2021 Box Office Tracking

Jedijax719

I think it's great that Spidey is doing immensely well and is up there with the "greats" (in terms of box office that is)

What concerns me is not that the MCU is going so well. It's that the MCU, and superhero movies in general, are the ONLY things doing well. Theaters are becoming solely a superhero outlet. Jurassic World and Avatar will do well next year, but is there ANY room at all for a brand new breakout (be it based on a book or original stories)? Are those days over due to costs of production, pandemic, and streaming?

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I think it's great that Spidey is doing immensely well and is up there with the "greats" (in terms of box office that is)

What concerns me is not that the MCU is going so well. It's that the MCU, and superhero movies in general, are the ONLY things doing well. Theaters are becoming solely a superhero outlet. Jurassic World and Avatar will do well next year, but is there ANY room at all for a brand new breakout (be it based on a book or original stories)? Are those days over due to costs of production, pandemic, and streaming?
Studios are primarily going to push out "sure things" content to theaters. I suspect they will use streaming to push how those less than blockbuster type of content.

doctornick

Did we ever find out how much Disney gets from the No Way Home box office? IIRC, during the last round of negotiations, Disney offered to put a share of the production costs an return for a similar share of the box office revenue. I think they started with doing it 50/50, but the final agreement ended up being more like 20-25%. Even so, seems like that would be a nice chunk of change for TWDC from NWH.

Wendy Pleakley

Did we ever find out how much Disney gets from the No Way Home box office? IIRC, during the last round of negotiations, Disney offered to put a share of the production costs an return for a similar share of the box office revenue. I think they started with doing it 50/50, but the final agreement ended up being more like 20-25%. Even so, seems like that would be a nice chunk of change for TWDC from NWH.

25% according to the first article I could find. My recollection is that Disney didn't so much as "offer" to share costs as they demanded something closer to 50/50. I guess this was the compromise.

It's probably a fair deal, as both sides gain. Disney gets to use Spider-Man in the MCU and the Sony Spider-Man movies likewise benefit from that association. Would this movie have done as well without the MCU connection and presence of Dr. Strange? Hard to say, but the driving force seems to be Spider-Man nostalgia versus connection to the larger MCU.

Jedijax719

Studios are primarily going to push out "sure things" content to theaters. I suspect they will use streaming to push how those less than blockbuster type of content.
Yeah I suppose that is where we are. New hit properties will come from 3 places if anywhere:
1. A book series that takes off (like Harry Potter, Twlight, and Hunger Games did).
2. Something that offers a truly innovative and new visual experience (like Avatar did).
3. Something that starts off as a sensation on streaming that has the potential for big screen success (we've yet to have that).

I guess this is why Black Panther and Guardians of the Galaxy are two of my favorite MCU movies. I did not know anything about them beforehand and they were, to me at least, the closest thing to a new property than we had seen in a long while. I guess (again, to me) Shang Chi fit that category. They are existing entities but relatively unknown to the masses.

NateD1226

Original Poster

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Spider-Man: No Way Home has unseated the domestic total of Rogue One and The Dark Knight. No Way Home is currently at #12 on the all-time domestic list.

The question is if Sony is going to wait the full 90 day window before it moves the film to digital (DVD, PVOD, Starz, etc) or if they are going to do the 45 day window like recent films.

Jedijax719

The question is if Sony is going to wait the full 90 day window before it moves the film to digital (DVD, PVOD, Starz, etc) or if they are going to do the 45 day window like recent films.
No way they're putting this to home media after 45 days. People are and will continue to see this over other films. If anything, they will wait until at least The Batman comes out and finally steals some of NWH's thunder. 90 days minimum.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
No way they're putting this to home media after 45 days. People are and will continue to see this over other films. If anything, they will wait until at least The Batman comes out and finally steals some of NWH's thunder. 90 days minimum.
Maybe, or maybe not. It all depends on if it continues to do well week after week. If it starts to fall off I could see them pushing it to the post-theater market sooner in order to get that revenue started, just like every other studio has done in the last 2 years.

Jedijax719

Maybe, or maybe not. It all depends on if it continues to do well week after week. If it starts to fall off I could see them pushing it to the post-theater market sooner in order to get that revenue started, just like every other studio has done in the last 2 years.
The only 2 things that could stop it at this point are (1) total shutdown due to omicron or (2) The Batman, but that is not until March.

At the 45-day mark, it will still have at least $10-$30 million on the board just domestically alone depending on what happens with omicron. There's no direct streaming service to carry NWH so Sony doesn't have a direct deal with anyone to carry it.

It likely won't be available to home media in any form until the end of March.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
The only 2 things that could stop it at this point are (1) total shutdown due to omicron or (2) The Batman, but that is not until March.

At the 45-day mark, it will still have at least $10-$30 million on the board just domestically alone depending on what happens with omicron. There's no direct streaming service to carry NWH so Sony doesn't have a direct deal with anyone to carry it.

It likely won't be available to home media in any form until the end of March.
Sony has a Pay-One deal with Netflix that begins tomorrow for all new releases. And after that window expires Sony Marvel movies then go to Disney+, which will happen no matter what happens in the Pay-One window.

The only question regarding that will be if SM:NWH will follow the new deal with Netflix or go to Starz for its Pay-One window as was Sony's previous deal. Its been a question up in the air since SM:MWH technically is released in 2021, and Sony has been very quiet about it leading some to believe its under the new deal. Only time will tell on that.

Be that as it may, we can't fully predict what will happen in 2022 with this movie at this point. Maybe SM:NWH stays in some theaters until late-spring/early-summer, maybe it leaves in February. Either way again only time will tell.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Sony has a Pay-One deal with Netflix that begins tomorrow for all new releases. And after that window expires Sony Marvel movies then go to Disney+, which will happen no matter what happens in the Pay-One window.
Just want to point out that that includes all of Sony movies, not just the Sony-Marvel movies. It also includes a significant number of past Sony movies to wind up in the D+/Hulu/FX/ABC 'libraries.'

Sony is the only major film studio that isn't tied to a streaming platform through corporate ties. Thus, they can play the field. And that's what they're doing. They're getting paid twice by the two leading streamers: Netflix and Disney. The current leader, Netflix, gets first dibs. Then it lands with Disney.

The loser in all this is Starz, which used to get Sony Live-Action films. As a consequence, Starz's only feeders are its corporate parents, Lionsgate/Summit, and that's not enough to compete. They're actively looking to be bought out.

Also, remember, part of the Sony family is Columbia and Tristar. And Sony Animation. So... looking forward to The Emoji Movie on D+!!

NateD1226

Original Poster
The 2022 Box Office Tracking thread is up!

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Just want to point out that that includes all of Sony movies, not just the Sony-Marvel movies. It also includes a significant number of past Sony movies to wind up in the D+/Hulu/FX/ABC 'libraries.'

Sony is the only major film studio that isn't tied to a streaming platform through corporate ties. Thus, they can play the field. And that's what they're doing. They're getting paid twice by the two leading streamers: Netflix and Disney. The current leader, Netflix, gets first dibs. Then it lands with Disney.

The loser in all this is Starz, which used to get Sony Live-Action films. As a consequence, Starz's only feeders are its corporate parents, Lionsgate/Summit, and that's not enough to compete. They're actively looking to be bought out.

Also, remember, part of the Sony family is Columbia and Tristar. And Sony Animation. So... looking forward to The Emoji Movie on D+!!
I thought that was the case, but just the hedge my bets I put Marvel Sony films in case I wasn’t remembering correctly because I knew at least those would be going to D+ after Netflix.

NateD1226

Original Poster
Spider-Man: No Way Home has unseated the domestic total of The Lion King. No Way Home is currently at #11 on the all-time domestic list. The film will pass $600M domestically this weekend.

Magenta Panther

Spider-Man: No Way Home has unseated the domestic total of The Lion King. No Way Home is currently at #11 on the all-time domestic list. The film will pass $600M domestically this weekend.

That's the live-action Lion King, correct? As opposed to the good one?

Jedijax719

No Way Home has crossed over the $600 million mark domestically and is now #10 all time. It made around $53 million this weekend (it will be adjusted when actuals are tallied). I predict around $720-$730 million domestic when it leaves theaters.

It has also crossed the $1.3 billion mark world wide and sits at #12 all time world wide. It will cross the top 10 VERY soon. It will probably end up in the $1.6-$1.7 billion range when all is said and done.

NateD1226

Original Poster
No Way Home has crossed over the $600 million mark domestically and is now #10 all time. It made around $53 million this weekend (it will be adjusted when actuals are tallied). I predict around $720-$730 million domestic when it leaves theaters.

It has also crossed the $1.3 billion mark world wide and sits at #12 all time world wide. It will cross the top 10 VERY soon. It will probably end up in the $1.6-$1.7 billion range when all is said and done.
Yup! The info is in this thread now :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom