Original Poster
Attractions going down in 2020 for refurb:
  • Haunted Mansion
  • Snow Whites Scary Adventures
  • Indiana Jones
Attractions being built/Completed:
  • Rise of the Resistance
  • Avengers Campus/Spider-Man
  • Avengers E-Ticket (does this start going up this year?)
  • Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway
New Entertainment:
  • Magic Happens Parade
Now that news is out that Haunted Mansion will be down 2 months for refurb, thought maybe we should track all these projects. 2020 is looking like a big year for refurbishments and attractions being built/new entertainment.

We can add to the list as 2020 progresses. But this is mostly a place to discuss the new additions/projects as they happen vs the already existing Project Tracker.

Last edited:

Disney Analyst

Original Poster
Please elaborate. I'd love to learn more about Kim and her projects.

• 2019 Updated Castle: I personally love the new look for the castle.
  • 2009 Small World Characters: I know she did the best she could with the task of adding characters to Small World, and I personally enjoy the added characters and sorely missed them when working at MK.
  • 2009 Version of Lincoln
  • 2008 version of Sleeping Beauty Walkthrough: Love it, is wonderful.
  • Disneyland Dream Suite: I know many dislike the loss of the Gallery, but it's a gorgeous space
  • Club 33 Expansion: I know many dislike the loss of the Court of Angels and the off centre window, definitely some misses here design wise with that window.

SuddenStorm

• 2019 Updated Castle: I personally love the new look for the castle.
  • 2009 Small World Characters: I know she did the best she could with the task of adding characters to Small World, and I personally enjoy the added characters and sorely missed them when working at MK.
  • 2009 Version of Lincoln
  • 2008 version of Sleeping Beauty Walkthrough: Love it, is wonderful.

Respectfully disagree on both the Castle, and small world. I'd think the castle is great if the colors were toned down a touch, the roofs were real instead of plastic, and there weren't Stars painted on it. I will say at night it looks amazing, since the incredible night lighting on the castle obscures these flaws.

I've always heard that Baxter was the lead on the new walkthrough and Lincoln show, with Kim involved in the project in other capacities. Am I mistaken?

Disney Analyst

Original Poster
Respectfully disagree on both the Castle, and small world.

I've always heard that Baxter was the lead on the new walkthrough and Lincoln show, with Kim involved in the project in other capacities. Am I mistaken?

Unsure on lead/involvement status. Just the projects I know she was involved in.

SuddenStorm

Unsure on lead/involvement status. Just the projects I know she was involved in.

I do like the current iteration of the Gibson Girl... A project I believe she was lead on.

Small world is atrocious, the addition of characters dilutes the integrity and meaning of the attraction.

Not a fan of the redesigned club 33... The new entrance stands out in New Orleans, instead of blending it like it was intended. The loss of Court de Angels is also a tragedy. Yes, she didn't pick the project for the castle or 33, but the execution was lackluster.

Disney Analyst

Original Poster
I do like the current iteration of the Gibson Girl... A project I believe she was lead on.

Small world is atrocious, the addition of characters dilutes the integrity and meaning of the attraction.

Not a fan of the redesigned club 33... The new entrance stands out in New Orleans, instead of blending it like it was intended. The loss of Court de Angels is also a tragedy. Yes, she didn't pick the project for the castle or 33, but the execution was lackluster.

Castle execution is certainly a subjective thing to declare. I think it's high quality and she shines. I think we can all agree an off centre window for Club 33 was dumb.

In terms of character addition to Small World, I disagree fully. I feel the attraction is still the same in general, same message, but with a cute little addition that does not take from the attraction, and only made it stronger. Again, I think the fact it was likely corporate mandated should be taken into account. They were integrated quite well, minus maybe Woody/Jessie.

Disney Analyst

Original Poster
2020 is shaping up to be a better year for Disneyland then 2019!

Three classic rides getting fixed. A new parade. A new quality E ticket.

This is really exciting!

You are right.

Plus Avengers Campus in DCA. So much happening. Updating thread to be a 2020 Tracker in general.

JD2000

Respectfully disagree on both the Castle, and small world. I'd think the castle is great if the colors were toned down a touch, the roofs were real instead of plastic, and there weren't Stars painted on it. I will say at night it looks amazing, since the incredible night lighting on the castle obscures these flaws.
I love the Stars. But the contrast higher up is definitely too much.

JD2000

Not to mention Small World has become some Disney version of Where's Waldo? Jack Sparrow in Pirates does the same, and more. And those bridges they added in New Orleans Square destroyed the look of the area.

JD2000

I do believe 2020 could be the year for Tomorrowland to get refurbished and changed over time. Similar to what is happening in the Magic Kingdom over in Florida.

SuddenStorm

In terms of character addition to Small World, I disagree fully. I feel the attraction is still the same in general, same message, but with a cute little addition that does not take from the attraction, and only made it stronger. Again, I think the fact it was likely corporate mandated should be taken into account. They were integrated quite well, minus maybe Woody/Jessie.

The original themes of small world... the idea that each culture is powerful, valid, special, and that the world belongs to us all despite our differences are timeless and powerful.

Reducing each of these cultures to the fake Disney movie that took place there cheapens the experience. Not to mention the fictional fish scene that was added for Ariel o_O. Good thing Hawaii now has stitch as their mascot!

Adding characters to small world would have potentially worked if instead of fictional Disney characters, they added representations of important and legendary individuals from each culture to show how each place has influenced the world.

Sure, it might have been mandated and dumped onto Irvine... but the execution was far from perfect. In fact, the new scenes are easily the worst parts of it, since there was none of Mary Blair's wonderfully designed show scenes to distract from Irvine's ineptness. The America scene stands out as a cheap copy of Mary Blair's unique style, and the Little Mermaid scene is also incredibly poor.

The other issue? By adding characters, the ride is now dated and limited to the characters that were around in '08. Instead of being the timeless attraction it was for decades that required little to no changes, it's going to require updating in the next 20 years as some of the characters added being irrelevant, or stronger characters for each culture are created within Disney and Pixar. Already, Coco is a strong candidate for Mexico... and Moana a far stronger candidate then Lilo and Stitch.

Let me add, one of the strengths of early Disneyland is the fact it didn't always rely on the films for content in the park. This allowed it to operate with some independence from the studio, and allowed the park to thrive during times when the studio wasn't. Not everything needs Disney characters. Adding Disney characters to small world is a strong indicator of a shift in Disney's approach to Disneyland. No longer is it a place where highly trained and passionate designers can craft and realize a Disneyland that's always improving and becoming stronger in it's own identity. It's now simply a place where Disney can sell the latest merchandise and (literally) advertise the latest film. This shift might not have short term ramifications... the fans the park gained through the 1900s and early '00s are still enamored with the park... but I worry that the people being born now are going to experience a Disneyland that's far weaker and far less appealing then the park we all know and love. Modern Disneyland is a far more superficial experience then in the past. That's not to say there shouldn't be IP in new experiences... but it's incredibly important that how IP is handled is carefully considered to help strengthen the Disneyland brand instead of fracturing and weakening the park and existing attractions (looking at you Galaxy's Edge and Disney characters in small world).

Last edited:

SuddenStorm

You are right.

Plus Avengers Campus in DCA. So much happening. Updating thread to be a 2020 Tracker in general.

I still hold the opinion that Avengers Campus is going to be a huge win for DCA. From what I've seen, many mistakes made in Galaxy's Edge are being corrected. Incredibly excited to see it when it opens.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom