness and lack of judgment in youth group activities like this, often there is bonding and actual praise. The bad apples should not overshadow the growth. Often that is up to the adults or more mature young peers in the group. Christ came for the sinners, after all, not to comfort the mature and comfortable.

Anyway, I hope Night of Joy goes off well this year. I hope to be there.

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
to whoever goes there, have fun.. I'll be home sleeping while this goes down.

Erika

Originally posted by SMCM
Believe it or not, the Night of Joy kids are even less behaved than the Grad Nite kids. It's horrible. :cool:

It's been my experience that the most sheltered kids often turn out the be the wildest as soon as they get a little freedom! And the parents have no idea... :rolleyes:

dalton30720

Originally posted by Erika

It's been my experience that the most sheltered kids often turn out the be the wildest as soon as they get a little freedom! And the parents have no idea... :rolleyes:

Sounds like you are speaking from personal experience. You are not talking about yourself are you? Just kidding.....

TravisMT81

It totally agree it is amazing, parents think they are doing the right thing but once these kids discovery things, eeep watch out!! Parents that provide a child with a more well balance view of the real world turn out better. -Trav

Erika

Originally posted by dalton30720

Sounds like you are speaking from personal experience. You are not talking about yourself are you? Just kidding.....

LOL!!! No, actually I was always a very good girl. However...some of the people I have met along the way...WHOA!

My husband went to Catholic school and has more than enough examples! He was also a good kid though, unless you count the giant p*rn collection he started at age 9. He was a grade-school legend :rolleyes:

wbboy29

Does anyone know if Cast Members receive free admission for these events? I am going to be down there at that time for the WDWCP and would love to see Kirk Franklin, but I don't think I could afford the ticket price.

DisneyWorldGuru

Originally posted by wbboy29
Does anyone know if Cast Members receive free admission for these events? I am going to be down there at that time for the WDWCP and would love to see Kirk Franklin, but I don't think I could afford the ticket price.

I think you can. :veryconfu I know with your CM ID card you can get into the parks but while I was in the WDWCP there were no events except Grad Night which I had to work. :mad: I am not sure if you can but I would call and find out. Good luck with WDWCP it was so much fun. Get used to very little or no sleep. :lol:

wbboy29

:lol: lol..... Thanks for the info. I'm sure I'll have a blast down there. I hope I can get in, I'm in my college's gospel choir here at school and we're doing a bunch of Kirk Franklin stuff this term. It would be a blast to be able to see him live. Thanks again.:D

Snow White 27

Oh man, I really wish I could go down there! I love like all of these groups! And yes I am a youth group kid but me and my youth group act very well, sure we get a little crazy sometimes, but I guess it just depends on who all is down there, some groups act different than others. But I really wish I could be there for it!!!!:)

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
Originally posted by wbboy29

nope.. we gotta pay. No discount either. Also, if you get caught there without a ticket, you will be terminated on the spot. No questions asked.

DisneyWorldGuru

Originally posted by mktiggerman

nope.. we gotta pay. No discount either. Also, if you get caught there without a ticket, you will be terminated on the spot. No questions asked.

That stinks! I thought WDW CM's got in for free. Oh well, I guess the only way you can get in for free is if you are working that night.

prberk

Good for you, Snow White 27!

Like I said before, sometimes some bad apples ruin it for everyone else.

As for the "sheltering" that people are talking about, I do think that over-protection sometimes comes into play with some kids of Christian parents (and I discourage it), but I don't think that is always (or even usually) the case.

I think what really plays most into unruliness in events like this, is that the churches organize large group trips with discount group rates that attract a crowd of younger teens (many of whom don't even regularly attend the church). Many of them come with friends, or come to get the discount. Unlike Grad Night, a wider range of kids, especially younger and less mature kids, can come to these events with a church group. I know that this happens with us in our church.

Definitely church kids can be "hellions" too, but my experience is that the biggest culprits are the large age-span, discounts, and size of church groups that come.

In the long run, though, you always know that maybe, despite the craziness, one of your kids (or visitors) will have a blast and start (or strengthen) a friendship that will last ... and maybe worship along the way!

Perhaps I will share this thread with my youth group and see how they respond... ;-)

Snow White 27

I agree! I think everyone needs to understand that a lot of these kids coming, are friends of the regular attenders, who just want to invite their friends and reach out to them. And I know that when my youth group goes to Cedar Point, that I am sure that someone might bring a friend that has never been to church, I think that if you want to grab a hold of someones attention, and want them to become a part of the youth group, invite them to an outing! Then they will see that you can have fun it youth group, without doing something wrong! But thank you very much, I am glad that there is someone else out there that thinks as I do! :) And you are right, these outings make (start) wonderful friendships!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom