20k league lagoon

Mr Disney

In the Parks
Yes
Just a thought

I just had a thought. If Finding Nemo does real well, they could re-open 20K as it is based on THAT movie. How cool would that be?

:king: :king: :king: :king: :king: :king:

WDW Imagineer

This is an exerpt from pixars website:

Finding Nemo is an underwater adventure between a father and son. Nemo, a boy clownfish, is tragically stolen away from the safety of his coral reef home, and his timid father must search the dangerous and unforgiving ocean to find him.

So I really dont think that it will have anything to do with 20K. But the lagoon could easily rethemed to fit in with the new movie.

Mr Disney

In the Parks
Yes
Story

Then 20K could have a strengthened story line. That would be so cool. And it would fit with the Fantasyland kiddie ride tradition.

TestTrackTom

I never had the chance to ride 20k under the sea....but i remember seeing the lagoon when i was younger...i'll look in sptember when i go

was the ride even that good? I wanna know what i missed out on

bearboysnc

quote "It does not cost much to build 4 walls and a ceiling."

I don't know about WDW, but at DL, the city TAXED by the square foot. There was some weird formula they used. There was NO space on property that went un-used. If it wasn't usable, they demolished it and/or built new. Thats why you see these "graveyards".

It's probably cheaper to rehab these items (which you'd have to do anyways), than maintain yet another building.

Mr. Toad

Originally posted by TestTrackTom
I never had the chance to ride 20k under the sea....but i remember seeing the lagoon when i was younger...i'll look in sptember when i go

was the ride even that good? I wanna know what i missed out on
While I admit that it would probably look dated if it were still running today, 20K was one of the best attractions in MK (it was an E ticket ride). Back in the 70's (and 80's if I remember correctly) it used to generate some of the longest lines at WDW. I remember seeing the line fill the whole queue and then keep going all the way back to the tea cups during peak times.

Was it worth that type of wait? Nothing is :animwink: but we made sure to catch it at least once every year when we would go.

I really wish this ride was still running. :(

Poncho1973

Re: The red lot

Originally posted by Mr Disney
The red lot is where the 20K subs are currently stored. Some space mountain vehicles also are lying around

This is incorrect. They are not located in the red lot. That's the cast parking lot.

no2apprentice

Re: Why?

Originally posted by 9-Eye
Why just let these artifacts lay around in a dirt lot outside? Why not sell them? And if they do in fact wish to keep them, why not keep them indoors? ...in a warehouse?

I'm not sure, but they might be keeping them around just for tax reasons. When I had a finances class w-a-y back in college, I seem to remember something about having capital goods that retain a monetary value over a long period of time (like large machinery, vehicles. or submarines!). Anyway, the value of the item depreciates slightly each year. As long as you own that item, the difference in value each year can be written off taxes as a capital loss. I believe it's a common practice for business to do this. Besides, they can't exactly sell them, so there's no income potential with that action. If they scrap them, they lose the tax write-off.

Maybe some of the members into accounting or business can shed more light on this.

TURKEY

Re: Re: Why?

Originally posted by no2apprentice

I'm not sure, but they might be keeping them around just for tax reasons. When I had a finances class w-a-y back in college, I seem to remember something about having capital goods that retain a monetary value over a long period of time (like large machinery, vehicles. or submarines!). Anyway, the value of the item depreciates slightly each year. As long as you own that item, the difference in value each year can be written off taxes as a capital loss. I believe it's a common practice for business to do this. Besides, they can't exactly sell them, so there's no income potential with that action. If they scrap them, they lose the tax write-off.

Maybe some of the members into accounting or business can shed more light on this.

I imagine that the subs have been fully depreciated by now. There are 3 types of depreciation: straight line (same amt. per year), double declining (lots at the beginning, less as the years pass), and one that is dependent on the amount the equipment is used per year (such as milage in vehicles).

no2apprentice

Thanks, turkey leg boy. Mmmm, maybe it all boils down to it just being cheaper to store them, instead of scrapping them. And, you never know when something you've saved may come in handy many years later (at least that's the line I give my wife when she makes comments about our basement "storage" :lol: ).

Lovecraft

Ok I have no clue what the signifigance of what I saw is but I will report it to you, maybe one of you know what it is for.

On April 15 of this year I was in the Disney-MGM park. I rode the backlot tour and in the blacklight lab were a bunch of props being painted of which I don't remember much but the last thing I saw in the window was a large bas relief style sign that said "Atlantis". It looked like a sign for an attraction, I wish I had a picture of it. Did anyone else see this sign on the backlot tour?

Anyone know its purpose? My brother and I commented that perhaps they were working on a new attraction based on Atlantis which we thought could be very cool.

--Lovecraft

bearboysnc

instead of scrapping them. And, you never know when something you've saved may come in handy many years later (at least that's the line I give my wife when she makes comments about our basement "storage"

You have a SUBMARINE in your Basement?

Fievel

RunDisney Addict
Here's the story on 20k lagoon....It's structurally unstable.....I doubt they will reuse it at all...You'll probably see it disappear altogether before they re-do anything.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom