News 2023 TEA/AECOM Global Attendance Report, EPCOT Sees Significant Growth

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Fox Tv Popcorn GIF by The Four

donsullivan

Premium Member
I will not be able to get all the charts I like to build (for my own knowledge) until later today but I loaded some of the data in and one pattern I noticed is a clear market share shift from Universal to Disney of about 2.5% in the Orlando market. Disney gained that much and Universal lost the same. Sea World was flat on the market share front.

1723733647659.png

This trend pattern coming out of COVID shutdowns will be interesting once Epic Universe opens next year to see how it bends.

Disstevefan1

And this data is from when the walls were up, right?

What will the numbers be now that the hugely successful EPCOT renovation is now complete and the walls are down?

So is all the “lower attendance” talk fake news?

Splashin' Ryan

The Disney slump was because of visitation restrictions and Universal remained much more open giving them the gain. Now it just looks like its evening back out to where it was.

Also we need to remember the TEA numbers are (at least for disney) estimations as the exact number of people are not released by Disney.

Disstevefan1

In my opinion - I really think the industry should stop using counting bodies as a measure of success and measure per capita spending as a measure of success.

Andrew25

I will not be able to get all the charts I like to build (for my own knowledge) until later today but I loaded some of the data in and one pattern I noticed is a clear market share shift from Universal to Disney of about 2.5% in the Orlando market. Disney gained that much and Universal lost the same. Sea World was flat on the market share front.

This trend pattern coming out of COVID shutdowns will be interesting once Epic Universe opens next year to see how it bends.
Yes - my assumption is that Universal gained lots of momentum from new experiences at IOA (Hagrid in 2019, VelociCoaster in 2021), but lost significant momentum when people started to realize how much the parks have fallen off maintenance wise and that Disney is still a better experience (yes, even with all of the complicated requirements). It's not until late last year were we saw them start to invest back into the parks in maintenance and smaller improvements.

There will be a lot of investment needed at USF to make it competitive to WDW's plans.

Also we need to remember the TEA numbers are (at least for disney) estimations as the exact number of people are not released by Disney.
Yes, but the parks are involved in this report so that TEA isn't reporting anything out of line. Numbers may be off, but are aligned directionally. I don't think Disney would allow TEA to signal 20% attendance increase if they couldn't support that.

Dranth

I skipped DHS in 2023 for an extra EPCOT day last year. Looks like I wasn't the only one.
Did almost the exact same last trip. We spent 1/2 day in DHS instead of the 2 we normally do and plan on doing the same next trip. It just isn't a fun park to be in currently.

doctornick

Did almost the exact same last trip. We spent 1/2 day in DHS instead of the 2 we normally do and plan on doing the same next trip. It just isn't a fun park to be in currently.
But from the numbers, it certainly looks like DAK is the park most frequently skipped. Probably reflects a need to invest there more than anything (would be nice to get the TLK ride and a new nighttime show to go along with Tropical Americas)

Andrew25

Also these numbers are what make me laugh when people say Epic is a Disney killer.

Disney may see a modest decrease when Epic opens, in Florida only, but even that begs to be seen.

No one is close to their dominance globally.
I think a lot of talk regarding Epic as a "Disney Killer" is exaggerated. What it will do is reduce attendance at the non-MK park depending on how Universal prices their tickets and how difficult it becomes to visit. Long-term, Universal Studios Florida is the secret ingredient to being more competitive with Disney. That park is falling apart.

Epic will give Universal a short-term 2 year boost resort-wide, after that... Disney will be taking back a lot of the attention.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom