2020 - Projects & Refurbishments

SuddenStorm

Perhaps the things I want most for Disneyland in 2020 that haven't been announced are a fixed Fantasmic, Space Mountain to return, and a return of Soarin' Over California.

Let's hope for another slow summer to get TDA to panic and bring back Soarin', and let's hope for a sharp decline in dining package sales to help encourage some creative alterations for Fantasmic.

Disney Analyst

Original Poster
The original themes of small world... the idea that each culture is powerful, valid, special, and that the world belongs to us all despite our differences are timeless and powerful.

Reducing each of these cultures to the fake Disney movie that took place there cheapens the experience. Not to mention the fictional fish scene that was added for Ariel o_O. Good thing Hawaii now has stitch as their mascot!

Adding characters to small world would have potentially worked if instead of fictional Disney characters, they added representations of important and legendary individuals from each culture to show how each place has influenced the world.

Sure, it might have been mandated and dumped onto Irvine... but the execution was far from perfect. In fact, the new scenes are easily the worst parts of it, since there was none of Mary Blair's wonderfully designed show scenes to distract from Irvine's ineptness. The America scene stands out as a cheap copy of Mary Blair's unique style, and the Little Mermaid scene is also incredibly poor.

The other issue? By adding characters, the ride is now dated and limited to the characters that were around in '08. Instead of being the timeless attraction it was for decades that required little to no changes, it's going to require updating in the next 20 years as some of the characters added being irrelevant, or stronger characters for each culture are created within Disney and Pixar. Already, Coco is a strong candidate for Mexico... and Moana a far stronger candidate then Lilo and Stitch.

Let me add, one of the strengths of early Disneyland is the fact it didn't always rely on the films for content in the park. This allowed it to operate with some independence from the studio, and allowed the park to thrive during times when the studio wasn't. Not everything needs Disney characters. Adding Disney characters to small world is a strong indicator of a shift in Disney's approach to Disneyland. No longer is it a place where highly trained and passionate designers can craft and realize a Disneyland that's always improving and becoming stronger in it's own identity. It's now simply a place where Disney can sell the latest merchandise and (literally) advertise the latest film. This shift might not have short term ramifications... the fans the park gained through the 1900s and early '00s are still enamored with the park... but I worry that the people being born now are going to experience a Disneyland that's far weaker and far less appealing then the park we all know and love. Modern Disneyland is a far more superficial experience then in the past. That's not to say there shouldn't be IP in new experiences... but it's incredibly important that how IP is handled is carefully considered to help strengthen the Disneyland brand instead of fracturing and weakening the park and existing attractions (looking at you Galaxy's Edge and Disney characters in small world).

I couldn’t read it all. Too much for me to be invested in. I liked the additions. And funny enough watching Imagineering Story 5 solidified that for me. Also Kim’s discussion on how it outraged fans and it’s fun to see many still don’t like it.

Californian Elitist

Not to mention Small World has become some Disney version of Where's Waldo? Jack Sparrow in Pirates does the same, and more. And those bridges they added in New Orleans Square destroyed the look of the area.

This. The ride has now turned into a “hidden Mickey” experience where instead of appreciating the dolls from the different countries, guests are too busy trying to locate Disney characters.

SuddenStorm

I couldn’t read it all. Too much for me to be invested in. I liked the additions. And funny enough watching Imagineering Story 5 solidified that for me. Also Kim’s discussion on how it outraged fans and it’s fun to see many still don’t like it.

Apologies, Disney Analyst, if my analysis of small world and modern Disneyland was too long. Let me make it more succint-

I didn't like the additions, and funny enough watching Imagineering story 5 solidified that for me. Also, Kim's discussion on how it outraged fans and writing them off further solidified my disdain for her creative approach for Disney parks.

DrAlice

Because I'm too lazy to look it up... ;)

Has there been an official opening date announced for Avengers Campus?

Animaniac93-98

The other issue? By adding characters, the ride is now dated and limited to the characters that were around in '08. Instead of being the timeless attraction it was for decades that required little to no changes, it's going to require updating in the next 20 years as some of the characters added being irrelevant, or stronger characters for each culture are created within Disney and Pixar. Already, Coco is a strong candidate for Mexico... and Moana a far stronger candidate then Lilo and Stitch.

As proof of this, 10 years later the line up of characters was changed for Tokyo, including the addition of Moana.

Disney Analyst

Original Poster
And Kim Irvine herself admits to this saying "oh now we have fun looking for the characters".

She doesn't get it.

the context was that guest have said they have fun looking for characters, that they enjoy the addition. And I believe it. Regular park goers either don’t care, like finding the characters, or don’t notice. It’s only people like us that are passionate about the addition either for or against.

I am and have always been for it since it was announced. And honestly hated the lack of them when I worked at MK.

My taste is like a fine wine.

George Lucas on a Bench

I never had an issue with the characters but that farming scene with the Hollywood lights from Superstar Limo at the end is a pretty pathetic bit. It feels totally disconnected from the rest of the ride.

MK-fan

I never had an issue with the characters but that farming scene with the Hollywood lights from Superstar Limo at the end is a pretty pathetic bit. It feels totally disconnected from the rest of the ride.

yeah I’m not a big fan of that scene as well, a retooling would be great. Also, I hope The many adventures of Winnie the Pooh is next on this list.

Phroobar

yeah I’m not a big fan of that scene as well, a retooling would be great. Also, I hope The many adventures of Winnie the Pooh is next on this list.
WDI always likes to mess with the classics that don't need an attendance boost but they won't touch the many adventures of Winnie the Pooh with a ten foot pole.

Phroobar

I wonder if that means it’s not long for this world?
Maybe. It just seems odd they mess with every other dark ride but seem to have forgotten Pooh bear. I don't think we will every get the CBJ back but they could at least add some different motions to the ride vehicle. You can tell it was suppose to have bounced with Tigger but somehow they never got it to work. New vehicles would be a start. Trackless wouldn't add anything to the ride.

Phroobar

I sometimes forget DLR has a Pooh ride. It's the worst version in the world, buried in the back of the park and almost never has a line.

They should just turn it into an Ewok dark ride and say it's a part of Galaxy's Edge.
They could make it the loading queue for a X-wing dog fight coaster.

smooch

Maybe I am gonna be criticized for this but I don't see the IASW character additions as tragic as others on this board do. I do agree it changes the ride into a Where's Waldo of Disney Characters, but I also find it very easy to look past that. I used to hate the dolls as a very young kid so I never rode when I was very little, but as I got older I started riding it again and could appreciate the different scenes throughout the ride. I hadn't ridden in a very very long time because anytime I went with my family they never wanted to ride. I rode it with the characters for the first time last year and I noticed them while exploring the scenes as I normally did, not specifically looking for the characters. When I went again last year I rode again and again I was just looking around the scenes and again wasn't actively looking for Disney characters but I would still find them among the other dolls. I guess I am just saying for me personally I disagree with adding the dolls like everyone else, but it is not some completely ride ruining thing when I see a Disney character among the children of the world.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom