2021 D23 Expo Moving to 2022/TWDC 100th Anniversary Celebration Announcement

UNCgolf

So my question is, how much does that matter? Does the IP need to have longevity in order for the attraction to leave a lasting impact? Wouldn't that fly in the face of the argument that IP-less arguments make a greater impact, at least in theory? Will the average guest be more drawn to the fact that Epcot finally has a roller coaster versus the theme the roller coaster is built around? Have I asked enough questions yet? ;)

As I said above, it all depends on the quality of the attraction. If the attraction is mediocre or bad and relies on the IP to draw customers, then yes, the IP needs longevity for the ride to work. If it's a good or great attraction, then the IP doesn't really matter in the long run because people are interested in the ride for what it is -- Flight of Passage is a good example. The fact that it's themed to Avatar is almost irrelevant; you could replace the video with some new location with similarly beautiful scenery that was completely unconnected to Avatar and the ride would likely be just as popular.

dizneycrazy09

So my question is, how much does that matter? Does the IP need to have longevity in order for the attraction to leave a lasting impact? Wouldn't that fly in the face of the argument that IP-less arguments make a greater impact, at least in theory? Will the average guest be more drawn to the fact that Epcot finally has a roller coaster versus the theme the roller coaster is built around? Have I asked enough questions yet? ;)

I think the IP affects whether or not the attraction becomes “timeless.” Guardians just feels too much like a drop in the pop culture bucket. To your point, no, I don’t think the average guest will care about the IP more than the fact they finally have a roller coaster, but I also don’t think that an original idea on the same roller coaster would be any less popular. And I argue that it helps the attraction stay relevant for a longer time.

Brer Panther

He will be gone when Brer Rabbit packs his bags at Tokyo.
Oh, Iger will never leave. Long after all three Splash Mountains have been rethemed, he'll still be there.

That, and leadership is far more competent than that ******* Michael Eisner ever was.
Ah, yes, the "Iger's great because he's not Eisner" excuse. That's basically like saying "Donald Trump may not be a perfect individual, but at least he's not Adolf Hitler".

That was partly helped by his partnership with Katzenberg, who had his own ego issues but nonetheless played his part with propping the studio division. Once he was gone, Eisner ran Disney to the ground as quick as he helped propped it up. He's the reason garbage like Michael Bay's Pearl Harbor movie exists, and had ABC turn down shows like CSI and Monk, which really bit them in the *** as both have become pop culture phenomenona. That's not even getting into the disastrous Disney's California Adventure and Hong Kong Disneyland launches.
Yeah, and Iger gave us a million crappy live action remakes of Disney's animated movies (including the incredibly controversial Mulan remake), crappy Star Wars sequels, PIXAR Pier, a Fantasyland Expansion that gave us Seven Dwarfs Mine Train and nothing else of substance, Crack Addict Goofy's Slow-Moving Train Ride, and Muppets Most Wanted. Just sayin'.

SpoiledBlueMilk

I don't think that first part is true -- I don't think there's much evidence to suggest the MCU has more overall fans than Star Wars or HP. It's not like the MCU films have significantly outperformed those franchises in ticket sales; if anything Star Wars is still way ahead of the MCU using that as a metric. Force Awakens sold something like 15 million more tickets than Endgame, which is the biggest MCU film. Of course the number of Star Wars ticket sales dropped precipitously from Force Awakens to Last Jedi, but it's hard to know what that says for the level of Star Wars fandom in general. The HP movie ticket sales are a bit lower (still very good, of course), but you also have to consider that over 500 million copies of the books have been sold worldwide, so there are huge numbers of people who are fans who either didn't care about the movies or only became fans after the movies were out in theaters.

Basically I think it's hard to argue that the MCU has a wider market than Star Wars or HP because there's no tangible evidence to support that. I'm not saying that means it has a smaller market, though -- just that I think the overall market is roughly the same and HP/Star Wars have a larger percentage of those hardcore fans.
Maybe. I should clarify that by saying I think there are a hardcore base of Star Wars and Potter fans that is sizable, but the MCU pulls from an even larger casual fan base.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom