2023 Walt Disney Company Annual Meeting Of Shareholders

Magenta Panther

It’s beating Frozen 2!!!

View attachment 709365

I think it's more a reflection that one of the biggest IPs and franchises, if not the biggest ever, produced a high-budget, highly advertised-film.

The movie is aggressively mediocre if anything. This isn't make a good movie and get rewarded, this is "use strong IP, reap rewards." This is how we get reboot after reboot after reboot. This is how we get Frozen 2, 3, etc.

I honestly think this property was the largest untapped property by a significant margin. We have to realize, this isn't even just a single franchise, but really a collection of franchises.

If we remember, Frozen rose to notoriety through strong legs, just like Encanto. The movies were good, and thus spread through word of mouth.

A frontloaded release like this, isn't a product of people seeing the film and being "this isn't woke, it's just fun, let me recommend to all my friends," but a reflection of the IPs and the advertising, which was largely just flashy colors.

You can twist this to fit whatever side of the culture wars you want, but its just seeing what you want to see.

The film reminds me of a poorly executed Lego movie.

This isn't The Incredibles, Spirited Away, Inside Out, Ratatouille, Coco, or even a Luca, Puss in Boots 2, or Soul.

The movie is mass-market media at its peak.

I see a lot of spinnin' around here. Not unexpected. You lot must cling to the idea that Disney's pandering isn't the reason its recent films have performed so poorly. You'll clutch at the ridiculous notion that a film wasn't promoted enough blah blah blah. Despite the fact that EVERY film that's made gets tremendous exposure through the internet alone. There's no such thing as under-exposure in this day and age. It's not called the Information Age for nothing.

BTW, new figures have come in for Mario's box office take. The original amount was around 195 million. It's now gone up to 205. In the U.S. and Canada alone. Now, I've heard that critics didn't much like the film. But moviegoers don't care. They saw ads for a film that's utterly clean of any agenda. Just good bright colorful fun. And they responded. And audience reviews have been very positive - the film was given an A via the audience tracker Cinemascore. Disney would be a fool if it didn't take note. But we'll see if it learns the lesson. My worry is that Iger has painted himself into a corner - he can't continue the disastrous course he's taken, and yet if he changes course, the backlash will be tremendous. Wow. Sucks to be him. :cool:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom